Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda6 diesel postponed for emissions testing delays

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 06:24 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mazda6 diesel postponed for emissions testing delays

Mazda6 diesel postponed for emissions testing delays

LOS ANGELES -- Mazda has postponed the U.S. launch of its diesel-powered Mazda6 mid-sized sedan until April because of delays in emissions testing, the company said Thursday.

Instead of hitting showrooms before year end as planned, Mazda6 sedans powered by the automaker's Skyactiv-D 2.2-liter turbodiesel will arrive in late April, Robert Davis, senior vice president of U.S. operations for Mazda North American Operations, disclosed to Mazda employees today in a letter obtained by Automotive News.

Mazda later confirmed in a brief statement that the diesel launch would be delayed until late-spring 2014, "to accommodate final emissions testing and certification."

The delay is a speed bump in the company's plan to become the only Japanese automaker to sell a diesel-powered passenger car in the United States. While most other automakers have launched hybrids, plug-in hybrids and electric vehicles to meet tougher fuel economy standards, Mazda charted its own course by making diesel-powered vehicles a key part of its fuel economy strategy.

In the letter, Davis said final emissions certification testing on the powertrain is taking longer than the company expected.

"I know we had discussed it being in showrooms before the end of the year, and everyone involved in the program is disappointed it will not be, but final certification testing -- the results of which are looking encouraging -- is taking longer than we had initially expected," Davis wrote.

A Mazda source close to the situation says that in lieu of the Mazda6 diesel, U.S. dealers will receive about 4,000 additional units of the Mazda6 sedan with regular gasoline engines in the first quarter next year than initially planned. The car is in short supply after sales more than doubled compared to the prior year in June, July and August.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2mhkIG4U5
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook
Old 12-06-13, 06:29 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

BUMMER...

I hope they get it sorted out. I'm an engineer, not in the automotive world, and a lot of what we do is regulatory compliance engineering for different standards across the world. In fact it's exactly what i'm doing right now on a widget I'm working on. Translation - the Mazda6 diesel is currently failing U.S. emissions standards. Their whole strategy on this engine was to drop the compression all the way down to an uncharacteristically low for a diesel 14.0:1, so that they could avoid needing a urea (AdBlue) catalyst injection system to the car, which would add expense and maintenance. Not sure what others or VW do, but I know Mercedes and BMW and pretty sure Audi also all use more traditional diesel compression ratios up in the 18.0:1 range or higher, and AdBlue catalyst injection. Hope Mazda can get it sorted out, and that performance or fuel economy isn't crippled as a result. Efficiency improvements were already going to take a hit due to the much lower compression ratio....
Old 12-06-13, 09:49 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

waaaaaaaaaaat! That's so flaming. That diesel was what drew me into the Mazda6 even more than how refined it is now.
Old 12-06-13, 11:15 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nooooooooooooo!
Old 12-06-13, 11:40 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

It seems the diesels in VW's smaller cars do not use selective catalytic reduction (SCR) with AdBlue (urea injection) because they rely on cooled exhaust gas recirculation. But EGR reduces power and economy.

The diesels in VW's larger cars (Passat and Touareg) use SCR and AdBlue.

The Chevy Cruze Diesel does not need SCR in Europe but uses SCR in North America. In Europe, diesel emissions regulations are still less strict than North America (at least until 2014/2015 when the stricter Euro6 regulations come into effect).
Old 01-09-14, 11:38 AM
Hoovey689

Default Mazda delays US launch of Skyactiv-D engine.. again

Mazda delays US launch of Skyactiv-D engine

Japanese automakers haven't lead the charge towards diesel power in the same way as, say, the Germans have. But Mazda is out to change that. It has been following Audi's lead on the racetrack with oil-burning racecars right here in America, and will soon translate that excitement to the road by introducing its Skyactiv-D engine in North America. It just won't happen as soon as we expected.

Mazda announced today that, while its diesel engine meets current emissions requirements, the company has decided once again to push back an introduction originally slated to kick off in the Spring. According to the brief statement below, Mazda wants to take more time to find "the right balance between fuel economy and Mazda-appropriate driving performance."
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/09/m...unch-official/
Old 01-09-14, 12:03 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Oh dear god. Come on Mazda! My friend is looking at a new cars and I really want to recommend the Mazda6 Diesel! Mostly because I wanna test drive it
Old 01-09-14, 01:18 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Well that's a shame, and pretty much what I was fearing. Basically what they're saying is that their emissions compliance solution involved trading off either fuel economy or performance or both to the point that they no longer had a competitive product, and thus don't really have anything to offer the market at this point. They're already competing with the very best and most efficient petrol engines on the planet in this class, their own. Sounds like they're going for a major "rip up" of the design then. I would not hold my breathe at this point. Sounds like they're going to significantly re-engineer the engine, and after they do that that will require another round of emissions compliance testing and everything, no top of whatever internal regression type testing (durability, etc) they'd have to do. Forget it for the 2014 calendar year. Probably CY15 at the earliest for these diesels here, if they don't scrap it altogether.
Old 02-26-14, 06:35 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Mazda: Didn’t Want to Damage Clean-Diesel Reputation

CHICAGO – Mazda delayed the U.S. introduction of its Mazda6 diesel because it believed the engine wasn’t ready for this market and it didn’t want to turn off buyers to diesels industry-wide, the automaker’s top U.S. executive says.

“I didn’t want to damage the clean-diesel reputation for the North American market,” Jim O’Sullivan, CEO and president-Mazda North American Operations, tells WardsAuto in an interview here at the 2014 Chicago Auto Show.

While O’Sullivan says Mazda has solved the emissions puzzle for the mill, a 2.2L turbodiesel set for its midsize sedan, performance goals have been tougher to meet.

The Mazda6 diesel was to bow last fall, which would have made it the only diesel-powered car from an Asian manufacturer in the U.S., but it pushed the intro back until spring 2014 due to problems meeting emissions targets. Now, timing for the launch is unspecified.

“I remember I was on the phone (on) Christmas Eve, with Japan, making the decision that the best thing the company can do is spend the time to get it right,” O’Sullivan says. “When we enter the market, we’re going to have the performance aspects we want for this car vs. just meeting a mandated requirement and putting something out there.

“I don’t want to have (buyers) come back to me and say, ‘I bought one of these things, but it’s not the Mazda zoom-zoom (character) – it doesn’t have the performance aspect that I really want,’” he says.

Few technical specifications are known about the 2.2L diesel for U.S. application. It has been said to make 173 hp and 310 lb.-ft. (420 Nm) of torque.

Mazda at first stated it was not using a urea exhaust after-treatment system, but reports have indicated it may change tactics, possibly using both a diesel particulate filter and urea injection, following the path of the Chevrolet Cruze Diesel sold in the U.S.

O’Sullivan says Mazda currently can meet EPA and California requirements without after-treatment on the 2.2L diesel.

O’Sullivan doesn’t believe Mazda dealers have taken deposits yet on the Mazda6 diesel, and the automaker did not have a website set up to solicit interested parties in the U.S.

He remains keen to get the engine in market, believing the lock Volkswagen has on the segment in the U.S. isn’t unbreakable.

“I think it’s a good opportunity for us, because not only are we the only Asian brand bringing clean diesel in but there’s a lot of people that look at TDI (turbodiesel injection) more than they look at the Volkswagen brand,” he says.
http://wardsauto.com/north-america/m...sel-reputation

I will happily pay $1000 extra for a top-performing diesel engine with a proper 18.0:1 compression ratio or thereabouts with an AdBlue tank and SCR system and whatever it takes. It's worth it. Plenty of spunk and zoom-zoom in the 3-liter-6 in our X5, even with 5200 lbs worth of beastly SUV to haul around. And the fuel efficiency is great too. Thank you Mazda for pulling the plug on this watered down "cost and emissions optimized" contraption. Please bring the full-tilt version with all of the goodies here ASAP, thanks.

And correct, I know a lot of people who have been interested in VWs for the TDI diesel engines and insanely good fuel economy, but have heard all sorts of bad things about VW reliability and maintenance issues and just aren't interested. There's big market potential for a diesel in the U.S. from a trusted Japanese manufacturer. Heck even I'm hesitant to really consider a VW TDI. It's not the engine but really the rest of the car that I'm concerned about. No such hesitation with a Mazda, but yes it needs to have zoom-zoom spunk.
Old 02-26-14, 07:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
http://wardsauto.com/north-america/m...sel-reputation

I will happily pay $1000 extra for a top-performing diesel engine with a proper 18.0:1 compression ratio or thereabouts with an AdBlue tank and SCR system and whatever it takes. It's worth it. Plenty of spunk and zoom-zoom in the 3-liter-6 in our X5, even with 5200 lbs worth of beastly SUV to haul around. And the fuel efficiency is great too. Thank you Mazda for pulling the plug on this watered down "cost and emissions optimized" contraption. Please bring the full-tilt version with all of the goodies here ASAP, thanks.

And correct, I know a lot of people who have been interested in VWs for the TDI diesel engines and insanely good fuel economy, but have heard all sorts of bad things about VW reliability and maintenance issues and just aren't interested. There's big market potential for a diesel in the U.S. from a trusted Japanese manufacturer. Heck even I'm hesitant to really consider a VW TDI. It's not the engine but really the rest of the car that I'm concerned about. No such hesitation with a Mazda, but yes it needs to have zoom-zoom spunk.

You do realize that Mazda's SkyD has 14.0:1 compression ratio?
Old 02-26-14, 10:32 AM
Hoovey689

Mazda: Didn’t Want to Damage Clean-Diesel Reputation
fair enough, diesel has a hard enough time here. Maybe it's for the best. But I really want to test drive a Mazda6 SkyActiv-D as soon as they are available
Old 02-26-14, 11:11 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
You do realize that Mazda's SkyD has 14.0:1 compression ratio?
Yes, and that proved to be the wrong approach in the U.S. Mazda was even boasting about this fact on their U.S. website and how dropping it that low would allow them to get by without an SCR system. Well.........
Old 02-26-14, 03:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mazda's Skyactiv line of engines are already very efficient. No reason at all to bother with a diesel, at least here in the US.
Old 02-26-14, 04:30 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no engineer but how does the reliability and longevity characteristics of the engine change with those modded compression ratios ?

they keep trying to squeeze every little drip out of these little tiny engines, only to compromise reliability.
Old 02-26-14, 06:17 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Och
Mazda's Skyactiv line of engines are already very efficient. No reason at all to bother with a diesel, at least here in the US.
dat torque though.. 173hp 310lbft

Quick Reply: Mazda6 diesel postponed for emissions testing delays