Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Design Rationale for DRL Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-17, 06:10 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
thanks! much appreciated!
Unfortunately the refresh rate caused my iPhone to not do a good job, but here it is anyways.

Old 07-16-17, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My new Lacrosse will probably be like that. Unlike my past cars, it has HID/Xenon full-headlights and a vertical LED light-bar.
Will this be your first car with HIDs? Or did your IS300 have them?
Old 07-16-17, 06:14 PM
RXSF

IS300 came stock with reflector xenons
Old 07-16-17, 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Will this be your first car with HIDs? Or did your IS300 have them?

Good question. It's possible it had HIDs (some of the older IS forums suggest that)....but I don't specifically remember them on my 2001 IS300, given that it was essentially a superficially-redone Toyota Altezza, and, in several ways, not a true Lexus in the usual sense of the word. I bought it mainly because, at the time, I liked the smooth I-6 engine, chronograph-style gauges, genuine metal chrome-ball shifter, bright-yellow paint job, and sound-insulation (And I was probably twice the age of most of the people buying that car LOL) Speaking of lights, that was the only true repair I had on it in five years of ownership...a fog light replaced under warranty, which was interesting, given that I rarely use fog lights.
Old 07-16-17, 07:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I don't think I've ever seen an IS300 without HIDs...

In any event, huge improvement. I will never buy another car with halogens again. I did once after being used to HIDs, the 2011 Jeep, and I was very happy to have the HIDs back when we got the 2014.
Old 07-16-17, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah I don't think I've ever seen an IS300 without HIDs...

In any event, huge improvement. I will never buy another car with halogens again. I did once after being used to HIDs, the 2011 Jeep, and I was very happy to have the HIDs back when we got the 2014.
Not surprising that the JGC would have HID's..after all, that's Jeep's flagship.

The funny thing about halogens is that, at one time, I thought they themselves were a big improvement over the earlier round or rectangle-shaped sealed-beam headlights. If my memory is correct, my (new) 1984 Mazda GLC was the first car I had with halogens, and, at the time, I was well-pleased with their night performance....they had a nice, more powerful white beam instead of the old, weak, yellowish beam of the 60s/70s sealed-beam stuff. In those days, though, the halogen bulbs simply didn't last, perhaps because of the stress on the bulbs....I replaced them on my GLC several times in the 100,000 miles I owned the car, though it was simple enough (even having to take the grille-cover off to access the mounting-screws) that I could easily do the work myself. And the GE/Sylvania halogen bulbs/light-assemblies were relatively cheap....$9.95, at the time, at Trak Auto. Later, of course, the manufacturers changed the design, for aerodynamic reasons, to the flush-surface covers and the twist-off/on bulbs that were accessed from under the hood, and you had to wear hand/eye protection because the bulbs could burst if you squeezed them too hard.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-16-17 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 08:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not all JGCs have HIDs, only upper trims.
Old 07-16-17, 08:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

New lighting technology comes and long as the times roll on. LED is by far the greatest improvement I have ever witnessed. But Xenon lamps were pretty good as well.

I do wonder what is next. I think some sort of laser projection technology will pehraps supplant LED

As of now, I probably would never buy another car without LEDs.
Old 07-16-17, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No doubt LED Is now superior to HID, HID is still a big improvement over halogen.
Old 07-16-17, 09:42 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
New lighting technology comes and long as the times roll on. LED is by far the greatest improvement I have ever witnessed. But Xenon lamps were pretty good as well.

I do wonder what is next. I think some sort of laser projection technology will pehraps supplant LED

As of now, I probably would never buy another car without LEDs.
Audi and BMW are moving towards laser projection, but Mercedes has been investing in current LED technology. If you are interested, the refreshed 18 S class has some super high tech headlamps that you can see much farther distance. Also, the current E class with the optioned LED projector headlights (not the standard LED reflector headlights) received the highest rating of any headlight tested -- and we got the the weakened version too, not the full matrix lights they get in europe
Old 07-17-17, 05:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

probably some stupid DOT rule, theres plenty of them
Old 07-17-17, 05:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
probably some stupid DOT rule, theres plenty of them
be interesting to know when the reg took effect, because as mentioned, my BMW does the opposite from the factory. Upon signaling or turning, it actually gets even brighter with the corner lamp turning on, and the corner lamp is the inside lamp on the grille. This is the complete opposite of a DRL turning off when signals go on.
Old 07-17-17, 05:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

all headlight and tailight designs have to be DOT certified, maybe some turn signals are closer to DRL than others and dont require the DRL turning off. We cant even have sequential turn signals here because it requires even the individual the turn signal elements (not the whole turn signal design) to be 2200 square millimeters.
Old 07-17-17, 06:30 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Unfortunately the refresh rate caused my iPhone to not do a good job, but here it is anyways.

https://youtu.be/ocd6tGcpzSw
Thank you for taking the time to film that. It looks neat! Now I want my cars to do the same!
Old 07-17-17, 10:27 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

In Canada DRL are standard. I see Dodge vehicles have the light out when the turn signal is going. Try this on a dark country road making a left/right turn and the left/right light goes out. Stupid! Turn blind into a corner at night, great idea.
Don't get me going about DRL in Canada. Now there are so many people driving at night with their lights out, cause the dash is lit up....my lights must be on! No the rear is still not on. There has been some proposed legislation here talking about removing the light switch altogether as there are so many people driving at night with their lights out. Car on, lights on.

Quick Reply: Design Rationale for DRL Behavior