Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 3 Series M Sport versus 2014 Lexus IS F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 08:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
You're saying GS owners aren't enthusiasts as IS owners?
not at all. It's a different demographic aimed at a older crowd than the IS. Doesn't mean different ages can't appreciate these cars.

The reason for entry level cars is to get people hooked and stay with the brand throughout their life. Use BMW models for example (obviously can be applied to most makes).

High school student with his beater 318i passed on through his family takes it to college and graduates. Get's a good job and wants to get something nice. He buys a 3 Series. It's great, sporty, has nice luxury amenities and suits his needs all through his mid 20's to early 30's. He gets married and starts a family. The 3 Series is now too small so he logically goes with a 5 Series. It's bigger and suits his family better as well as his image as a business man. Years go by, there are two more kids and now an X5 in the driveway for his wife. He's in his mid to late 40's now and suddenly a mid life crisis hits. He's stressed at work which is going through a reorg, he needs to save for the kid's college funds, and his wife pulled a Jane Jetson and took his wallet to the mall rather than the couple hundred he was going to hand her. Enter Z4. A fun sporty roadster that makes him feel young and gets him noticed. A few years down the road, he's starting to send the kids to college and he's recently been taking Centrum Silver for his aching body. Suddenly that fun sporty ride is really jarring. His wife won't even ride in that "damn red speed thing". So he goes to the dealership and finds a nice 7-Series which is comfortable and luxurious and just what he needs in his golden years!
Old 01-12-13, 10:43 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
not at all. It's a different demographic aimed at a older crowd than the IS. Doesn't mean different ages can't appreciate these cars.

The reason for entry level cars is to get people hooked and stay with the brand throughout their life. Use BMW models for example (obviously can be applied to most makes).

High school student with his beater 318i passed on through his family takes it to college and graduates. Get's a good job and wants to get something nice. He buys a 3 Series. It's great, sporty, has nice luxury amenities and suits his needs all through his mid 20's to early 30's. He gets married and starts a family. The 3 Series is now too small so he logically goes with a 5 Series. It's bigger and suits his family better as well as his image as a business man. Years go by, there are two more kids and now an X5 in the driveway for his wife. He's in his mid to late 40's now and suddenly a mid life crisis hits. He's stressed at work which is going through a reorg, he needs to save for the kid's college funds, and his wife pulled a Jane Jetson and took his wallet to the mall rather than the couple hundred he was going to hand her. Enter Z4. A fun sporty roadster that makes him feel young and gets him noticed. A few years down the road, he's starting to send the kids to college and he's recently been taking Centrum Silver for his aching body. Suddenly that fun sporty ride is really jarring. His wife won't even ride in that "damn red speed thing". So he goes to the dealership and finds a nice 7-Series which is comfortable and luxurious and just what he needs in his golden years!

hAHA. Hitting my mid-life crisis early!
Old 01-13-13, 12:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
they did? i didnt notice ;-).
Maybe on paper, but i rate them about the same... 3GS wasnt in your face enough, sure when you knew the story behind the cluster, with dimming and brushed metal behind it, it was cool, but if you didnt, you probably wouldnt notice it that much.

IS is for younger drivers, GS is for more mature... i think why they did it is pretty obvious here.
2gs has the back light illuminated cluster, what does 1is have?

3gs has brushed metal back plate cluster, 2is has a cluster setup that's relatively generic in terms of lighting technology.

if you still refuse to admit 2gs and 3gs have a more different cluster setup, hey i guess you love your 2is that much.

no one would deny which car is for younger group, and i don't deny the coolness of having the cluster in the 3is fsport. all i was pointing out is your point (and Hoovey's) doesn't apply to the previous 2 generations
Old 01-13-13, 03:14 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

F***!

My mid-life crisis was so early and so bad that I hit it at 33 and went for the 3er convertible. Thanks for reminding me.

And the X5 is my wife's!
Old 01-13-13, 04:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
2gs has the back light illuminated cluster, what does 1is have?

3gs has brushed metal back plate cluster, 2is has a cluster setup that's relatively generic in terms of lighting technology.

if you still refuse to admit 2gs and 3gs have a more different cluster setup, hey i guess you love your 2is that much.

no one would deny which car is for younger group, and i don't deny the coolness of having the cluster in the 3is fsport. all i was pointing out is your point (and Hoovey's) doesn't apply to the previous 2 generations
i had 3GS and 2IS - I dont see 3GS as having cooler setup.... maybe more expensive, but nothing like this new 3IS.

I think I explained it well, 3GS had cool setup on paper but in real life, it isnt something that was standing out.
Old 01-13-13, 07:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
F***!

My mid-life crisis was so early and so bad that I hit it at 33 and went for the 3er convertible. Thanks for reminding me.

And the X5 is my wife's!
lol.................

Old 01-13-13, 07:44 AM
Machog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting if you read through the posts just how biased those BMW guys are. JUST like us lot when a BMW thread comes up;-)

One did raise an excellent point-how's the new design going to look with a front license plate? Here in AZ and a few other states, we don't have one.

US front plates aren't too bad, but some of those Euro plates are large, going to throw the whole front end look off track?

Machog
Old 01-13-13, 04:56 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Machog
Interesting if you read through the posts just how biased those BMW guys are. JUST like us lot when a BMW thread comes up;-)

One did raise an excellent point-how's the new design going to look with a front license plate? Here in AZ and a few other states, we don't have one.

US front plates aren't too bad, but some of those Euro plates are large, going to throw the whole front end look off track?

Machog
I actually don't like the BMW brand, mainly because their interior absolutely doesn't suit me and my preferences but when they come out with a great design, I'll praise it.

These new Lexus spindle grills will be sort of ruined with front license plates, I hope enthusiasts will take the risk and leave them off