Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

School me on aftermarket Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 04:13 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on aftermarket Air Suspension

I am thinking about ditching the factory air in my LS430 but do not know where to begin. Seems like I hear people talkin about UAS and Air Runner. Are they the top 2 choices for our cars ? What should I look for if I decide to go with aftermarket air suspension ? How much should I plan on spending to get everything I am gonna need including the parts to deal with camber and alignment . And how much should I plan on spending in body mods ? Do you guys usually just shave the fender and pull out the liners or must you pull the fender as well ? Or does that depend on my wheel and tire setup mostly ?
Old 03-31-14, 04:43 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

should have posted this in the LS430 section.

well you have a few options, you can either get a bolt-on kit or a universal kit. the most common bolt on kits are d2, ksport, airrex, airforce, airruner and a few others, but your already familiar with UAS. using UAS will either require you to use your stock struts (not preferred) or using a coilover system (preferred) due to the ease of adjusting the height and dampening (if applicable). But there is a couple different types of air management you can buy or you can just run manual valves. Accuair is currently the most popular right now but there are countless others if you search.

the front of the LS has some minor camber adjustment, but the rear has no camber adjustment at all. with this said, you would need to buy aftermarket arms. Megan is the cheapest so far and offers the 3 arms to get your car driving perfectly straight.

depending on what your wheel specs you plan on running, that would determine what type of bodywork you need.
Old 03-31-14, 05:03 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply , good information there . I did not wanna post in the LS section because this is not really an LS specific issue as people use air on all kinds of cars , plus it will get seen more here. Will these aftermarket setups be a lot more reliable then the OEM air setup ?
Old 03-31-14, 06:28 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Best place on this site to obtain a wealth of air knowledge and ask all of your air related questions...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/vip-style-188/
Old 04-01-14, 12:50 AM
mlum808
Driver

Airrex make an easy system to install into your car and many are swapping out there systems for AIRREX now days. Our managements system are by far the best pressure based systems on the market that works just as well ad height based systems for a far is height presets go.

It easy to install becuase there are none of those hieght sensor that can be a pain to install and it does talk some time and some trail and error to get it perfect. Where as the airrex system can be done in a total of 5 hours

We have a dealer on CL that sells airrex kust let me know if you need more info
Old 04-01-14, 02:12 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
I am thinking about ditching the factory air in my LS430 but do not know where to begin. Seems like I hear people talkin about UAS and Air Runner. Are they the top 2 choices for our cars ? What should I look for if I decide to go with aftermarket air suspension ? How much should I plan on spending to get everything I am gonna need including the parts to deal with camber and alignment . And how much should I plan on spending in body mods ? Do you guys usually just shave the fender and pull out the liners or must you pull the fender as well ? Or does that depend on my wheel and tire setup mostly ?
Go AirREX, I have it on both my vehicles. The ride is like driving on coilovers. It performs well and gives a decent ride. My UCF20 handles very well for being a big car on bags. I owned UAS on kybs before but there was always little noises or quirks in the system. I also owned Air Runner, imo the 2GS handled poorly , kinda like a waterbed. LOL.

Get the AirREX Digital Air Management too. The whole system can be installed in like 4-5 hours. There's no PITA height level sensors to deal with either.
Old 04-02-14, 06:28 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by /209JOHN\
Go AirREX, I have it on both my vehicles. The ride is like driving on coilovers. It performs well and gives a decent ride. My UCF20 handles very well for being a big car on bags. I owned UAS on kybs before but there was always little noises or quirks in the system. I also owned Air Runner, imo the 2GS handled poorly , kinda like a waterbed. LOL.

Get the AirREX Digital Air Management too. The whole system can be installed in like 4-5 hours. There's no PITA height level sensors to deal with either.
Thank you very much. Do you have any videos of your cars ?
Old 04-09-14, 09:09 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if u want a bolt on kit, get airrex struts and use accuair management with e level.