Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 S-Class caught undisguised.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 07:00 PM
dknn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I have to say... M.B did a nice job on the S-class. I guess after killing off the Maybach, they decided to make the S-class more refined.

Now if only, the back of the LS could be like that.

It is interesting to see Burmester in M.B now. Seeing they first were in the Bugatti, after a few Porsches (doesn't seem like they have that option anymore).
Burmester is available in the Cayenne and Panamera.
Old 03-18-13, 07:51 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
S-Class looks amazing, great job MB

Looks modern, classy, sporty, great presence - all in one package.

Interior looks of great quality.

If MB continues to be reliable like the current generation model - it will have no weaknesses.

Bwahahaha, to those saying Lexus will look for things to copy in the new S-class.... It seems Mercedes has beaten them to the punch. The cross stitching of the LF-LC leather center console now seen in the in the S-class dashboard. Well, actually they are a little different. The LF-LC one is more organic and flowing while the S-class is more regular.

This is what I expect the next LS and production LF-LC to look like:

Old 03-18-13, 07:55 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

May I add that I was just looking at the interior of the old S-class and they have really went the extra mile to improve it. The old one now looks 20 years old.
Old 03-18-13, 08:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Love the interior, just simply gorgeous. Too bad that smily steering wheel made it into production.

I can hear Lexus scrambling hard trying to copy that interior/exterior styling all the way in Japan now. Hopefully they skip the smily steering wheel
I can see Lexus trolls coming out of the woodwork in droves now .
Old 03-18-13, 10:30 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

This is way more car than the LS. For way more money too. As to the interior lighting, I don't see how one strip under the dash wood can take the cake over all the lighting in the S Class...
Different strokes for different folks. In recent BMWs and MBs the lighting inside is very overbearing. In the daylight, it is not very noticeable. However at night, it is as if you are sitting on the sun itself. There is light everywhere.

In Lexus the light is not overbearing. Subtle is the keyword here. Subtleness creates a relaxing environment. Being bathed in light is a little "stressful".
I'm also puzzled why some here are praising the gimmicky interior lighting. For me, the lighting is too much. The car interior doesn't need to look like a neon light show, or LED Christmas tree.
If I am reading that right, I am not alone in my light opinions.
Old 03-18-13, 10:32 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I must say the car looks great, the interior is much improved from the current which isn't bad but just doesn't seem special like this one, I can see Mercedes selling tons of these the interior looks great! I can see a S550 equivalent easily reaching $135k
Old 03-18-13, 10:41 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Different strokes for different folks. In recent BMWs and MBs the lighting inside is very overbearing. In the daylight, it is not very noticeable. However at night, it is as if you are sitting on the sun itself. There is light everywhere.

In Lexus the light is not overbearing. Subtle is the keyword here. Subtleness creates a relaxing environment. Being bathed in light is a little "stressful".

Glad to see I'm not the only one. The 2013 LS lighting is excellent exactly because it is subtle, and not overbearing. It exudes a very classy and elegant luxury.

At the end of the day though, it will sell just because it's an S Class, overbearing lighting and all.
Old 03-18-13, 11:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Not too sure about the exterior styling, not much of a departure from the current car(which I think has worn well, even 4-5 years later it still looks sexy to me). Some of the details look a little fussy, I'd have to see one in person to really pass judgement on it.

The interior looks completely over the top like a Bentley or Roller. LOVE IT!!!!!
Old 03-19-13, 05:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Have you driven an MB with this light at night?

The lights are brighter in these photos obviously, and brighter in park than in drive and under speed. The lights are very dim, muted and subtle, just like the ambient lighting in my GS, which is more extensive than that in the LS.

The lighting isn't even on in the daylight, only with the headlights.
Old 03-19-13, 06:08 AM
venom21
Instructor

Looks stunning. The king of Luxury-barges as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-19-13, 08:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Glad to see I'm not the only one. The 2013 LS lighting is excellent exactly because it is subtle, and not overbearing. It exudes a very classy and elegant luxury.

At the end of the day though, it will sell just because it's an S Class, overbearing lighting and all.

I hope you guys realize the lights can be dimmed, since they're so overbearing. I definitely don't share your experiences regardless.
Old 03-19-13, 08:33 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

I hope you guys realize the lights can be dimmed, since they're so overbearing. I definitely don't share your experiences regardless.
Yes, but I reckon it is difficult to turn off certain lights. To me, there are too many lights in the German cars. You may or may not remember, but when you try to sleep at night in the passenger seats, it is difficult to close your eyes and drift off with an abundance of lights, no matter how dim. Maybe you can sleep with the little light orbs, but i definately have problems. And seeing as this class of chauffer vehicles are not supposed to be for driver comfort, therein lies the "problem".

But the reason for our disagreement was "different strokes for different folks". If you like car x over car y and i have it the other way around, no biggie.
Old 03-19-13, 08:55 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No that just tell us that you just made a statement without verifying rather or not the lights can be dim. The lights can be dim almost everywhere in the current S class while driving so that hold statement about too much lighting while sleeping or whatever is flaw. This car is going to set the luxo barge standards as usual.

The Benz S class doesn't flollow others, others follow it at a cheaper price. I doubt this car is going to be more reliable than the previous model. Benz almost always goes the extra mile at offering new features.
Old 03-19-13, 09:45 AM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow baller approved
Old 03-19-13, 09:53 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S-class is indeed the benchmark standard in this vehicle segment (F-segment premium flagship).

With that said, I can't wait for the S65 AMG V12 BITURBO