Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C8 (Zora) Corvette may has hybrid variant

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 12:16 PM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Arrow C8 (Zora) Corvette may has hybrid variant

From the news and discussion surfaced today, looks like GM is considering putting a hybrid powertrain into the next-gen C8 Corvette, the information is from the GM management, so it should be legit.

Insider news about GM leaked today indicates the next generation of Corvette (termed C8), may has an option of hybrid powertrain...

For this news about C8 Corvette, Mark Reuss, EVP of GM Global Product Development, confirmed to media today that GM is considering the hybrid variant, but the plan is not finalized yet.
If this plan is green-lighted, what do you think it will be positioned? For example the next ZR1 trim?
Old 06-02-14, 01:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

they are talking C8 already ?? C7 is so damn fresh theres still a wait list to get one. I met a dude with a new one at the track this weekend and he said he waited forever to get the car
Old 06-02-14, 04:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Rumor has it the next Ford GT supercar could be an EcoBoost Hybrid too
Old 06-02-14, 04:45 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Rumor has it the next Ford GT supercar could be an EcoBoost Hybrid too
What made the last gt so great was the fact that it was simple and yet over engineered. I think they could make a fine car car but it won't have a cult like following as this one.
Old 06-02-14, 06:30 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by doge
What made the last gt so great was the fact that it was simple and yet over engineered. I think they could make a fine car car but it won't have a cult like following as this one.
No I agree, but then Ford has only pushed the GT40 once and GT once. I think they are more special in the sense that it's pedigree was built with major wins against Ferrari and stemming from Grand Prix's. The Corvette on the other hand is America's Sports car and rightfully so. Like the Mustang dominating the Muscle Car segment, the Vette boasts the flag better than the Viper even for America's best sports car
Old 06-02-14, 07:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

With Hybrid tech now in F1 and with the upcoming NSX to have it, it's only a matter of time sports car enthusiasts will embrace this energy-efficient boost. And we'll see it in more performance vehicles. Combine it with a Turbo ICE and we got gobs of potential power.
Old 06-02-14, 07:48 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I would be thrilled to see GM dump the ohv stuff so maybe going hybrid with a smaller ohc motor will be the path to killing the ohv.
Old 06-02-14, 08:32 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I would be thrilled to see GM dump the ohv stuff so maybe going hybrid with a smaller ohc motor will be the path to killing the ohv.
Physically speaking the OHV engines are more compact and weigh less than their ohc or dohc counterparts.

GM has managed to make the OHV engine more efficient and reliable than many ohc engines.

The day GM ditches an ohv for a ohc is the day the 911 stops using a flat 6
Old 06-02-14, 08:38 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

doge

everything you say is true about the results they get from the design

my problem is the ohv thing is kind of a camp mentality

I get the fact that GM can make relatively cheap cars go really fast and has a big following using ohv

what I am about to say next is kind of polarizing so no one should take it personally

ohc campers like science classes and high quality foreign made goods

ohv campers like unions and believe the 70s was a great time in US auto history
Old 06-02-14, 09:06 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
doge

everything you say is true about the results they get from the design

my problem is the ohv thing is kind of a camp mentality

I get the fact that GM can make relatively cheap cars go really fast and has a big following using ohv

what I am about to say next is kind of polarizing so no one should take it personally

ohc campers like science classes and high quality foreign made goods

ohv campers like unions and believe the 70s was a great time in US auto history
Lol no offense taken.By your logic everyone either in one camp or another a camp is in a camp of its own

I digress...

GM knows its base... by ditching OHV GM may gain a customer of 2, but can you tell me how many it'll loose by ditching it?

Once you have pedigree you stick with it...
Old 06-03-14, 06:58 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Eighth-Generation C8 Chevrolet Corvette Could be a Hybrid

The Chevrolet Corvette Stingray has barely been on the market and rumor has it that General Motors is already working on its successor.

According to a recent report from the Detroit News, the American automaker won’t rule out the idea of a hybrid or even electric Corvette which may or may not come as a surprise to some. Many automakers are turning to electrification for more power, and using a hybrid powertrain to maximize performance while meeting strict emissions requirements might be a direction Chevy is forced to go.

Exotics such as the Ferrari LaFerrari, McLaren P1 and the Porsche 918 Spyder all use hybrid powertrain technology to enhance their performance. Considering that the Corvette Stingray is barely a year old, hybrid technology will be quite different by the time the eight-generation Corvette comes around.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...te-hybrid.html
Old 06-03-14, 07:01 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default The New Corvette C8: A Future Vision

On the heels of the introduction of the new 2014 Corvette C7 Stingray, this missive paints a picture of what the world could be like upon the introduction of its next sibling – anywhere from 7 to 15 years in the future. A lot will happen between now and then. Proposed below are a few ideas, concepts, and some radical shifts that prescient and innovative auto manufacturers would be smart to consider.

I’d first like to start out by thanking the 3,749,876 people who contributed to the design of the new Chevrolet Corvette C8 Stingray. Without their voices, resolute loyalty, innovative ideas, willingness to collaborate, and vision to join us as co- brand-owners, not only would the car not ever have been produced, the Chevrolet brand would likely have disappeared.

When we introduced the 2014 C7 way back in 2013 — wow, it seems so long ago — we did more than we ever thought possible to deliver what people wanted, yet retain the soul of the Corvette as a sports car enthusiast’s icon. This C8 you see in our “imaginarium” to my left — pretty cool, right? The car’s not even here on this stage, but looks so real. And yes, in reality, it defies the imagination. Every element — from drivetrain to its carbon chassis, to the engine bushings, to seat stitch patterns — was designed, sourced, and crafted through input from this group of nearly four million people around the world. I can remember talking with our agency partners back in 2013 about how much the world has changed. Who would have predicted that consumer opinion and desire would so directly influence car design, production, and how it’s bought, shared, and re-sold. I can only wonder what my kids will think of the C10 or C13.

But the car itself represents much more than innovative design and technology. It represents a full-scale, radical shift of our entire company and the business models we’ve relied on for nearly 125 years.

I’d like to take this opportunity to review with you all, leaders in the communications industry, the most significant events that transpired to enable us to win this most prestigious of honors, the Human Brand of the Decade Award.

It started with a commitment to understanding and responding to what people are saying and doing at the most personal level possible. Hey, all of you marketers out there — remember when we were “chasing” omni-channel? Trying to catch people where they meet in digital environments? Well, hindsight is 20/20, of course. But we began to see that the social conversation channels of their day — Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, and remember Google +? They started the transformation of our business — we actually started having real, meaningful conversations with actual human beings.

Over time, we stopped “chasing” omni-channel because we actually learned how to talk WITH people vs. just talking AT them. Omni-channel came to US, to Chevrolet, and after a time, we didn’t have to chase people down in their personal lives, or intercept them, or flood them with wasted, irrelevant marketing. The people we needed to talk to us actually sought us out — why? Because they realized that we finally knew who they were, cared about them at a personal level, met them on their terms, and responded to their wants and needs.

So it started with conversations. Millions of them. Every month. From Corvette fans to Porsche owners who never knew they’d ever consider a corvette. 2015 was the watershed. A tsunami of human expression hit Chevrolet’s owned and earned media landscape — it was a tipping point no one predicted, but became astonishingly real when Facebook merged with YouTube. Even more so when Pinterest bought Twitter. We knew we’d have to act faster than we ever had, and were smart enough to see that the first major steps would be to build a person-to-person relationship-building infrastructure that would enable us to deal with ”unstructured” data. We had to capture, process, understand, optimize, and act on every meaningful conversation that came across our bow, regardless of where it came from. No way we could have done this manually or with a single software tool. We built a social infrastructure to deal with all of this.

Next, we married all of this “unstructured” data with the massive repositories of “structured” information we aggregated from everywhere we could find — from DMV records to partner retail POS data, to real-time driving telematics feeds, to census information…you name it, we collected it. Why? Because right about that time, the systems became “smart” — our data scientists (we call them “turbo-quants”) created the ability to predict and anticipate interest, intent, behaviors, and physical problems before they emerge across our competitive landscape. We blended the sentient world, and all of the data now available to us, with the social world, where people freely provided insight into how our brand — a massive global enterprise — could become pals, just like your closest friends know what you like and don’t like.

We became, finally, a social business — not overnight, of course. It took a lot of hard work to embed a social relationship mindset across a globally distributed network of dozens of individual business groups. We started with the technology infrastructure to manage social connections and unstructured data streams in 2013. Becoming a social brand actually facilitated the biggest transformation of all — it changed the entire business model for the company. The moment I knew this was real was actually just a few years ago when we made our one millionth Bitcoin sale!

Just two years ago, we turned GM into, basically, a “collective” hybrid, where the Chevrolet brand is literally co-owned by its customers. Buyers choose their payment thresholds — say $500 per month, or $40,000 — and they get so much more than just the vehicle they drive daily. For that “purchase level,” they’re actually buying Chevrolet the company, not just the new C8. They get stock in GM, and can choose from other things like tickets to events we sponsor, other models to drive for limited time-shares when they choose (depending on their investment level), or trade and loan cars among and between themselves. Best of all, the new model made people feel comfortable with Chevrolet. They realized there was real value to them in providing opinions and feedback, and we’ve made it easier and easier — friendlier really — to do so. We feed all of this in real-time to sales, service, design, and production teams. This enabled us to virtually eliminate the middleman, the traditional dealer network. People are now co-designing every car we build, how they’re sold to consumers, and how they’re shared within the collaborative owner / loaner network. It’s happening in real-time, every day. It’s mind-bending to see how the traditional lines of business — the internal divisions within Chevrolet and GM that formed over the past 150 years — have now been deconstructed and reformulated around people. We’re now aligned by customer tiers — who’s asking for what kind of car or service model or sharing plan. It’s truly amazing.

So, we come back to the glorious new C8. I can already see the conversation stream on my iWatch. Look, LeBron James’s son just tweeted the hologram to his two million followers, and we already have more than 10,000 people around the world lined up for sell-through, just from the time I’ve started talking here with you all. The car will clearly be a hit, and we are extremely thankful for the support of our loyal Corvette ambassadors around the globe.

But I hope you also take away from our time together today that the story is much bigger than the actual car. It’s about the melding of two worlds that simply didn’t ever believe that coming together would produce more value to both than simply the sum of the parts.

To end, I’ll leave you with our simple mantra: People will embrace a brand when the brand becomes human!
http://pivotcon.com/the-new-corvette-c8/
Old 06-03-14, 03:15 PM
Hoovey689

Talk of the C8, C6 was 2005-2013 so maybe by 2022 the C8 would be ready? In that case I wouldn't doubt there would be at least an optional hybrid powertrain seeing as how Volt tech will be better and hypercars are starting to use hybrid set-ups
Old 06-03-14, 03:20 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

A 8-10 life cycle for the C7 sounds about right.
Old 09-11-14, 10:25 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Here's Chevy's Plan For The Mid-Engined 2017 C8 'Corvette Zora'

The mid-engined Corvette is the automobile magazine's white whale; an elusive beast that always seems so close and yet, always, just of reach. This time Car and Driver thinks it's really going to happen. Here are the details.

The full preview of the vehicle, with research by Don Sherman and renders from the likes of Ken Okuyama and Camilo Pardo, is in the October issue of C/D, which you can find on newsstands now. As always, you can also see their ongoing coverage of the Corvette here. — Editor's Note.

GM’s head of global product development, Mark Reuss, confirms that the company is working on the next Corvette. Our sources elaborate on this salient piece of information, telling us that, after 61 years of evolution, the C8 will be revolutionary.

The new Corvette will be the mid-engined American Dream Machine that Chevy couldn’t, until now, muster the courage to build. In truth, the factory is still not prepared to detail what’s coming, which is why you’re looking at the 2017 model year through our freshly waxed crystal ball.

THE PLAN: The C8 flagship, the Zora ZR1, will debut the new mid-engine architecture. Launching as a 2017 model, it will define the top of the Corvette hierarchy just as its precursors did in 1990-1995 C4 generation and 2009-2013 C6 model years. As before, the ZR1 will be low volume, roughly 1500 units per annum, and high priced. We figure around $150,000.

Here's Chevy's Plan For The Mid-Engined 2017 'Corvette Zora'
EXPAND
THE ENGINES: Small-block V-8s will remain the engine of choice—at least for the near future. And, beginning with the Zora ZR1, they’ll nestle just in front of the rear axle.

THE STRUCTURE: Today’s aluminum space frame will need a heavy massage to provide the C8 with strong, stiff bones. But it’s doable: The robotic frame fabrication GM tooled up for the C7 can be expanded and reprogrammed to serve the coming car.

THE BODY: Doors are the next logical candidate for conversion from sheet-molded fiberglass to lighter, stiffer, crash-resistant carbon-composite assemblies. Current Corvette supplier Plasan Carbon Composites manufactures carbon-fiber panels for both the Corvette and the Viper, and this firm has the ability to supply additional parts using its advanced press-press processes.

THE CHASSIS: Expect the current control-arm suspensions, composite leaf springs, adjustable magnetic dampers, and Brembo brakes to carry on with appropriate revisions.
http://jalopnik.com/heres-chevys-pla...zor-1633072245

Quick Reply: C8 (Zora) Corvette may has hybrid variant