Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus GS Facelift

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 08:55 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Love the interior, no changes in regards to my hate for the exterior.
Old 08-13-15, 09:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Ugh have to wait for the F-Sport 200t/350 and 450h photos.

Speaking of h, I'm happy to hear it's returning for 2016. The current '15 is special order only, though the last allocation I did showed about 17 physically at dealers, about half of which were reserved. I had a '13 for a week a year ago and simply raved about it during my time with it. This facelift is exactly what I've been waiting for. Hurry up and ship those brochures damm*t!
Old 08-13-15, 09:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i like the nav screen and the gauge cluster
Old 08-13-15, 09:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Overall I like all the improvements inside. Nice polishing of the air vents and clock, as well as added stitching to the RTC pad, and the new metal trimmed shift handle. Also of note, it gets the high resolution HVAC temp readouts from the LS instead of the old "digital" numeral readouts.

I love the new frameless gentex rearview mirrors.
Old 08-13-15, 09:42 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Love the interior, no changes in regards to my hate for the exterior.
agreed 100%.
Old 08-13-15, 10:48 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
They absolutely ruined the front styling of this car, what a wasted opportunity.
I totally agree. I'm very unhappy with the new front ends. Don't know what i'll buy next...
Old 08-13-15, 11:06 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One can only hope it'll look better in person...
Old 08-13-15, 11:46 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Not sold on the photo but I think it'll look better from a human's size perspective, these cars always do.

I'm glad Lexus is taking base models into a more bolder design. They have come a long way since that LF-GH concept, which was amazing!
Old 08-14-15, 01:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't understand what Lexus is thinking. This new GS looks like an Infiniti M56 of Q70 if that is what they are now calling them.

Sad to see Lexus make such horrible front ends.
Old 08-14-15, 01:01 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Front end is now a disaster. I held the previous version in high regard. It now looks sectioned on and like it needs caster wheels to support the long, center beak/overhang. There's nothing elegant or sporty about it. New LX front end is much more cohesive.
Single beam headlights look cheap. That is usually a feature of older compact cars or Subaru Legacy's. Not a fan.
Taillights... agreed, the added black is lame. They are now too large overall, too busy, and look like they are crying mascara.
Love the interior improvements. Lexus's new corporate steering wheel is the best in the biz. Looks like a modern day spaceship from Galaga taking off. Far cleaner than the sectioned-together job of today. I do wish however they could find a way to always show the turbo gauge at all times. Shouldn't have to be a task to pull up everytime you want to drive aggressive and then not be able to see other common infotainment data.
They mentioned new wheels. Above car has the same spoke rims as the current car. I guess there's a new optional 18" rim not shown yet.
The new turbo gets nearly the same highway mileage as the hybrid. So now the hybrid is only good for acceleration? I don't think that recipe has worked in the past for Lexus. Hopefully the hybrid's city mileage is enough to separate it.
We all knew USB2 was coming. That was good news early on. Now if they would just give it to the IS in the U.S., we can breath again.
Overall, I'm too put off by the catfish snout to like this car. *sad*

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 08-14-15 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-14-15, 01:31 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That headlight cluster begs for L-shaped premium LEDs. It truly makes no sense with projector and since premium headlights are not even an option I dont know it just looks weird and lazy, Does Lexus have problem manufacturing those since they are not available on RC either?

And whats a facelift without wheel redesign.
Old 08-14-15, 01:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I think this is the best that the GS has ever looked, barring the 2nd Generation GS

Thumbs up to Lexus for finally having the production model look like the concept car.
indeed... I often now see 2013 model near my house (otherwise Lexus is hard to find here) and through the years, front end has become really boring... this now brings it back up to current Lexus design and it looks really good except for the bland profile but that couldnt have been helped with minor refresh.

I am soo happy they added new infotainment system to it too. We knew that RX got it but they tricked us by showing old nav in GS-F. New system has much higher screen resolution and much higher quality of graphics overall.
Old 08-14-15, 01:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
That headlight cluster begs for L-shaped premium LEDs. It truly makes no sense with projector and since premium headlights are not even an option I dont know it just looks weird and lazy, Does Lexus have problem manufacturing those since they are not available on RC either?

And whats a facelift without wheel redesign.
this is 2.0t model in question though... all the pics are from 2.0t, so we dont know how F-Sport looks and how premium lights look.

As base option though, these look great.
Old 08-14-15, 01:47 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

When you think things couldn't get any worse.. Though i wasn't much a fan of the previous Spindle grill, this MORE Aggressive move towards differentiating the GS as "Special" has just tipped the scales. I'm going to literally need Anti-Nausea medication every time I go in for service.. I mean like REALLY? This is the Best they got??

And going with a GS200t is like getting yourself neutered.. OMG.. So There will be a GS-F, a GS350 with 311 HP Whoopee.. and a GS200t... It was like when Infiniti put in a G25.. Great for leasing but ridiculous for the Marque Branding of such a hot car in its class..

I think the 200t is okay for car like the CT and IS, but a GS with "200" badge is shameful..
Old 08-14-15, 04:48 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is 2.0t model in question though... all the pics are from 2.0t, so we dont know how F-Sport looks and how premium lights look.

As base option though, these look great.
You sure this is not a Luxury trim? By type of wheels it seems like it unless base option got Luxury rims standard.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus GS Facelift