Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mazda3

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 03:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
My wife will be getting a fully loaded one too.. Especially when you consider this car has so many features like

Adaptive headlights
headsup nav display
emergency collision detection w/ autobraking

I don't even think you can get those features on the new IS can you?
I don't believe so, well other than the Pre Collison System (PCS) with Dynamic Radar Cruise. No HUD and no AFS.

I too will seriously be considering a black sedan S Grand Touring (waiting for both the car and to see if the diesel will be offered). 310lbft in the Mazda6!!
Old 07-25-13, 04:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
My wife will be getting a fully loaded one too.. Especially when you consider this car has so many features like

Adaptive headlights
headsup nav display
emergency collision detection w/ autobraking

I don't even think you can get those features on the new IS can you?
i hope they will get 10,000 of you, or else their sales and profits will continue to go down....
Old 07-25-13, 07:05 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am sure that Bose in $30k Mazda will rival Mark Levinson, and of course 2.5l engine, lane departure warning and 7" screen, who wouldnt pay $30k for that?

Point is - it is very expensive. It might be great for Europe, but Mazda Speed used to cost 25k, now you pay $30k for 2.5l engine.... what will Mazda Speed version cost, $35k?

These options and pricing makes sense for Europe and Japan, not for US. People in US like to buy "loaded" and if you tell them "loaded" is $30k they will laugh you off.

It is sad that Mazda still does not understand how US market works and no wonder their sales are bad, despite good product... they have to replace whoever is head of their marketing and start over.

If you have great products and bad sales then obviously something is wrong.
Agreed. Very few Americans will plump down $30K for a Mazda3, or any compact for that matter. Small and premium rarely succeeds here. Or more accurately, economy models that are overloaded and become pricey. Most Americans still match pricing to size and segments. Meaning that when someone sees that a Mazda6 starts around $23K (auto), not much consideration goes to buying any Mazda3 approaching that price point.

There's the logic that you get a bigger, better car even if it ultimately has less features than the loaded smaller car. Obviously, the 6 is a superior, more advanced car. Loading a 3 up with more gadgets doesn't make the car itself better than the 6.
Old 05-20-14, 01:27 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mazda3 MPS due in two years, could have 300 PS & all-wheel drive - report

Sounds promising

We haven't heard much about the Mazda3 MPS / Mazdaspeed3 lately but a new report is indicating it could be launched within two years.

According to Holiday Auto, the high-performance model will feature a turbocharged 2.5-liter SKYACTIV-G petrol engine that produces up to 320 PS (225 kW). However, the final output could be limited to roughly 300 PS (220 kW) if their sources are correct.

Little else is known about the car but the engine will reportedly be connected to a six-speed manual transmission and an all-wheel drive system. The latter would be an interesting addition as it would likely help to improve the car's acceleration and handling.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11405207...-ps--all-wheel
Old 05-20-14, 01:30 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Mazda 3 MPS to have turbo 2.5-litre, AWD

Click here to view more renders

Turbocharged Skyactiv Mazda 3 MPS could be in market within two years with all-wheel drive.

Increasing competition in the hot hatch segment has pushed Mazda plans for a Mazda3 MPS powered by a turbocharged 2.5-litre, according to insiders in Japan.

While recent reports have indicated Mazda was considering a diesel drivetrain for the MPS -- which will face off against the VW Golf GTI, Ford Focus ST and coming Honda Civic Type-R as main rivals -- an article in the Japanese magazine Holiday Auto suggests the MPS will stick with turbo petrol power in the form of a highly efficient Skyactiv-G engine.

“They have denied rumours about the turbo officially, but have continued their research," a Japanese industry source was cited as explaining. "It was said that the turbo and Skyactiv with a high compression ratio don’t work well together, but it has been already solved.”

Mazda's Skyactiv petrol engine range optimises heat efficiency and high compression ratios with the aim of delivering excellent performance while still keeping the fuel economy figures low.

With European carmakers focusing on high-output, low-emission turbo engines to help meet their tightening environmental regulations, Mazda is said to be also looking in that direction to keep pace with the rest of the hot hatch field.

The Japanese source told the magazine the 2.5-litre turbo Skyactiv-G engine could be ready for release within two years, suggesting the Mazda3 MPS could arrive in 2016. The drivetrain is said to be all-wheel-drive with a six-speed manual transmission.

And the outputs? A bench test has confirmed 320ps (235kW) of power but final output is likely to be 300ps (220kW) depending on the tuning, according to the report.

This would give it a 30kW lift over the previous MPS which exited in 2013 with 190kW and 380Nm of torque from its turbocharged 2.3-litre engine, which predates the Skyactiv push.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...19?origin=hpc3
Old 05-20-14, 07:28 PM
Hoovey689

The Japanese source told the magazine the 2.5-litre turbo Skyactiv-G engine could be ready for release within two years, suggesting the Mazda3 MPS could arrive in 2016. The drivetrain is said to be all-wheel-drive with a six-speed manual transmission.
ahhhhhhhhh
Old 08-27-14, 01:56 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Rejoice: Mazda3 MPS / MazdaSpeed3 Coming With 2.5-Liter Turbo and 300 HP

Same rumors but with different renders...

Yes, you read the title right; 300 hp and even possible all-wheel drive. The hot Mazda3 MPS / MazdaSpeed3 will be launched along with the facelifted version of the car, sometime in the latter part of 2016.

The engine it’s set to use is the same 2.5-liter SKYACTIV unit they’re already employing, but with a big turbo strapped on. There’s little additional information on this, but even so, we don’t mind it.

Naturally, it will get distinguishing interior and exterior features, like all MPS models, along with the changes brought about by the expected facelift.

An all-new 3 will be launched in 2018, riding on an all-new platform, according to AutomotiveNews.

Before then, be on the lookout for the revised Mazda6, which should theoretically preview the kinds of changes the smaller 3 is set to receive in 2016. Among these we mention “a new center console and a thinner dashboard,” optional LED headlights, as well as a raft of other improvements, according to the same source.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/rej...d3-coming.html
Old 08-27-14, 02:37 PM
Hoovey689

Yes, you read the title right; 300 hp and even possible all-wheel drive
Gonna go get some plastic coverings in the event both become true and a tissue box just doesn't cut it
Old 12-18-14, 06:46 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We pit three stylish family hatchbacks against each other - the Mazda 3, Audi A3 and BMW 1 Series.
Old 12-18-14, 10:38 PM
Hoovey689

He seemed elated in the Mazda
Old 03-09-15, 08:50 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Mazda3 MPS rendered ahead of next year's possible launch

Expected to get 300 bhp & AWD

The Mazda3 has been envisioned in the more appealing MPS (Mazdaspeed) specification.

About a month ago we heard Mazda saying they want to rejuvenate the MPS moniker and chances are one of the first cars to receive this treatment will be the Mazda3. The latest gossip indicates an official launch will occur in the second half of next year and it will be based on the facelifted "3". Aside from getting a significantly more aggressive body, the hot model is expected to feature bigger wheels with high-performance tires and larger brakes.

More importantly, power will reportedly be provided by a four-cylinder 2.5-liter turbocharged gasoline engine generating more than 300 bhp (223 kW). Interestingly, the Mazda3 MPS will allegedly get an all-wheel drive layout, just like Ford has done with its recently unveiled third generation Focus RS.

Mazda could decide to slap the MPS badge on other models, with possible candidates being the “2” supermini and the MX-5 Roadster.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503089...ossible-launch
Old 03-09-15, 10:20 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we are in the market for a new car for my wife. This weekend we went over to take a Mazda 3 for a spin. She doesn't need power, just a good and comfortable car, so we agreed that 2.0 will do the trick. We took out a Hatchback Mazda3.

The exterior of the car looks appealing, but the interior, ohh boy, I don't know where to start. The car MSRP at around $20k, it sure did not feel like I was in the $20,000 car at all. It felt more like a $12,000 car. If I was to take a guess what car I was in without knowing that it was a Mazda, I would probably guess Kia. It just soooo cheap looking interior.

It drove ok, not much power as expected, BOSSE speakers did not work for me. The ONLY thing that I personally liked is when you hard break it, the steering wheel will not shake or move. My wife performed a hard break test, driving 45mp/h and then slamming on the breaks as hard as she could, the car performed well.

My wife on the other hand did not mind the cheap look, she liked the over all steering experience and how well it handled the breaking.

I tried the voice command system, it did not understand me at all. So, over all I hated the car, for $20,000 I would think it should be at least compete with a Civic, not in my eyes.

Last edited by FastTags; 03-09-15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-10-15, 08:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
The exterior of the car looks appealing, but the interior, ohh boy, I don't know where to start. The car MSRP at around $20k, it sure did not feel like I was in the $20,000 car at all. It felt more like a $12,000 car.
what $12,000 car exactly was it comparable to?

If I was to take a guess what car I was in without knowing that it was a Mazda, I would probably guess Kia. It just soooo cheap looking interior.
lol - when was the last time you were in a Kia? they're completely competitive with other brands.
Old 03-10-15, 09:06 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^Yep any Kia I can think of nowadays has a far better interior than any Mazda I can think of. In fact that's one thing Kia can do fairly right. Driving dynamics still aren't there though. The Mazda 6 is suppose to drive great, but the interior is far behind the Optimas. Especially the Optima SXL.
Old 03-10-15, 11:39 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what $12,000 car exactly was it comparable to?

lol - when was the last time you were in a Kia? they're completely competitive with other brands.
who cares, the car simply not worth $20K sticker IMO. Went to see 2015 Corolla, whoever designed the interior is a complete Moron. My wife kept asking me, why does it look like this. All, I could say, is I DUNNO.

There were other customers inside the Corolla, who were just as much disgusted with the look as we were. You cant tell that it looks bad from the pictures, you really have to see it.
The interior looked like hideous ,like a shriveled *****.

What is going ON, why are they making these cars look worse and worse every year!

Quick Reply: 2014 Mazda3