ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/830896-what-used-luxury-brand-model-for-a-heavy-commute.html)

nuck 08-08-16 06:18 PM

What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute?

I sold my fun summer car (SLK55AMG) because I wasn't using it and now I am considering upgrading my daily driver from an 07 GS. I do a 50 mile highway round trip so I want something reliable and with the winter capability of my AWD GS. I test drove an LS460 AWD because I used the love the 430 but the 460 felt like a tank. The Infiniti M56X checked all the right boxes but they sold so few of them I have no used options. I like the German stuff but how would you expect one to hold up for over 100 thousand miles? It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't want more power because I would just look at a newer GS or M37 but I am used to high powered toys so I am hoping the right DD will help wean me off the big power. Thanks for any responses.

dseag2 08-08-16 07:30 PM

A German car would hold up for 100k miles because in most cases the engines are solid, but it could get quite expensive to maintain one due to electronics, etc. I wouldn't go that route. I lease my German cars.

I would say Lexus or Infiniti all the way. And a naturally aspirated engine would be the way to go for 100k miles of driving. BTW, as much as some may complain about the power in the 4GS I found my '13 GS F Sport quite fun to drive with plenty of power for any type of day-to-day driving. The M37 is no slouch either.

RNM GS3 08-08-16 09:11 PM

I Highly recommend F10 535i - in terms of build quality, reliability, and perfect balance of luxury and sport.

N55 engine is super reliable especially compared to previous N54 or the N63 in the 550i.
The chassis is solid and way overbuilt as it used in the 7 series and Rolls-Royce Ghost.

Get it with AWD and Msport pack - and you are set!

Fizzboy7 08-08-16 10:17 PM

With a few small exceptions, most every make's engine are now reliable. It's the electronics one has to worry about over the longterm. If you want reliability over the years, you want to stick to the Japanese makes. Anything Honda, Acura, Toyota or Lexus would be a solid bet. I'd throw Infiniti in there too, but I am not 100% confident with that. Parent company Nissan is still struggling with reliability, and that's something one must pay attention to.

bagwell 08-09-16 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7 (Post 9580031)
With a few small exceptions, most every make's engine are now reliable. It's the electronics one has to worry about over the longterm. If you want reliability over the years, you want to stick to the Japanese makes. Anything Honda, Acura, Toyota or Lexus would be a solid bet. I'd throw Infiniti in there too, but I am not 100% confident with that. Parent company Nissan is still struggling with reliability, and that's something one must pay attention to.

+1

but a CPO'd German car is do-able too - it would give you more seat time in loaners ;)

coolsaber 08-09-16 07:52 AM

Really? Just pick up any ole Lexus GX/LX or RX (if the GX/LX is too big)

If your buying used and plan on needing a bulletproof vehicle, then Lexus is the one. Just make sure you inspect this like it was made by Lucas. Inside outside, and underside; covering everything mechanically and of course some who knows their stuff but is not related to the seller in any way.

The other makes maybe be cheaper to acquire, have CPO, more powerful, better handling, but not reliable.

CPOs are a great marketing product that makes potential owners feel "giddy" and "warm". When it comes time to actually use it, tons of high dollar parts like infotainment are excluded. Plus the CPO vehicles are no different from any used car lot. As long as car is shiny on the outside, CPOed. For instance, a BMW E60 runs all vehicle functions and more through iDrive. CPO does not cover iDrive. Each unit is a considerable amount of $$$

chikoo 08-09-16 08:04 AM

buying a used vehicle, buy it barebones. No fancy gizmos because when they break, cost muchos money to fix.

Aron9000 08-09-16 07:22 PM

Just get the Lexus you like the most would be my opinion. Personally I don't like some AWD model Lexus products(IS and maybe the GS has this problem) because the floor pan and transmission tunnel intrude into the space where I rest my heel on my right foot. So I have to rest my heel more to the left and cock my toes more to the right to reach the gas. Also I swear the tranny tunnel is wider on the AWD cars as well and the console brushes up against my leg. I know its a minor nitpick and something I MIGHT get used to if I owned the car, but the RWD cars have different shaped floor pan where my foot can rest where it supposed to be.

Also I don't know what your budget is, but the new Acura TL can be had in AWD, and its a pretty cool AWD system that transfers torque between the rear wheels in corners to help the handling, I've read its a pretty trick system.

nuck 08-10-16 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Aron9000 (Post 9581061)
Just get the Lexus you like the most would be my opinion. Personally I don't like some AWD model Lexus products(IS and maybe the GS has this problem) because the floor pan and transmission tunnel intrude into the space where I rest my heel on my right foot. So I have to rest my heel more to the left and cock my toes more to the right to reach the gas. Also I swear the tranny tunnel is wider on the AWD cars as well and the console brushes up against my leg. I know its a minor nitpick and something I MIGHT get used to if I owned the car, but the RWD cars have different shaped floor pan where my foot can rest where it supposed to be.

Also I don't know what your budget is, but the new Acura TL can be had in AWD, and its a pretty cool AWD system that transfers torque between the rear wheels in corners to help the handling, I've read its a pretty trick system.

What I am after is a bit more stout performance plus the AWD. If they made a more robust GS I would probably do that and to me the Q and TL really don't have anything on the F sport GS. The M56 is 420hp and has a good reliability rep. My wife had the M35 hybrid and we really enjoyed that car but rwd and no trunk.The Audi S4 is only rated at 333hp but it is head and shoulders quicker than the Acura/Lexus/Infiniti 6 cylinder cars. You have to step up to the Technik package with the sport diff to get the good toys in an S4 so pricey, and you need to go newer IMO because shorter warranties and a bit less reliability with the gadgets. 535 xi is nice features wise but in stock form it really doesn't have more spunk than my GS. This weekend I am looking at a 2012 550xi which is I guess the German equivalent of the M56. I am in northern Alberta so the AWD is pretty important to me and that hurts my options. German engineering vs Japanese reliability either way. I can live with a few extra costs, and quite honestly the GS has 90k miles and has needed, radiator, alternator, and two sets of brakes so it hasn't been cost free off of warranty either. thanks for the response:)

coolsaber 08-10-16 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by nuck (Post 9581585)
What I am after is a bit more stout performance plus the AWD. If they made a more robust GS I would probably do that and to me the Q and TL really don't have anything on the F sport GS. The M56 is 420hp and has a good reliability rep. My wife had the M35 hybrid and we really enjoyed that car but rwd and no trunk.The Audi S4 is only rated at 333hp but it is head and shoulders quicker than the Acura/Lexus/Infiniti 6 cylinder cars. You have to step up to the Technik package with the sport diff to get the good toys in an S4 so pricey, and you need to go newer IMO because shorter warranties and a bit less reliability with the gadgets. 535 xi is nice features wise but in stock form it really doesn't have more spunk than my GS. This weekend I am looking at a 2012 550xi which is I guess the German equivalent of the M56. I am in northern Alberta so the AWD is pretty important to me and that hurts my options. German engineering vs Japanese reliability either way. I can live with a few extra costs, and quite honestly the GS has 90k miles and has needed, radiator, alternator, and two sets of brakes so it hasn't been cost free off of warranty either. thanks for the response:)

Sadly to say i would stay away from the n63 motor in that. Too many issues. If your still set on that, then get a double warranty and hope to look for a newer 14 with the n63tu (its a revision of the original motor that in the launch f10).

What your looking for is basically something no japanese automaker makes I guess. Alot of german options, but in relative to a lexus your not going to like the upkeep thats normal for a german automaker.

Aron9000 08-10-16 04:36 PM

What you need is the 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD. Yes that is the actual model name lol. 400hp, twin turbo V6 AWD, I think its about $50k. I've read its pretty darn quick, maybe under-rated in the horsepower department. Not a big fan of the interior, but the outside looks nice IMO. Also don't get the "tech package" that includes electric drive by wire steering. They say the base conventional steering rack drives nicer.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...e931a65f2c.jpg

davyjordi 08-10-16 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aron9000 (Post 9582030)
What you need is the 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD. Yes that is the actual model name lol. 400hp, twin turbo V6 AWD, I think its about $50k. I've read its pretty darn quick, maybe under-rated in the horsepower department. Not a big fan of the interior, but the outside looks nice IMO. Also don't get the "tech package" that includes electric drive by wire steering. They say the base conventional steering rack drives nicer.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...e931a65f2c.jpg

maybe it's just me, but i see wayyyyy too much nissan in infiniti's offerings. that's not a good thing.

bagwell 08-10-16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by davyjordi (Post 9582086)
maybe it's just me, but i see wayyyyy too much nissan in infiniti's offerings. that's not a good thing.

wtf Nissan looks like the Q50?

Originally Posted by Aron9000 (Post 9582030)
What you need is the 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD. Yes that is the actual model name lol. 400hp, twin turbo V6 AWD, I think its about $50k.

hold out for.....hehhe

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...7f9188fd7a.jpg

SW17LS 08-10-16 06:13 PM

I don't see how you couldn't think that Q50 is a beautiful car...

MattyG 08-10-16 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by nuck
I sold my fun summer car (SLK55AMG) because I wasn't using it and now I am considering upgrading my daily driver from an 07 GS. I do a 50 mile highway round trip so I want something reliable and with the winter capability of my AWD GS. I test drove an LS460 AWD because I used the love the 430 but the 460 felt like a tank. The Infiniti M56X checked all the right boxes but they sold so few of them I have no used options. I like the German stuff but how would you expect one to hold up for over 100 thousand miles? It wouldn't be a problem if I didn't want more power because I would just look at a newer GS or M37 but I am used to high powered toys so I am hoping the right DD will help wean me off the big power. Thanks for any responses.

Would you be talking about a 3 season driver up there on mainly plowed highways? I'm assuming you're not driving up in F.M. I'd just get a F150 King Ranch for luxury and power. I'd never subject a luxury car to anything up that way in the winter. I'd love the 550xi but it's way too much trouble as a commuter.