Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-18, 12:15 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i have to laugh out loud at $50k to $60k for GTR.
The guy has no clue about this segment, period.

If it is indeed 380hp stock with a CGI block, I'm pretty much sold on it, considering BMW always underrates their engines.

At $60k, I'm fine with this price, but have been cross shopping a used MKIV, although I don't really want a used project car. I've been looking at GTRs recently as well and 2012+ are going for this ballpark as well, albeit I prefer the 2017+ refresh but that's $80k at a minimum.

Can't wait to see how it drives!
Old 09-29-18, 12:35 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,222 Likes on 857 Posts

^^ The block should be CGI, based on the BMW B58 but with differences. It may be substantially different enough to not really call it a "B58" any longer. No confirmation as to exactly what those differences are beyond the block alloy, a lot of Toyota redesigned components and the Yamaha cylinder head. Considering the MKIV TT Supra (export USA/CAN/UK/EURO models at least) were underrated at 320hp and made closer to 340hp or so this would also not surprise me.

$55k-$60k sounds about right considering what MKIV TT's used to cost in the 90's.

Aside, there is zero confirmation of this whatsoever but since we now know that a manual is "being developed" finally the most likely candidate might be the ZF S563 6-speed M/T gearbox since many BMW M cars already use it. Apparently it's extremely strong as-is:

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/toy...e-2#post-27303
Old 09-29-18, 04:48 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

i have to laugh out loud at $50k to $60k for GTR.
Laugh all you want, but its just reality.

Originally Posted by ST430
The guy has no clue about this segment, period.
Well we will see how sales will be and I have a feeling it will drop like a rock after the initial rush or the first yr, just like the LC. Lets see how many enthusiasts who has been crying for a new Supra will pony up the cash. It is nice that you are fine with the price, but I have a feeling many more are not.
Old 09-29-18, 12:39 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by situman

Well we will see how sales will be and I have a feeling it will drop like a rock after the initial rush or the first yr, just like the LC. Lets see how many enthusiasts who has been crying for a new Supra will pony up the cash. It is nice that you are fine with the price, but I have a feeling many more are not.
$50-$60K is not reality for a R35 when they came out are you kidding me? For what they are $70K new back in 08/09 was a good deal imo.

As for as MKV sales only time will tell really hard to say how buyers will react. They aren't building this car for old school MKIV owners like myself and others this is to appeal to a wider audience. Maybe the 50/50, weight , COG power etc.....will be their selling point but hard to say without final specs.
Old 09-29-18, 01:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Market for 2 seat coupes is very limited.

For $60-65k, the M2 is a much better buy than the Supra imo.
It has S55 engine and DCT/manual.
It also has a back seat and a fairly roomy trunk.
Old 09-29-18, 01:42 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't think it will be a big seller priced at 55-65K either especially if it is going to only have 300-360hp, the new Supra is not what Supra fans wanted, they did not want a Supra based off a entry level BMW roadster, with a BMW engine, BMW electronics, that is no longer a real Corvette/911 competitor anymore. It is not just the price, it is the shape, what it looks like, what it will be competing against, etc that is going to disappoint many Supra fans. Having said that your point about a $50-60K GTR or 100K or less new NSX is not realistic and does not make sense, for what those car offer/offered there is no way to get their prices that low, that does not mean I don't think the GTR is now priced too high, it is, I think it should be in the $75-85 price range and I think the NSX should be able to had well equipped for 150-160K, options should not take it anywhere near or past 200K.
Old 09-29-18, 02:33 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Market for 2 seat coupes is very limited.

For $60-65k, the M2 is a much better buy than the Supra imo.
It has S55 engine and DCT/manual.
It also has a back seat and a fairly roomy trunk.
M2 is completely different segment imho. The Supra may be cross shopped with a Cayman, but not an M2. If I wanted a pint size 2 door sedan looking couple, I'd look at an RS3 instead. I never even considered it to cross shop against, and I'm Toyco's target demographic: middle-age, former Supra MKIV owner, Toyota loyalist, excess income, and looking to buy a fun weekend car.

But you're right, the market for a strictly 2 door coupe will be limited to those who can afford it as a second or third car. There won't be many of those folks. As long as sales are comparable to a Cayman, I think it will be a success to Toyco as having a Halo vehicle to attract people to dealerships. Heck, I used to think FRS was a complete sales flop, but now I see them everywhere all modded up and everything. They aren't that fast but their owners love them for what they are and has attracted a younger generation into the Toyco umbrella.
Old 09-30-18, 02:54 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more I read up on the MKV Supra, the more I like it. Even 380hp for around $50k-$60k is a decent deal considering it handles really well. But I'll wait out for the manual version of the Supra before I make a final decision.
Old 09-30-18, 06:21 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't think it will be a big seller priced at 55-65K either especially if it is going to only have 300-360hp, the new Supra is not what Supra fans wanted, they did not want a Supra based off a entry level BMW roadster, with a BMW engine, BMW electronics, that is no longer a real Corvette/911 competitor anymore. It is not just the price, it is the shape, what it looks like, what it will be competing against, etc that is going to disappoint many Supra fans. Having said that your point about a $50-60K GTR or 100K or less new NSX is not realistic and does not make sense, for what those car offer/offered there is no way to get their prices that low, that does not mean I don't think the GTR is now priced too high, it is, I think it should be in the $75-85 price range and I think the NSX should be able to had well equipped for 150-160K, options should not take it anywhere near or past 200K.
Yes the GTR and NSX is worth more than $50k and $85k, respectively. However, these are halo cars that doesnt sell in volume. Instead of trying to make a profit or even break even, they should get it out to as many enthusiasts hands as possible, to use it as a marketing tool to help elevate the brand and its performance potential instead of spending millions on a cringeworthy commercial like the VW Jetta dancing car commercial. Taking a small loss on a few thousand cars per yr isnt a big deal to these companies. The LFA did just that for Lexus, for a while, but their followups were average at best and squandered it.
Old 09-30-18, 11:03 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes the GTR and NSX is worth more than $50k and $85k, respectively. However, these are halo cars that doesnt sell in volume. Instead of trying to make a profit or even break even, they should get it out to as many enthusiasts hands as possible, to use it as a marketing tool to help elevate the brand and its performance potential instead of spending millions on a cringeworthy commercial like the VW Jetta dancing car commercial. Taking a small loss on a few thousand cars per yr isnt a big deal to these companies. The LFA did just that for Lexus, for a while, but their followups were average at best and squandered it.
I don't think the LFA did much of anything for Lexus or giving Lexus much enthusiast credibility, there were so few of them made and they were priced so high that hardly anyone outside of Lexus enthusiasts even heard of the car, only a handful of people are ever going to see one out on the road, the lack of performance for the high cost did not help either. I have talked to several car enthusiasts that know of most supercars that never heard of the LFA. The LFA was really the car they should have priced much lower, like around 180K, and made many more of so more people would see them on the road/dealerships and it would get more exposure, that likely could have helped with sales of the GS F or RC F. Toyota could have absorbed the cost better then any Japanese manufacturer.

If have seen GTR's on the road, seen 2 new NSX's on the road and 1 at a dealership so they have gotten some exposure. I have never seen a LFA on the road or heard of anyone I know seeing one, local Lexus dealership never saw one nor got one in, said the cost of tooling to work on them was way too much and not worth it plus they knew they would have no local buyers.
Old 09-30-18, 11:39 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
M2 is completely different segment imho. The Supra may be cross shopped with a Cayman, but not an M2. If I wanted a pint size 2 door sedan looking couple, I'd look at an RS3 instead. I never even considered it to cross shop against, and I'm Toyco's target demographic: middle-age, former Supra MKIV owner, Toyota loyalist, excess income, and looking to buy a fun weekend car.

But you're right, the market for a strictly 2 door coupe will be limited to those who can afford it as a second or third car. There won't be many of those folks. As long as sales are comparable to a Cayman, I think it will be a success to Toyco as having a Halo vehicle to attract people to dealerships. Heck, I used to think FRS was a complete sales flop, but now I see them everywhere all modded up and everything. They aren't that fast but their owners love them for what they are and has attracted a younger generation into the Toyco umbrella.
I currently own a BRZ which i still enjoy driving and would love to upgrade to a Supra BUT it needs to have a manual.

I disagree M2 is a different segment.
They both will have turbo inline 6s and will weigh within 250lbs of each other. They are similar in legth and size. The Supra has better chassis but M2 has better engine, suspension, brakes, and can be used as a regular car as it has back seats and trunk.
People crosshop Cayman and M2 all the time. Unless track weekly both are good cars for occasional run.
Also there are other cars that are very attractive in this price range ($50-100k) for someone looking at a fun weekend car and has $$$ to waste:
1) 911T
2) Corvette
3) GTR
4) Cayman
5) M2 Competition
6) Shelby GT350
7) M3/4
8) Camaro SS 1LE

What concerns me about the 1st reviews about the Supra is its not hardcore enough.
The tuning on it is softer than on Z4. For a weekend car people want a beast and emotional experience not a quiet Camry.
Pricing needs to be in $50s at most.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-30-18 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-30-18, 01:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,390 Posts

I don't think the LFA did much of anything for Lexus or giving Lexus much enthusiast credibility, there were so few of them made and they were priced so high that hardly anyone outside of Lexus enthusiasts even heard of the car, only a handful of people are ever going to see one out on the road, the lack of performance for the high cost did not help either. ...
sadly i agree, and have said so, spectacular though the lfa was.

I have never seen a LFA on the road or heard of anyone I know seeing one
me either. except for seeing one (and getting an amazing ride along with scott pruitt) at a lexus event in s. florida.
Old 10-01-18, 05:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Them losing $30k-$50k on vehicle is not going to happen for Nissan or Honda or any other manufacturer.

It is a children's dream that manufacturer should sell you car at half the cost because something. In reality, if you are looking at it purely from cost perspective, you will never buy another car from the brand unless it is also priced at half the cost. It is not how you get long term customers. This is what Kia and Hyundai have gotten wrong all these years and now they are suffering for it.
Old 10-01-18, 07:19 AM
situman
Pole Position

I don't think the LFA did much of anything for Lexus or giving Lexus much enthusiast credibility, there were so few of them made and they were priced so high that hardly anyone outside of Lexus enthusiasts even heard of the car, only a handful of people are ever going to see one out on the road, the lack of performance for the high cost did not help either. I have talked to several car enthusiasts that know of most supercars that never heard of the LFA. The LFA was really the car they should have priced much lower, like around 180K, and made many more of so more people would see them on the road/dealerships and it would get more exposure, that likely could have helped with sales of the GS F or RC F. Toyota could have absorbed the cost better then any Japanese manufacturer.

If have seen GTR's on the road, seen 2 new NSX's on the road and 1 at a dealership so they have gotten some exposure. I have never seen a LFA on the road or heard of anyone I know seeing one, local Lexus dealership never saw one nor got one in, said the cost of tooling to work on them was way too much and not worth it plus they knew they would have no local buyers.
Ah but many more people or shows or magazines still talks about the LFA. But yea it should have been priced lower and make more of it then followed by a Mark2
Old 10-01-18, 07:27 AM
situman
Pole Position

Them losing $30k-$50k on vehicle is not going to happen for Nissan or Honda or any other manufacturer.

It is a children's dream that manufacturer should sell you car at half the cost because something. In reality, if you are looking at it purely from cost perspective, you will never buy another car from the brand unless it is also priced at half the cost. It is not how you get long term customers. This is what Kia and Hyundai have gotten wrong all these years and now they are suffering for it.
If someone is looking for Pathfinder, they are not going to go and get a GTR or get a NSX while shopping for a Pilot because it is priced lower than cost. The idea is to bring people into the showroom.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra