Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW - No Longer The Ultimate Driving Machine

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 09:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Blackraven
^^^This

Mike, I'd have to say that this is one of the most balanced viewpoints and opinion pieces that you've ever given.

Nice one sir =)

)
Thanks bro and very well written post yourself. Its obvious Lexus has made a better BMW and BMW a better Lexus. Both marques are awesome. The GS may have won a battle but clearly BMW wins the war.

Old 04-01-13, 10:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^Indeed a valid point (no doubt)

However:
Until Lexus releases a >500 HP GS-F, I would still pick an M5 over a GS350 F-sport.

Just my opinion =)
LMAO ---- no thanks --- I just built my M5 Total MSRP as Built $111,395
Old 04-01-13, 12:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Its obvious Lexus has made a better BMW and BMW a better Lexus. Both marques are awesome. The GS may have won a battle but clearly BMW wins the war.
qed.
Old 04-01-13, 10:09 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Thread title should apply to the 3 and 5 Series as the ATS and GS have seemingly dethroned each one respectively as the better drivers car.
Again, you're comparing a base model car. Most people buying base model BMW's care little about it being "the ultimate driving machine" anyway. There are plenty of models up the food chain in their line up that brings above average driving dynamics to the table.

The thread title is baiting.

One model doesn't make an entire line up. Stack up the best that each marque has to offer and lets see how things shake out. There isn't a mainstream manufacturer, outside of Porsche, that knows driving dynamics better than BMW across a line up.

Lexus still has plenty of catching up to do which we've discussed in almost countless threads it seems in just the past month.
They do, but it is encouraging that they are at least attempting to get in the game. However, this secrecy or unwillingness to commit to a new IS F may be an unwise decision if they want to maintain any credibility.

The GS may be improved, but the sales haven't made much of a dent as it badly lags behind the 5 and E and is even currently getting outsold by the A6. The grill may be a bigger issue than some want to acknowledge, as if the car is that much improved from a driving perspective something must be holding the sales back.

M5 is still a force to be reckoned with (I myself would prefer the XFR), but the fact that it uses a soundtrack to pump an engine/exhaust note through the speakers is atrocious. Shame on you BMW.
Agreed, and this caused a major stir on the BMW sites. While the M5 is heavier and has some issues like the one you mentioned, it is still an absolute beast and will tear up the 'Ring in a way that the GS can only dream about.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The M cars are all niche. The standard BMWs that everyone buys are really no more driving machines than anything else in their segments. The tag line has become a marketing slogan rather than a philosophy.
100% agree.

The difference is that BMW has some form of performance option from just about every one of their models. They also support aftermarket performance upgrades through their partnership with Dinan.

Originally Posted by spwolf
so if someone posts performance numbers between 535i and GS350 done by independent lab, they are fanboys posting fanboy threads?

These are sport sedans and sold as such. Once again, pretty funny that apparently it doesnt matter anymore.
No, posting a thread stating that the GS outperforms the 535i would have been fully understandable and on point.

However, posting a thread title that the OP used is simply baiting....and untrue.

Originally Posted by natnut
I wonder how much of that mysterious "BMW feel" that its fans rave about in its current models (despite the objective handling data) has more to do with the roundel on its bonnet.

It would be an interesting exercise if a 4GS and a BMW 3/5 series were completely debadged and a BMW fanboy were to test-drive all 3 cars back-to-back not knowing which car he drove. Would he be able to tell that special feel came from which car?

Because the current 3 and 5 series drive nothing like the past 3 and 5 series of old. I'd say that the new 4GS drives more "BMW" than the current BMW sedans.
You really need to get out and actually drive some different vehicles.

If you don't think that BMW's provide a better driving dynamic than most cars out there, you obviously haven't been behind the wheel.

Whether you like the cars or not, they do an excellent job in terms of driving dynamics. The fact that the new GS outperforms the 535 is great for Lexus, but does not negate the fact that they have all kinds of options that provide the kind of driving engagement that nobody but Porsche can top.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Your reply is missing more "LOL" comments and emoticons .

This is a LEXUS forum, the BMW forums are that way. Feeling butthurt that the 4GS performs better than an equivalent 5 Series? Well the truth hurts sometimes.
I could give a flying f*** which car outperforms who. Not buying either of them.

Well aware of what forum it is, but thanks for the tip.

Please don't spout off about Lexus performance to me. You forget that I was one of the first people in Alberta to actually get into an IS F way back in '08.

Butthurt...lol. Fanboys can exit stage left, thanks.

Good post man and thanks!

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Just spectacular!!
Agreed....minus the lame M badges.
Old 04-02-13, 06:42 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Thanks bro and very well written post yourself. Its obvious Lexus has made a better BMW and BMW a better Lexus. Both marques are awesome. The GS may have won a battle but clearly BMW wins the war.
Yup well said indeed.

You cannot go wrong with either brand =)

Originally Posted by bagwell
LMAO ---- no thanks --- I just built my M5 Total MSRP as Built $111,395
Haha

For me though, since these are premium performance vehicles, the sky's the limit when it comes to pricing. I can spend as much as 200k or 300k or 400k in American dollars (taxes and currency exchange rates not yet into account) on any premium vehicle.

I'm willing to spend as much money as long as I get the best out of my premium vehicles.

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Agreed....minus the lame M badges.
Haha I see what you mean

And I know there's some debate and controversy on whether a diesel engine vehicle is worthy of bearing an 'M' badge.

Still, apparently, this is the closest thing that we can have for an 'M' station wagon (since BMW doesn't not make M5 station wagons anymore).

Oh and my goodness, the estate body style of the 5 series does look quite stunning if I say so myself =)
Old 04-02-13, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

And I know there's some debate and controversy on whether a diesel engine vehicle is worthy of bearing an 'M' badge.
Well, if, as an "M" driver, one is used to high-RPMs and winding it out in the lower gears, then obviously, a diesel powerplant, with its inherently low red-line, would be unsuitable. But, on the other hand, speed and acceleration is part of the game with an M. And torque (which is exactly what diesel engines give you at low RPMs) is what primarily determines acceleration.
Old 04-03-13, 08:42 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, if, as an "M" driver, one is used to high-RPMs and winding it out in the lower gears, then obviously, a diesel powerplant, with its inherently low red-line, would be unsuitable. But, on the other hand, speed and acceleration is part of the game with an M. And torque (which is exactly what diesel engines give you at low RPMs) is what primarily determines acceleration.
Yup, you indeed raised a completely valid point on that, Mike =)

With that said, it will be interesting if whether perceptions on this will change or not.

On a related note, I don't think BMW makes station wagon versions of the 550i (i.e. afaik, BMW only does it for the Gran Turismo version.......................which looks ugly as hell )

Hence
Because of that, then the next fastest variant or version that can be had with the F11 Touring wagon bodystyle is the M550d XDRIVE.

Old 04-03-13, 09:07 AM
LexFather

If yall are interested here are some underbody pics of the GS I am taking...finally getting it dropped

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...reasonz-3.html

Old 04-03-13, 09:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

On a related note, I don't think BMW makes station wagon versions of the 550i (i.e. afaik, BMW only does it for the Gran Turismo version.......................which looks ugly as hell )

Hence
Because of that, then the next fastest variant or version that can be had with the F11 Touring wagon bodystyle is the M550d XDRIVE.

You've got that backwards. The M550d is substantially faster than the 550i. It's down only 19hp vs. the 550i, but has an extra hundred pound feet of torque that more than makes up for it.

There was actually debate over whether the M550d was just going to be the next M5 (or the basis for it)--that's what level of performance we're talking about.
Old 04-03-13, 11:00 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I could give a flying f*** which car outperforms who. Not buying either of them.

Well aware of what forum it is, but thanks for the tip.

Please don't spout off about Lexus performance to me. You forget that I was one of the first people in Alberta to actually get into an IS F way back in '08.

Butthurt...lol. Fanboys can exit stage left, thanks.
If you really didn't care, you wouldn't even be posting in this thread. Yet, you not only posted here with a butthurt comment, now you're going off with personal comments. So clearly you do care, regardless of what you say. Your actions show your true feelings on the matter.

I'm well aware you owned an IS F, thanks. That however does not suddenly add credibility to your silly initial comment in the thread.