Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Used Tire Buying Guide

Old 02-13-17, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
No, I can be that quick. 100% unequivocally I would never, ever buy used tires for a car that I or my family would ride in. I think its a silly way to save money.

If somebody can't afford a new set of safe tires for their car, they should not be driving a car on public roads. Lets be real here, this is a Lexus forum. If somebody can buy and maintain a Lexus, even an old one, they can buy a set of new tires. Does this person have a cell phone? Do they have cable? Do they ever eat in a restaurant or buy an alcoholic beverage? Ever take a vacation? They can buy a set of tires...its all about priorities. For me, my and my family's safety is priority #1. I would feel pretty terrible if there was a blowout and somebody I love was injured or killed, the couple hundred bucks I saved on tires would seem pretty meaningless at that point.

I just can never know what a used set of tires has been through, or what kind of life or safety I will have.
I have to agree with Steve on this one. While not EVERY set of used tires will be risky, there is enough potential risk, IMO, to generally avoid them and stay with new ones, unless you get a (rare) defective new tire. But truly defective new tires, today, are quite few and far between.....the chances of getting one are very close to zero.

Car and tire ads are often full of dishonesty, but one of the more honest ones was done by Michelin. They raise an excellent point........