What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute? >

What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute?

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute?

Old 08-08-16, 06:18 PM
  #1  
nuck
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute?

I sold my fun summer car (SLK55AMG) because I wasn't using it and now I am considering upgrading my daily driver from an 07 GS. I do a 50 mile highway round trip so I want something reliable and with the winter capability of my AWD GS. I test drove an LS460 AWD because I used the love the 430 but the 460 felt like a tank. The Infiniti M56X checked all the right boxes but they sold so few of them I have no used options. I like the German stuff but how would you expect one to hold up for over 100 thousand miles? It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't want more power because I would just look at a newer GS or M37 but I am used to high powered toys so I am hoping the right DD will help wean me off the big power. Thanks for any responses.
nuck is offline  
Old 08-08-16, 07:30 PM
  #2  
dseag2
Lexus Champion
 
dseag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: TX
Posts: 4,654
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

A German car would hold up for 100k miles because in most cases the engines are solid, but it could get quite expensive to maintain one due to electronics, etc. I wouldn't go that route. I lease my German cars.

I would say Lexus or Infiniti all the way. And a naturally aspirated engine would be the way to go for 100k miles of driving. BTW, as much as some may complain about the power in the 4GS I found my '13 GS F Sport quite fun to drive with plenty of power for any type of day-to-day driving. The M37 is no slouch either.
dseag2 is offline  
Old 08-08-16, 09:11 PM
  #3  
RNM GS3
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 3,203
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I Highly recommend F10 535i - in terms of build quality, reliability, and perfect balance of luxury and sport.

N55 engine is super reliable especially compared to previous N54 or the N63 in the 550i.
The chassis is solid and way overbuilt as it used in the 7 series and Rolls-Royce Ghost.

Get it with AWD and Msport pack - and you are set!
RNM GS3 is offline  
Old 08-08-16, 10:17 PM
  #4  
Fizzboy7
Lexus Fanatic
 
Fizzboy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 7,960
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

With a few small exceptions, most every make's engine are now reliable. It's the electronics one has to worry about over the longterm. If you want reliability over the years, you want to stick to the Japanese makes. Anything Honda, Acura, Toyota or Lexus would be a solid bet. I'd throw Infiniti in there too, but I am not 100% confident with that. Parent company Nissan is still struggling with reliability, and that's something one must pay attention to.
Fizzboy7 is offline  
Old 08-09-16, 07:38 AM
  #5  
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic
 
bagwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back in Denver
Posts: 10,084
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7 View Post
With a few small exceptions, most every make's engine are now reliable. It's the electronics one has to worry about over the longterm. If you want reliability over the years, you want to stick to the Japanese makes. Anything Honda, Acura, Toyota or Lexus would be a solid bet. I'd throw Infiniti in there too, but I am not 100% confident with that. Parent company Nissan is still struggling with reliability, and that's something one must pay attention to.
+1

but a CPO'd German car is do-able too - it would give you more seat time in loaners
bagwell is offline  
Old 08-09-16, 07:52 AM
  #6  
coolsaber
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: In your head
Posts: 1,725
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Really? Just pick up any ole Lexus GX/LX or RX (if the GX/LX is too big)

If your buying used and plan on needing a bulletproof vehicle, then Lexus is the one. Just make sure you inspect this like it was made by Lucas. Inside outside, and underside; covering everything mechanically and of course some who knows their stuff but is not related to the seller in any way.

The other makes maybe be cheaper to acquire, have CPO, more powerful, better handling, but not reliable.

CPOs are a great marketing product that makes potential owners feel "giddy" and "warm". When it comes time to actually use it, tons of high dollar parts like infotainment are excluded. Plus the CPO vehicles are no different from any used car lot. As long as car is shiny on the outside, CPOed. For instance, a BMW E60 runs all vehicle functions and more through iDrive. CPO does not cover iDrive. Each unit is a considerable amount of $$$

coolsaber is offline  
Old 08-09-16, 08:04 AM
  #7  
chikoo
Lexus Champion
 
chikoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 3,759
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

buying a used vehicle, buy it barebones. No fancy gizmos because when they break, cost muchos money to fix.
chikoo is offline  
Old 08-09-16, 07:22 PM
  #8  
Aron9000
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 4,471
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Just get the Lexus you like the most would be my opinion. Personally I don't like some AWD model Lexus products(IS and maybe the GS has this problem) because the floor pan and transmission tunnel intrude into the space where I rest my heel on my right foot. So I have to rest my heel more to the left and **** my toes more to the right to reach the gas. Also I swear the tranny tunnel is wider on the AWD cars as well and the console brushes up against my leg. I know its a minor nitpick and something I MIGHT get used to if I owned the car, but the RWD cars have different shaped floor pan where my foot can rest where it supposed to be.

Also I don't know what your budget is, but the new Acura TL can be had in AWD, and its a pretty cool AWD system that transfers torque between the rear wheels in corners to help the handling, I've read its a pretty trick system.
Aron9000 is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 10:20 AM
  #9  
nuck
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
Just get the Lexus you like the most would be my opinion. Personally I don't like some AWD model Lexus products(IS and maybe the GS has this problem) because the floor pan and transmission tunnel intrude into the space where I rest my heel on my right foot. So I have to rest my heel more to the left and **** my toes more to the right to reach the gas. Also I swear the tranny tunnel is wider on the AWD cars as well and the console brushes up against my leg. I know its a minor nitpick and something I MIGHT get used to if I owned the car, but the RWD cars have different shaped floor pan where my foot can rest where it supposed to be.

Also I don't know what your budget is, but the new Acura TL can be had in AWD, and its a pretty cool AWD system that transfers torque between the rear wheels in corners to help the handling, I've read its a pretty trick system.
What I am after is a bit more stout performance plus the AWD. If they made a more robust GS I would probably do that and to me the Q and TL really don't have anything on the F sport GS. The M56 is 420hp and has a good reliability rep. My wife had the M35 hybrid and we really enjoyed that car but rwd and no trunk.The Audi S4 is only rated at 333hp but it is head and shoulders quicker than the Acura/Lexus/Infiniti 6 cylinder cars. You have to step up to the Technik package with the sport diff to get the good toys in an S4 so pricey, and you need to go newer IMO because shorter warranties and a bit less reliability with the gadgets. 535 xi is nice features wise but in stock form it really doesn't have more spunk than my GS. This weekend I am looking at a 2012 550xi which is I guess the German equivalent of the M56. I am in northern Alberta so the AWD is pretty important to me and that hurts my options. German engineering vs Japanese reliability either way. I can live with a few extra costs, and quite honestly the GS has 90k miles and has needed, radiator, alternator, and two sets of brakes so it hasn't been cost free off of warranty either. thanks for the response
nuck is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 01:42 PM
  #10  
coolsaber
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: In your head
Posts: 1,725
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nuck View Post
What I am after is a bit more stout performance plus the AWD. If they made a more robust GS I would probably do that and to me the Q and TL really don't have anything on the F sport GS. The M56 is 420hp and has a good reliability rep. My wife had the M35 hybrid and we really enjoyed that car but rwd and no trunk.The Audi S4 is only rated at 333hp but it is head and shoulders quicker than the Acura/Lexus/Infiniti 6 cylinder cars. You have to step up to the Technik package with the sport diff to get the good toys in an S4 so pricey, and you need to go newer IMO because shorter warranties and a bit less reliability with the gadgets. 535 xi is nice features wise but in stock form it really doesn't have more spunk than my GS. This weekend I am looking at a 2012 550xi which is I guess the German equivalent of the M56. I am in northern Alberta so the AWD is pretty important to me and that hurts my options. German engineering vs Japanese reliability either way. I can live with a few extra costs, and quite honestly the GS has 90k miles and has needed, radiator, alternator, and two sets of brakes so it hasn't been cost free off of warranty either. thanks for the response
Sadly to say i would stay away from the n63 motor in that. Too many issues. If your still set on that, then get a double warranty and hope to look for a newer 14 with the n63tu (its a revision of the original motor that in the launch f10).

What your looking for is basically something no japanese automaker makes I guess. Alot of german options, but in relative to a lexus your not going to like the upkeep thats normal for a german automaker.
coolsaber is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 04:36 PM
  #11  
Aron9000
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TN
Posts: 4,471
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

What you need is the 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD. Yes that is the actual model name lol. 400hp, twin turbo V6 AWD, I think its about $50k. I've read its pretty darn quick, maybe under-rated in the horsepower department. Not a big fan of the interior, but the outside looks nice IMO. Also don't get the "tech package" that includes electric drive by wire steering. They say the base conventional steering rack drives nicer.




Aron9000 is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 05:41 PM
  #12  
davyjordi
Lexus Champion
 
davyjordi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 2,010
Thanked 50 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
What you need is the 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD. Yes that is the actual model name lol. 400hp, twin turbo V6 AWD, I think its about $50k. I've read its pretty darn quick, maybe under-rated in the horsepower department. Not a big fan of the interior, but the outside looks nice IMO. Also don't get the "tech package" that includes electric drive by wire steering. They say the base conventional steering rack drives nicer.

maybe it's just me, but i see wayyyyy too much nissan in infiniti's offerings. that's not a good thing.
davyjordi is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 06:06 PM
  #13  
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic
 
bagwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back in Denver
Posts: 10,084
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by davyjordi View Post
maybe it's just me, but i see wayyyyy too much nissan in infiniti's offerings. that's not a good thing.
wtf Nissan looks like the Q50?

Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
What you need is the 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD. Yes that is the actual model name lol. 400hp, twin turbo V6 AWD, I think its about $50k.

hold out for.....hehhe


bagwell is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 06:13 PM
  #14  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 24,323
Thanked 476 Times in 398 Posts
Default

I don't see how you couldn't think that Q50 is a beautiful car...
SW17LS is online now  
Old 08-10-16, 07:03 PM
  #15  
MattyG
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: RightHere
Posts: 1,780
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nuck
I sold my fun summer car (SLK55AMG) because I wasn't using it and now I am considering upgrading my daily driver from an 07 GS. I do a 50 mile highway round trip so I want something reliable and with the winter capability of my AWD GS. I test drove an LS460 AWD because I used the love the 430 but the 460 felt like a tank. The Infiniti M56X checked all the right boxes but they sold so few of them I have no used options. I like the German stuff but how would you expect one to hold up for over 100 thousand miles? It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't want more power because I would just look at a newer GS or M37 but I am used to high powered toys so I am hoping the right DD will help wean me off the big power. Thanks for any responses.
Would you be talking about a 3 season driver up there on mainly plowed highways? I'm assuming you're not driving up in F.M. I'd just get a F150 King Ranch for luxury and power. I'd never subject a luxury car to anything up that way in the winter. I'd love the 550xi but it's way too much trouble as a commuter.
MattyG is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: