Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Design Rationale for DRL Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-17, 10:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The laws do mention headlights with wiper-use, but they don't mention taillights. DRLs, on most vehicles, use the same bulbs as regular headlights (without taillights), and give the same effect as headlights....at a somewhat lower intensity. In fact, I asked a Virginia State Trooper about that, because, at first, I found the law somewhat confusing, too.
Mike, DRLs are not headlights. When headlights are on, tail lights are on. You can't turn the headlights on without turning the tail lights on. Laws require headlight use when wipers are being used. Again, DRLs are not headlights. Read the links and stop arguing a position that we both know isn't true.

It's really not confusing at all, "wipers on, headlights on" since DRLs are not headlights, they don't qualify.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-16-17 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-16-17, 01:41 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Both reasons given are legitmate reasons.

On vehicles that have separate bulbs for indicators and DRLs (as in cars with incandescent bulbs), it may be difficult to differentiate and distinguish turn signals from daytime running lights -- for any number of reasons, including how close they are together, and the exact colour of the DRL and indicator -- so the white DRL switches off when the amber indicator is on.

On vehicles that share bulbs, as in new LED DRLs, they cannot show 2 different colours at once. Colour-changing LEDs actually use 3 differently-coloured LEDs together -- mixing and matching red, green and blue -- to generate all possible colours. To produce white, all 3 LEDs are on. To produce amber, the blue LED is turned off, red is on full intensity and green intensity is dialled back.
Old 07-16-17, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Mike, DRLs are not headlights. When headlights are on, tail lights are on. You can't turn the headlights on without turning the tail lights on. Laws require headlight use when wipers are being used. Again, DRLs are not headlights. Read the links and stop arguing a position that we both know isn't true.

It's really not confusing at all, "wipers on, headlights on" since DRLs are not headlights, they don't qualify.
It's almost a moot point if you leave the headlight control on AUTO, like I do most of the time. Buick's system (can't speak for Lexus) system switches back and forth automatically from full-headlights to DRLs depending on ambient light conditions outside the car.....you'll notice that going in and out of a tunnel, for instance. It also varies the brightness of the video screen on the dash.
Old 07-16-17, 03:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

All this arguing, come on everyone. People need to do some research. Luckily Jalopnik did it for us.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-why-modern...hen-1792394567
Old 07-16-17, 03:02 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

It's almost a moot point if you leave the headlight control on AUTO, like I do most of the time. Buick's system (can't speak for Lexus) system switches back and forth automatically from full-headlights to DRLs depending on ambient light conditions outside the car.....you'll notice that going in and out of a tunnel, for instance. It also varies the brightness of the video screen on the dash.
On my past two Mercedes, the headlights will turn on when the auto wipers swipe a few times. I love this feature.
Old 07-16-17, 03:03 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i have yet to see this and I pay really close attention to the cars around me. Now I want to drive around until I find the feature.
Ill try to take a video for you
Old 07-16-17, 03:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
On my past two Mercedes, the headlights will turn on when the auto wipers swipe a few times. I love this feature.
Only Toyota that I am that does this is the Toyota Sequoia.
Old 07-16-17, 03:50 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Ill try to take a video for you
thanks! much appreciated!
Old 07-16-17, 04:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Only Toyota that I am that does this is the Toyota Sequoia.
I'm surprised the Sequoia does that. None of my Lexus cars have ever done that which is really frustrating. Jeeps did, my Kia does too.
Old 07-16-17, 04:59 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm surprised the Sequoia does that. None of my Lexus cars have ever done that which is really frustrating. Jeeps did, my Kia does too.
You can add Ford (C-Max) to that group too. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-16-17, 05:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think most cars do nowadays, just not Toyotas
Old 07-16-17, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I see a lot of vehicles every day every day with one-eyed Cyclops front ends while the turn-signals are operating. Under the conditions we usually drive in, here in the greater D.C. area, which is very well-lit-up even late at night, I don't think it's a big deal, since, even with only one light up front working, the roads and streets around here are so well-lit at night that visibility is usually not an issue at all. But, in rural or only dimly-lit areas, I can see where it might annoy some drivers...or even contribute to visibility problems, if you are dealing with a pitch-black or only lightly moon-lit environment, and you lose one of your front headlights while the blinkers are on.
Old 07-16-17, 05:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I see a lot of vehicles every day every day with one-eyed Cyclops front ends while the turn-signals are operating. Under the conditions we usually drive in, here in the greater D.C. area, which is very well-lit-up even late at night, I don't think it's a big deal, since, even with only one light up front working, the roads and streets around here are so well-lit at night that visibility is usually not an issue at all. But, in rural or only dimly-lit areas, I can see where it might annoy some drivers...or even contribute to visibility problems, if you are dealing with a pitch-black or only lightly moon-lit environment, and you lose one of your front headlights while the blinkers are on.
What are you talking about? What carmaker shuts off a front headlight when the turn signals are activated?!? No vehicle does that.

Again, DRLs are not headlights. Some carmakers shut off one DRL when the turn signal on that side is active, nobody shuts off a headlight.

Old 07-16-17, 05:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What are you talking about? What carmaker shuts off a front headlight when the turn signals are activated?!? No vehicle does that.

Again, DRLs are not headlights. Some carmakers shut off one DRL when the turn signal on that side is active, nobody shuts off a headlight.

Yes, you are correct. I was referring to DRLs shutting off with the turn-signals, not the full-headlights.......a typo on my part. So disregard the comment I made about about night-use.

My new Lacrosse will probably be like that. Unlike my past cars, it has HID/Xenon full-headlights and a vertical LED light-bar.
Old 07-16-17, 05:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My opinion on the DRL that turn off when the turn signal turns on is that it's part marketing. It seems to m that it is party marketing in a look at me type of thing. Never been a big fan of it. But I am sure for the Chyster and Audi fans, it is something cool.

Quick Reply: Design Rationale for DRL Behavior