Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM's Reuss says rear-wheel drive Scion FR-S rival "on the list"

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 09:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default GM's Reuss says rear-wheel drive Scion FR-S rival "on the list"

According to Australian site CarSales.com.au, General Motors North American boss, Mark Reuss, has expressed high interest in creating a small, rear-wheel-drive coupe to rival the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ. If something like this ever came to production, it could take the shape of the Chevrolet Code 130R concept car (pictured) that debuted at last year's Detroit Auto Show.

"It's on the list. It would be a great entry for us," Reuss told CarSales.com.au, adding, "I don't know if they (Toyota) are making any money but it is a very attractive car."

A production version of the 130R would likely ride on a small, rear-drive platform like GM's Alpha architecture, which currently underpins the Cadillac ATS and will eventually be used in the next Chevrolet Camaro. "We would do something with the knowledge of Alpha and the background, but we wouldn't take Alpha and try and shrink it," said Reuss.

We've heard faint whispers about exactly this scenario previously, and the fact that it's still on the table is a good sign. Of course, if development hasn't started yet and a project like this gets the green light, there's no telling how far off a small, rear-drive coupe from GM could be. And considering how popular the Scion and Subaru twins have proven (at least in their early life), GM would be wise to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/17/g...l-on-the-list/
Old 01-17-13, 09:08 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

i actually like the look. kinda looks like bmw 1 series but of course you know the interior quality of gm cars.
Old 01-17-13, 09:54 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as long as it Isn't another z24 passed off as a competitor lol
Old 01-17-13, 11:31 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Very high praise for Toyota. Once again shows what a market leader can do for the industry.

Of course, I doubt GM can come up with anything resembling what the FT-86 platform offers.
Old 01-18-13, 06:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking GM is kidding,right?

By Steven J. Ewing
Posted Jan 17th 2013

According to Australian site CarSales.com.au, General Motors North American boss, Mark Reuss, has expressed high interest in creating a small, rear-wheel-drive coupe to rival the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ. If something like this ever came to production, it could take the shape of the Chevrolet Code 130R concept car (pictured) that debuted at last year's Detroit Auto Show.

"It's on the list. It would be a great entry for us," Reuss told CarSales.com.au, adding, "I don't know if they (Toyota) are making any money but it is a very attractive car."

A production version of the 130R would likely ride on a small, rear-drive platform like GM's Alpha architecture, which currently underpins the Cadillac ATS and will eventually be used in the next Chevrolet Camaro. "We would do something with the knowledge of Alpha and the background, but we wouldn't take Alpha and try and shrink it," said Reuss.

We've heard faint whispers about exactly this scenario previously, and the fact that it's still on the table is a good sign. Of course, if development hasn't started yet and a project like this gets the green light, there's no telling how far off a small, rear-drive coupe from GM could be. And considering how popular the Scion and Subaru twins have proven (at least in their early life), GM would be wise to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later.

Old 01-18-13, 06:10 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Basically what I see is what Cherry does. Chevy took the overall form of the FRS/BRZ and fused it into itself. The taillights look VERY similar to the FRS/BRZ and the front end.....well, it looks like a failed design for the FRS/BRZ. This car screams copy to me. The form, the shape, everything about it looks off.
Old 01-18-13, 06:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

C7 Corvette taillights...
Old 01-18-13, 06:19 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Basically what I see is what Cherry does. Chevy took the overall form of the FRS/BRZ and fused it into itself. The taillights look VERY similar to the FRS/BRZ and the front end.....well, it looks like a failed design for the FRS/BRZ. This car screams copy to me. The form, the shape, everything about it looks off.
The Code 130R was first shown at the Detroit Auto Show in January of 2012. The Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ were not in production at that time. In any case, it looks nothing like the FR-S or BRZ. If anything, it looks somewhat similar to a BMW 1 Series Coupe.
Old 01-18-13, 06:21 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^Either way, it's an ugly car.

Seems out of proportion like a CARS car, or a hotwheels 'extreme' car.
Old 01-18-13, 06:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm not sure if I understand the title. Why would they be kidding? They've proved they can make good handling cars in the past.

Kidding because that model is damn ugly.
Even diehard GM guys and Toyota haters on the Corvette forum feel the same.
Old 01-18-13, 06:29 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i actually like the look. kinda looks like bmw 1 series but of course you know the interior quality of gm cars.
Have you been in a GM in the last couple of years? I think some of their interiors are better than most of the cost-cutting competition.
Old 01-18-13, 06:33 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

ummmm that is awful.
Old 01-18-13, 06:37 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gengar
Very high praise for Toyota. Once again shows what a market leader can do for the industry.

Of course, I doubt GM can come up with anything resembling what the FT-86 platform offers.
I think GM may be able to produce something similar...

Old 01-18-13, 07:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Outrage
I think GM may be able to produce something similar...

The Saturn Sky design wasn't bad.I like it more than the Solstice.
My neighbor has a black one.Looks good.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-18-13 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-18-13, 08:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

They were sales failures though... probably because they were not world cars plus they never got anywhere close to the praise that GT86 did... what Toyota/Subaru managed to do is sell GT86 worldwide too, only 20-30% of the sales are from US (or close to it, not official figures).

Quick Reply: GM's Reuss says rear-wheel drive Scion FR-S rival "on the list"