Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 01:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

several years ago on CL i said v8's were on their way out, and got excoriated for it.
they will still be around, but in increasingly expensive configurations.
if you want one, get 'em while you still can.
Old 10-25-16, 01:49 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
several years ago on CL i said v8's were on their way out, and got excoriated for it.
There are no rewards for being ahead of your time.
Old 10-25-16, 02:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

It obvious that V8s are on the way as the main engine for a model lineup. I think they will be still around in the expensive configurations as you said. I think the RCF and GSF would be more popular with a V6 that was turbocharged. The current V8s by Lexus don't cut it IMO.
Old 10-25-16, 03:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

there will likely still be cheaper v8's for camaros, mustangs, challengers, etc., as they're so popular, plus the engines tend to be variants of ones that have been around 'forever' so don't cost the manufacturers much to make. plus the sales volume is still relatively puny so doesn't affect a manufacturer's overall CAFE rating much. still, with a mustang and the new performance package and 4 banger getting almost the same clout as a mustang (v8) gt, things are definitely changing.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-25-16 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-25-16, 03:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

found that old thread and in it i wrote to an LS owner...

YOU just got a V8 LS sedan. would you have preferred it had a turbo v6? don't think so. what if lexus ends up dropping the v8 because of pressure, cost, regulations, etc. they probably won't because unlike mb/bmw, they can leverage the sales of their other huge mothership brand's CAFE ratings.
i was wrong on the latter part it seems.
Old 10-25-16, 04:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

At least the guy who excoriated you and everyone else and was all about V8's has been thankfully banned.

It is a shame though, I like having V8 options and I love my V8, don't want to see them go away or become rare and very expensive. Hybrids and turbo 4 cylinders are not the answer either for luxury cars or sports cars in most cases.
Old 10-25-16, 05:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

there will likely still be cheaper v8's for camaros, mustangs, challengers, etc., as they're so popular, plus the engines tend to be variants of ones that have been around 'forever' so don't cost the manufacturers much to make. plus the sales volume is still relatively puny so doesn't affect a manufacturer's overall CAFE rating much. still, with a mustang and the new performance package and 4 banger getting almost the same clout as a mustang (v8) gt, things are definitely changing.
Muscle car sales in the US are actually pretty high. The 4 cylinder Mustang has been pretty universally panned, even European press who are more accepting of 4cyl criticized it, it sounds terrible, turbo lag, no quicker then the V6 nor is it any more fuel efficient and likely less reliable. 4cyl turbo Mustang should be the rental while the V6 is the base.
Old 10-25-16, 07:42 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

^
Don't hold your breath, Lexus was the last to offer a 4 cylinder turbo and yet the turbo in the is200t cannot compete with any of its competitors. They did manage to release it with a massive turbo lag though. I am also inclined to believe the old 2.5 liter V6 is superior to this new turbo 4.
Old 10-25-16, 09:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
2021 for a V8? Lol. No one will care by then. Just about everyone will offer high powered alternative energy like Tesla. This is very lame news if true.
​​​​
​​
Spot on. You are correct.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-25-16 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-25-16, 11:19 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
^
Don't hold your breath, Lexus was the last to offer a 4 cylinder turbo and yet the turbo in the is200t cannot compete with any of its competitors. They did manage to release it with a massive turbo lag though. I am also inclined to believe the old 2.5 liter V6 is superior to this new turbo 4.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-au...-idUSKBN12E11K
For years, carmakers kept pace with European Union CO2 goals by shrinking engine capacities, while adding turbo chargers to make up lost power. Three-cylinder motors below one liter have become common in cars up to VW Golf-sized compacts; some Fiat models run on twin-cylinders.

These mini-motors sailed through official lab tests conducted - until now - on rollers at unrealistically moderate temperatures and speeds. Carmakers, regulators and green groups knew that real-world CO2 and nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions were much higher, but the discrepancy remained unresolved.

All that is about to change. Starting next year, new models will be subjected to realistic on-the-road testing for NOx, with all cars required to comply by 2019. Fuel consumption and CO2 will follow two years later under a new global test standard.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ric-motor.html

The old fuel consumption & emissions legislations favored theoretical on-paper mileage figures, and thus favored small capacity turbos.
Now, the latest European legislation has changed to favor real-life fuel economy, but this type of measurement no longer favors small capacity turbos.
Thus, the forthcoming fuel and emissions regulations favor gasoline-electric hybrids, such that this powertrain format is tipped to become mainstream soon.

Technology is constantly evolving, with turbos making a comeback, and now gasoline-electric hybrids making a comeback...
_

Last edited by peteharvey; 10-25-16 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-26-16, 07:07 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Spot on. You are correct.
I'm not so sure. Until the recharging infrastructure suddenly expands all around the country AND recharging batteries doesnt take nearly 2 hrs per stop, it won't happen yet. First, all the automakers will have to agree on which alternative fuel is best, Hydrogen or pure electric. Then agree on standardizing recharging and build up the infrastructure cohesively. You can't drive a hydrogen car out of Cali right now and electric cars gives you sweaty palms when theres a hill and/or headwinds.
Old 10-26-16, 07:54 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Would be cool to see a new LS-F Twin Turbo V8 pushing 611 HP

Old 10-26-16, 08:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i thought that looked familiar

Old 10-31-16, 04:00 PM
Club Lexus Editor
CL Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trick or Treat? Next-Gen LS Rumored to Get 3.0L Turbo and F Treatment

Figured the front page would be interested in some of the latest rumors too...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/t...o-f-treatment/
Old 10-31-16, 04:25 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Holy base price... 95k...

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)