Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 11:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

nice car. best of luck with it.
Old 08-17-16, 12:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nuck
Okay so I bought a 2012 550 M sport x drive with 33k and 2 more years of bumper to bumper warranty. I have had BMW, Audi, and MB before so I am well acquainted with the differences between engineering and reliability. I am figuring the car will be at least double what my GS cost to run per year once off warranty but I can live with that for the farfegnugen. I will report back when there are some miles on the car. I also shopped Audi S4 but it seemed like people were asking a lot for relatively high mileage cars. Did not look at King Ranch because my garage is not deep enough Could not wait for the 400hp Infiniti Q because I won't buy brand new and don't want to wait another year.

First taste of being a BMW owner today. My Lexus touch up paint cost me $20 and they replaced my FOB battery on a 2007 for free. BMW just charged me $60 for touch up paint and battery. Reminds me of my old XJR
This is an amazing car, but make sure that you get the recall done on the injector replacement.
Old 08-17-16, 03:19 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nuck
Okay so I bought a 2012 550 M sport x drive with 33k and 2 more years of bumper to bumper warranty. I have had BMW, Audi, and MB before so I am well acquainted with the differences between engineering and reliability. I am figuring the car will be at least double what my GS cost to run per year once off warranty but I can live with that for the farfegnugen. I will report back when there are some miles on the car. I also shopped Audi S4 but it seemed like people were asking a lot for relatively high mileage cars. Did not look at King Ranch because my garage is not deep enough Could not wait for the 400hp Infiniti Q because I won't buy brand new and don't want to wait another year.

First taste of being a BMW owner today. My Lexus touch up paint cost me $20 and they replaced my FOB battery on a 2007 for free. BMW just charged me $60 for touch up paint and battery. Reminds me of my old XJR
Really good looking car in that white color, nuck. The only one left to feed your power craving after this one would be the might M5 Two more years of warranty should be good enough for you to see if you run into any problems. I recall reading on a Road & Track blog that BMW actually had a quiet campaign going on behind the scenes to replace the problematic parts of the N63 with more robust upgraded parts, whenever problems cropped up. So maybe you'll be okay.

Post some interior pics for us droolers when you get the chance.
Old 08-20-16, 10:37 AM
nuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics

Last edited by nuck; 08-20-16 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-20-16, 12:48 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

very noice!
Old 08-21-16, 04:04 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm digging that brown leather and wood. I wonder if that 1st owner custom ordered it that way, most BMW's have the standard black or kind of light tan leather, with different, darker wood. Also most people don't spring for the sport package and V8 on the 5 series either, they're mostly the inline six. Anyways, good luck with it, sorry I called it a POS earlier, just read some real horror stories and have a buddy with an X5 with that same motor that's been a shop queen.
Old 08-21-16, 07:04 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

it looks too much like a maxima.

hahaaaa jk! congrats on the new ride!
Old 08-21-16, 01:41 PM
nuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'm digging that brown leather and wood. I wonder if that 1st owner custom ordered it that way, most BMW's have the standard black or kind of light tan leather, with different, darker wood. Also most people don't spring for the sport package and V8 on the 5 series either, they're mostly the inline six. Anyways, good luck with it, sorry I called it a POS earlier, just read some real horror stories and have a buddy with an X5 with that same motor that's been a shop queen.
N/p I have heard the same horror stories and it may yet turn out to be that POS. Even without the reported N63 engine issues I don't think German cars are any more reliable than American made and the more gadgets the more stuff to go wrong. I don't believe it is a special order car, just an atypical set of options. Its funny I didn't actually go looking white, more like anything but black but it has really grown on me. The M Sport seats are great and they have the best ventilation setup I have ever tried. Also comes with a brand new set of horrible Eagle LS2 runflat tires the original owner bought through BMW. They are the worst rated compatible tire on Tirerack's survey. Thank God they have low tread life as well and I will have to buy safe ones soon.
Old 08-21-16, 05:29 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll have to give us the rundown on how the car drives at some point and it's uh... performance attributes, nuck. I agree about the Eagle run-flats, these and other factory run-flats have certainly ticked off quite a few Bimmer owners. Pirellis and Michelins are good choices.
Old 08-21-16, 05:59 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

She's a looker. Congrats!
Old 08-21-16, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations. I'd rather have an older BMW myself...their chassis/steering systems are generally better than the new ones.
Old 08-21-16, 11:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
You'll have to give us the rundown on how the car drives at some point and it's uh... performance attributes, nuck. I agree about the Eagle run-flats, these and other factory run-flats have certainly ticked off quite a few Bimmer owners. Pirellis and Michelins are good choices.
I've had good luck with Pirelli P-Zero Neros on my Lexus, 18" low profiles. Rides smooth, even near the end of their life(30k miles), not nearly as expensive as Michelins or Bridgestone Potenzas. Just make sure you don't buy a different brand of run-flats, from what I've heard they all suck(sidewall has to be stiffer so it can run without air, thus it screws up the ride quality)
Old 08-22-16, 06:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I've had good luck with Pirelli P-Zero Neros on my Lexus, 18" low profiles. Rides smooth, even near the end of their life(30k miles), not nearly as expensive as Michelins or Bridgestone Potenzas. Just make sure you don't buy a different brand of run-flats, from what I've heard they all suck(sidewall has to be stiffer so it can run without air, thus it screws up the ride quality)
Run-flats also have other issues than just ride quality. They are expensive, they are often good for only about 50 miles or so without air (below 50 MPH), and if you are in a rural area and/or farther away than that from a repair shop, without any other kind of spare tire, you may end up having to get a tow anyway.
Old 08-22-16, 02:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations. I'd rather have an older BMW myself...their chassis/steering systems are generally better than the new ones.
I believe the OP mentioned his car has the M performance package. If so, it has a 5 step adjustable steering going from comfort plus to sport plus - and it really transforms the steering feel. You should try these new BMWs equipped with this option, I think you'll impressed.
Old 08-22-16, 03:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I believe the OP mentioned his car has the M performance package. If so, it has a 5 step adjustable steering going from comfort plus to sport plus - and it really transforms the steering feel. You should try these new BMWs equipped with this option, I think you'll impressed.
Yes, that's a point. I forgot that some BMW's are built with the M chassis, but not the M drivertain.

Quick Reply: What used luxury brand/model for a heavy commute?