Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Best designed lineup?
Chrysler
2.08%
Ford
12.50%
GM
2.08%
Honda
0%
Hyundai
14.58%
Kia
8.33%
Mazda
20.83%
Nissan
4.17%
Subaru
0%
Toyota
20.83%
VW
14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Best overall styling - Which automaker? (2013)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 08:22 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best overall styling - Which automaker? (2013)

Love to see where people's opinions are on who is putting out today's best designs. This is a list of major players, mostly full line automakers, non-luxury/exotic. Listed are parent companies that include all divisions. Hyundai and Kia are listed separately because they are completely distinguished and are run independently.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 06-08-13 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 08:40 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say VW, I like the way their new cars look; just quality drives me away. And who can say audi, lambo, or porsche are ugly
Old 06-08-13, 09:27 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

I went with Hyundai. Their designs are sleek and very modern. Although the giant fish mouth grill is on every model, they really make it work and differentiate from each other.
Old 06-08-13, 10:43 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Since you could not vote for Audi, I voted VW. The Passat and Jetta are painfully boring, but I do like the Golf, GTI, and Jetta Wagon.
Old 06-08-13, 11:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

To start I believe Aston Martin has the best designed line-up. There's simply nothing sexier

With that said Mercedes Benz has the best designed line-up for a full line automaker regardless of luxury status vs mainstream

As neither of these two brands are in this specific poll I'm torn between two brands and their portfolios; GM and VW. Chevrolet has a largely revamped line-up, GMC are just gusied up Chevy's, Buick has an increasing portfolio of good looking cars, and Cadillac has injected some stunning design to their latest ATS and CTS. As for VW, VW's are plain and tend to dull the senses, but Audi, Porsche, Lambo, Bentley, Bugatti (forget about Seat and Skoda) sizzle.

I consider Honda, Subaru and Kia to have some of the worst design language in the industry. All three automakers have very competent cars but I feel no emotion towards any of them.

As for Chrysler, Ford, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan and Toyota they all have some strong offerings and some not so hot. Hence I'd rate them midpack, though most have improved significantly!
Old 06-09-13, 05:37 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

My vote has to go to Ford. I've been very impressed with their latest designs. Fusion, Focus, Taurus, Escape, Explorer IMO are all at the top of their classes in design or at least earning ties.

Following Ford, I do think Hyundai, Kia, and GM are design leaders. I am a little weary though on whether Hyundai's designs will age well. VW's "plain" designs will age the best.

Honda and Subaru I would say are the worse overall. Although The new Accord looks great. The rest are mid-pack. Mazda's lead in the polls surprises me a little. Some nice elements but not great IMO. Not too crazy about the new 6 even (front end is awkward to me).
Old 06-09-13, 05:51 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

why isn't lexus on the list?
Old 06-09-13, 06:07 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
why isn't lexus on the list?
Check out the opening post.

Dozens of individual brands are not listed for a reason. The poll is for major mainstream automakers. Luxury brands are not included. No BMW, Mercedes.....

Also, brands like Mitsubishi are omitted on purpose. Pretty much irrelevant at this point or brands that are just too small.
Old 06-09-13, 06:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

None of the above ... really can't name one from the list that really stands out, each have models I don't like ...
Old 06-09-13, 08:28 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted Mazda. Their Kodo design language is finally hitting its stride with the 6. Just a gorgeous deign theme that is not overwrought.
Old 06-09-13, 10:09 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

They are all equal. I can't really say which one stands out more.
Old 06-09-13, 10:31 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mordecai
I voted Mazda. Their Kodo design language is finally hitting its stride with the 6. Just a gorgeous deign theme that is not overwrought.
I was going to choose them when I was deciding but decided not too because the design language hasn't manifested itself completely. But ever since the CX-5, and definitely with the 6 and up coming 3 it's evident that its bold and flows well. The 6 is almost spot on for time Takeri concept, and plent if Shinari concept in it too
Old 06-09-13, 10:38 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

From a design standpoint, Hyundai has been doing a pretty good job the past few years. Genesis sedan/coupe, Equus, Azera, Sonata. Even the trucks look pretty decent.
Old 06-09-13, 12:32 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
To start I believe Aston Martin has the best designed line-up. There's simply nothing sexier
What?! Aston Martin is the best in your book? For me, I gotta give Maserati the nod. Those GranTurismo/Cabrio siblings are just too seductive. Hehe, it's kinda ironic that both of those beautiful makes compete against each other and we brought them up.

I voted Mazda on this, because even before the new Kodo styling, they did really good stylistically. Not many of their vehicles, if any, had derivative traces. The outgoing 6 wasn't a bad looking vehicle either. Just the current one is really good.

On the topic of deriving designs, the two big Koreans are pretty bad about it, but starting to grow away. I still cannot fully appreciate their design strategy yet. Maybe in a while .
Old 06-09-13, 03:25 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by trexlexus
What?! Aston Martin is the best in your book? For me, I gotta give Maserati the nod. Those GranTurismo/Cabrio siblings are just too seductive. Hehe, it's kinda ironic that both of those beautiful makes compete against each other and we brought them up.

I voted Mazda on this, because even before the new Kodo styling, they did really good stylistically. Not many of their vehicles, if any, had derivative traces. The outgoing 6 wasn't a bad looking vehicle either. Just the current one is really good.

On the topic of deriving designs, the two big Koreans are pretty bad about it, but starting to grow away. I still cannot fully appreciate their design strategy yet. Maybe in a while .
Oh by far! I think it's the sexiest thing on the planet since the 2005 era Vantage, DB9 and them came out. Maseratis are a good choice too

Quick Reply: Best overall styling - Which automaker? (2013)