Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 07:30 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Lexus LS that costs >$100k in Japan is not going to push hydrogen gas stations... it would be "halo" hydrogen vehicle. Thats what Mirai is for, as well as upcoming Honda model.

Natural gas makes no sense at all, Japanese dont have oil/gas sources, they need renewable energy storage for next millennium.

...and as a true Flagship vehicle of a luxury brand, a hydrogen-powered fuel cell vehicle (that no other luxury brand offers right now, not Mercedes-Benz, not BMW, not Audi) would be the only way to hold that flag high.

In comparison, a natural gas-powered car is so plebeian. Honda offers a natural gas Civic. You think Lexus wants its potential customers to be reminded of a Honda Civic every time someone sees a natural gas LS?
Old 06-04-15, 06:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
...and as a true Flagship vehicle of a luxury brand, a hydrogen-powered fuel cell vehicle (that no other luxury brand offers right now, not Mercedes-Benz, not BMW, not Audi) would be the only way to hold that flag high.

In comparison, a natural gas-powered car is so plebeian. Honda offers a natural gas Civic. You think Lexus wants its potential customers to be reminded of a Honda Civic every time someone sees a natural gas LS?
a hydrogen LS would sell in numbers you can count on your fingers.
Old 06-04-15, 09:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a hydrogen LS would sell in numbers you can count on your fingers.
thats not the point - point is that it will be cool high tech vehicle... thats what we all say Lexus needs - more special models that might not sell that much but raise brand awareness.
Old 06-04-15, 11:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats not the point - point is that it will be cool high tech vehicle... thats what we all say Lexus needs - more special models that might not sell that much but raise brand awareness.
well "we all" doesn't include me. i'd rather they have cool vehicles that sell in decent numbers.

the LS600hL is a great example. an amazing boatload of technology, that doesn't sell because the real world result isn't as compelling as the specs.

the LFA is another example. stunning car, but the stratospheric cost and 500 units for the planet means most people have never even seen one let alone have any interest.

lexus would be far better served with a new IS-F, get the GS-F actually shipping, and if they want a hydrogen vehicle, fine, add one (hopefully less hideous than the mirai) but don't make an LS one just because they can, that will do NOTHING for the brand. i could imagine dealers who would NEVER stock one, ever.
Old 06-04-15, 02:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well "we all" doesn't include me. i'd rather they have cool vehicles that sell in decent numbers.

the LS600hL is a great example. an amazing boatload of technology, that doesn't sell because the real world result isn't as compelling as the specs.

the LFA is another example. stunning car, but the stratospheric cost and 500 units for the planet means most people have never even seen one let alone have any interest.

lexus would be far better served with a new IS-F, get the GS-F actually shipping, and if they want a hydrogen vehicle, fine, add one (hopefully less hideous than the mirai) but don't make an LS one just because they can, that will do NOTHING for the brand. i could imagine dealers who would NEVER stock one, ever.

LFA did a lot for a brand... As to GS-F, few months is not too long of a wait. LS600h sold a lot first few years and also did a lot for a brand at that time.

So will this LS FC.
Old 06-10-15, 01:23 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Guys it's a mule, a mule means none of the bodywork you see has anything to do with the final design. It's a collection of existing bits and pieces grafted together to cover up the underpinnings.

The only things we can tell are proportion related, i.e. wheelbase, width, etc...
One mentions this many, many times and it becomes exhausting. Bad journalism primarily makes for the term "mule" being mistakenly used to refer production-design representative test vehicles, which I prefer to just call "prototypes".

The final LS design as a camouflaged prototype is not something that will be seen, until at least later in the summer or this fall. Knowing them, fibreglass shells of the design on the new platform can be testing privately without onlookers.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 06-10-15 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 01:26 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by adpock
great insights! thought we'd let the front page in too...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/2...to-talk-about/
The article mistakenly said that the "LS500" has been trademarked, which it has NOT been. I am the only person so far to directly hint to an incoming LS500 trademark. Only LC500 for the LC coupe and LS500h have been trademarked so far. LS300 is a possibility, if not LS300t or LS400 for the 3.0L twin-turbo 6-cylinder.
Old 06-27-15, 09:56 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given the recent leak of the refreshed LX, I want to revisit this topic. If you remember the Japanese mag had this render of the refreshed LX:

As can be seen clearly from the above, it was an illustration, based on an existing photograph. However much of the basic graphic design was based in reality, just not as precisely executed as the real thing:

We had a similar leak with the Lexus RX, note the backgroud images are dead on, and an illustration that seems to be based on them:

So where does that leave the LS?

So far the best LS "rendering leak" we've seen is this:

The larger rendering of the blue car is clearly a guess-based illustration. But what about the image in the top left corner?

Can anyone confirm if this is a photoshop?

Could that be a leak of the actual LS, from internal material that details its fuel cell powertrain? The side profile graphics of the larger rendering of the blue car mimic those of the silver car (down to the wheels), it could be that the artist is basing his rendering on a leaked image of only the side profile. He seems to be guessing the front end graphics from what he can see in the side profile as well.

Here is the front end zoomed in:

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-jhm8vuw.png

And the artist rendering:

Name:  VIUe0xF.png
Views: 3
Size:  82.0 KB

Here is the image compared to the existing LS:

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-ysdmezz.png

The biggest difference is the more steeply raked C-pillar, for a more fast-back roofline. This has been a consistent rumour for the next LS. The new door handles appear similar to those on the Tesla Model S, which may end up being reality as well considering Lexus may want to position the fuel cell version to compete with the Model S. There are also some Mirai influences in the lower rear door graphics, which is also entirely possible.

Length seems to be about the same, wheelbase appears marginally longer on the new car. This is supported by the mule images, note the extensions made to the rockers at the base of the car, (though this is a mule of the LWB version of the car versus the SWB version in the images above):

So I guess the question is, are we looking at an actual image of the side profile of the 2017 Lexus LS:

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-gmgtust.png

Also to touch on the interior, I think there will be heavy inspiration from the LF-LC concept:

Maybe not all the LCDs, but the stitching on the door panels, seats, etc...

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 06-27-15 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 10:10 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Beautiful write up and observation. Great post.
Old 06-27-15, 10:20 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Kudos Mr. Burns. Love the summary and all the pics. I'm liking the "fastback" rear and overall predicted rendering. From past sketches and their accuracy of the RX and LX, this leak is very possible and I'm excited to see the fuel cell.
Old 06-27-15, 04:07 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Really good post Mr. Burns, I hope somebody can get that on the OP of this thread, good content always gets lost in the thread and people rarely see it.
Old 06-27-15, 05:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

interior needs to be opulent and avant-garde at the same time.
Old 06-27-15, 05:21 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

That same Japanese mag had these dimensions listed:

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-hrb11cs.png

The current LS dimensions vs. the new LS as per Lexus Japan, mm (inches):

Current, mm (inches):
Height: 1480 (58.1)
Width: 1875 (73.8)
Wheelbase: 2970 (116.9)
Length: 5090 (200)
Weight: 2110 kg (4651 lbs)

Speculated New, mm (inches):
Height: 1500 (59)
Width: 1900 (74.8)
Wheelbase: 2970 (116.9)
Length: 5100 (200.7)
Weight: 2100 kg (4629 lbs)

Based on these dimensions the new LS would have the same wheelbase, be an inch taller, an inch wider, and just under an inch longer.

They list the weight at 2100 kg, which I assume is for the fuel cell version. This is about the same as the weight of the existing gasoline powered LS460.

There is also power output listed. The Mirai's fuel cell is listed at generating 155 HP, the next LS is listed above at 201 HP.

The electrical traction motor is listed at 154 HP for the Mirai, 295 HP for the next LS.

The range is at 660 Km (410 miles) for the Mirai, 384 Km (238 miles) for the LS. The Tesla Model S can do 426 km (265 miles). Not sure where they got this info or how accurate it is but they do call it a "scoop".

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 06-27-15 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-27-15, 05:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

^ got kg and lb. reversed ?
Old 06-27-15, 05:34 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
^ got kg and lb. reversed ?
lol thanks, fixed.