Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 S-Class caught undisguised.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 10:00 AM
LexFather

I like this much better in photos compared to the current model when it debuted. Took me years to get used to those wheel arches. This seems really nice so far.

The interior seems amazing to be in, even if I think its busy. I like the Benz ambient lighting as in Lexus, neither has been an issue to me and when you drive another luxury car without it you wonder where it has been your whole life.

Great job Mercedes

Old 03-19-13, 10:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

what i find interesting is when driving at night, the navigation screen is always dominating in terms of brightness, so i really don't understand how these ambient lights can bother passengers. not to mention the way it's done, these ambient lights actually shoot downward (and have a lip up top) so it doesn't glare anyone. of course, as mentioned, this is on top of all the brightness controls too. lexus has also gone from nothing to now a lot more ambient lighting in their models, that's for a good reason and people are loving it.

some blame others for talking about foglights, look what we have here
Old 03-19-13, 10:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
No that just tell us that you just made a statement without verifying rather or not the lights can be dim. The lights can be dim almost everywhere in the current S class while driving so that hold statement about too much lighting while sleeping or whatever is flaw. This car is going to set the luxo barge standards as usual.

The Benz S class doesn't flollow others, others follow it at a cheaper price. I doubt this car is going to be more reliable than the previous model. Benz almost always goes the extra mile at offering new features.
i am really interested to see what features mb put on this, in some way i didn't feel they put that many new features in the w221, but this time seems like they go much further, especially with no maybach around
Old 03-19-13, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The interior seems amazing to be in, even if I think its busy. I like the Benz ambient lighting as in Lexus, neither has been an issue to me and when you drive another luxury car without it you wonder where it has been your whole life.

Great job Mercedes
Have you had a chance to drive a recent (or new) S-Class, Mike? I know you and I talk a lot about chassis-dynamics and ride-quality. I haven't sampled an S-Class for some time, but the last E-class (and E63 AMG) I sampled were both standouts in the suspension-engineering department. According to Consumer Reports, they consider the S550 the most comfortable-riding car they've tested.
Old 03-19-13, 10:22 AM
DesmoSD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that's some sweet interior! The exterior doesn't look that much different from the previous S Class.
Old 03-19-13, 01:06 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

No that just tell us that you just made a statement without verifying rather or not the lights can be dim. The lights can be dim almost everywhere in the current S class while driving so that hold statement about too much lighting while sleeping or whatever is flaw.
Pretty quick to attack. My family members have a 2013 X3. The ambient lights can be dimmed. Before you accuse me of not verifying my info, hear me out. I am a frequent passenger in the car. I sit in the rear seats. When I lay my head on the windows to go to sleep, the lights bother me.

May not bother you, but at the same time you might have different hair color than I do.
what i find interesting is when driving at night, the navigation screen is always dominating in terms of brightness, so i really don't understand how these ambient lights can bother passengers.
Very true about the brightness of the display screen. For that reason, it is not always on at night in our car.

Last edited by trexlexus; 03-19-13 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-19-13, 02:01 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Yes, but I reckon it is difficult to turn off certain lights. To me, there are too many lights in the German cars. You may or may not remember, but when you try to sleep at night in the passenger seats, it is difficult to close your eyes and drift off with an abundance of lights, no matter how dim. Maybe you can sleep with the little light orbs, but i definately have problems. And seeing as this class of chauffer vehicles are not supposed to be for driver comfort, therein lies the "problem".

But the reason for our disagreement was "different strokes for different folks". If you like car x over car y and i have it the other way around, no biggie.
Assuming its similar to the W221, all you would have to do is go into the vehicle settings menu, select lighting, then turn the ambient lighting to off or as dim as you want it. I would hardly consider that difficult.
Old 03-19-13, 02:05 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

You are right. Turning off or dimming all the lights is not difficult.

That is not what i was writing about in that specific post. I was talking about turning off CERTAIN lights.

Say you want only the lights on the passenger side to be on. Is it possible to do that with a stock S class? I have no idea, but i do not think so.
Old 03-19-13, 02:30 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
You are right. Turning off or dimming all the lights is not difficult.

That is not what i was writing about in that specific post. I was talking about turning off CERTAIN lights.

Say you want only the lights on the passenger side to be on. Is it possible to do that with a stock S class? I have no idea, but i do not think so.
Oh, I see now.

I can imagine having the lights on or off in only one zone of the car would look strange anyways, ha. I can believe Mercedes is going for a spa theme here, which is why ambient lighting is emphasized strongly.
Old 03-19-13, 02:35 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Ya that is what i was trying to get at. Airplane style lighting.

I dont know if you have kids, but if you ask them their opinion on lights in the car, while at night, and they are trying to sleep.

For me, it is incredibly distracting, as I always stare at them instead of dozing. Hasn't been too long since I used to sleep in the back of mama's car, and always whined about telling her to turn off her display screen/dim the dials. Lol
Old 03-19-13, 03:22 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Mercedes Benz is making it very hard for me not to like them. Im already considering the GL hybrid as a business vehicle.
Old 03-19-13, 03:55 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Me likey I wonder what the coupe will look like.
Old 03-19-13, 05:05 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Mercedes Benz is making it very hard for me not to like them. Im already considering the GL hybrid as a business vehicle.
Are they planning on creating a hybrid GL?
Old 03-19-13, 05:23 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best of the bunch!
Old 03-20-13, 06:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

trexlexus - please use the quote feature to indicate WHO you're quoting. thank you.