RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

F Sport vs F

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-19, 09:50 AM
Dribble
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts
Default F Sport vs F

I was discussing this with a friend of mine and wanted to know the group's thoughts.

I personally think Lexus should not have gone with the F Sport for lesser vehicle packages. To truly differentiate the F as being the performance division of Lexus, they should not use the F unless it is a true F car. I see non Lexus enthusiasts get confused with F Sport and F.

F should be the true sport models. The F sport should be GT or just Sport. Thoughts? Does this bug you guys? It waters down the F to me.......

Last edited by Dribble; 05-30-19 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-30-19, 01:01 PM
RCF4DAD
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

It does to a degree, but Lexus' Branding for Heritage and to stay consistent with it's competitors, BMW, Merc, Audi separates True Performance with just using just 1 letter. F Sports is just an appearance package. F Sport is no different than the M3 "sports APPEARANCE package', but a true performance BMW is called just "M'', as in M4, M3 as opposed to 3 series/4 Series, X3 etc with a M Appearance Pkg., Audi is S Line vs S only, Merc AMG before model is Performance, after model name is Appearance only....
The Europeans are consistent and people get it, true performance guys know the difference between F Sport and F, just that the number of F's in the world is dramatically smaller than the European competitors. The German always put the Letter ahead of the #'s to signify Performance and the Japanese put the Performance letter 'after' the series name....if following the Germans, we would all be driving F-RC (which really would suck).

Last edited by RCF4DAD; 05-30-19 at 01:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dribble (05-30-19)
Old 05-30-19, 01:27 PM
Dribble
Driver

Originally Posted by RCF4DAD
It does to a degree, but Lexus' Branding for Heritage and to stay consistent with it's competitors, BMW, Merc, Audi separates True Performance with just using just 1 letter. F Sports is just an appearance package. F Sport is no different than the M3 "sports APPEARANCE package', but a true performance BMW is called just "M'', as in M4, M3 as opposed to 3 series/4 Series, X3 etc with a M Appearance Pkg., Audi is S Line vs S only, Merc AMG before model is Performance, after model name is Appearance only....
The Europeans are consistent and people get it, true performance guys know the difference between F Sport and F, just that the number of F's in the world is dramatically smaller than the European competitors. The German always put the Letter ahead of the #'s to signify Performance and the Japanese put the Performance letter 'after' the series name....if following the Germans, we would all be driving F-RC (which really would suck).
You are right - it just bugs me a bit. I laughed because when some people I know saw the picture of the RCF, they said yeah my dad has that car. I responded with "Oh, that’s awesome"......the problem is many people see the F and assume they are all the same. The girl's dad didn't have an RCF - he had an F Sport.

Last edited by Dribble; 05-30-19 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-30-19, 01:48 PM
RCF4DAD
Driver

even the RC guys mistake for 1 of their own. But, having a sleeper has it's advantages, element of surprise, no police etc. Where are you in Ontario? I'm from Ottawa, but in Calgary now.
Old 05-30-19, 01:51 PM
Dribble
Driver

Originally Posted by RCF4DAD
even the RC guys mistake for 1 of their own. But, having a sleeper has it's advantages, element of surprise, no police etc. Where are you in Ontario? I'm from Ottawa, but in Calgary now.

For sure and the quad exhaust will give it away. I live in a town called Leamington right near the most southern tip of Canada (35 minutes from Windsor).
Old 05-30-19, 02:07 PM
RCF4DAD
Driver

Been there often, Beautiful part of Ontario.
Dribble (05-30-19)
Old 05-30-19, 02:32 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I hear what you're saying, but disagree. For one, I actually applaud Lexus for trying, even if adding the F-Sport package to a "regular" Lexus doesn't actually improve performance. At least they are offering a sportier looking model to capture a different buying demographic. Lexus seems to have stepped well away from the stodgy old-man car image and they're actually producing more performance cars and performance oriented cars than several other brands. Honda appears to have just given up, save their Type-R.

Secondly, like someone else already mentioned, I don't think the M-performance package or S-line take away from the actual M cars that BMW has or the S and RS models that Audi has. True enthusiasts know the difference, and I like that the RC F is kind of a sleeper to the non-enthusiast.

I am going to debadge the RC before the F on my car though. I want people to wonder what it is.
Old 05-30-19, 02:52 PM
Dribble
Driver

Originally Posted by vbb
I hear what you're saying, but disagree. For one, I actually applaud Lexus for trying, even if adding the F-Sport package to a "regular" Lexus doesn't actually improve performance. At least they are offering a sportier looking model to capture a different buying demographic. Lexus seems to have stepped well away from the stodgy old-man car image and they're actually producing more performance cars and performance oriented cars than several other brands. Honda appears to have just given up, save their Type-R.

Secondly, like someone else already mentioned, I don't think the M-performance package or S-line take away from the actual M cars that BMW has or the S and RS models that Audi has. True enthusiasts know the difference, and I like that the RC F is kind of a sleeper to the non-enthusiast.

I am going to debadge the RC before the F on my car though. I want people to wonder what it is.

I have no issue with sportier versions, I like that there are not just bland base models. Just call it something else and save the F for IMO a true F car.

Good points though.
Old 06-03-19, 11:23 AM
Blze001
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it really matter, thought? I fail to see how someone putting an F badge on his RC200t negatively impacts my enjoyment of my RC-F.
The following 4 users liked this post by Blze001:
Arfboy (02-04-22), jonmonkey (06-04-19), msgs350 (06-03-19), RCF4DAD (06-03-19)
Old 06-03-19, 11:51 AM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a '92 Camry LE back in the day and i glued V6 XLE on it, had everyone fooled
vraa (06-07-19)
Old 06-05-19, 12:22 PM
jafsport
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

im not too bothered by it.
If you take a look at the RC F next to the RC350, you’ll come to find that almost every single body panel is different. The only exception is the doors. However, the hood, front bumper, grille, rear bumper, roof, front fenders, wheels, brake calipers, spoiler, exhaust, some interior parts and most importantly the engine are all unique to the RC F.

Ive owned both USB RC350 and now a USB RCF and differences are night and day for the driver and honestly its all that matters.
jonmonkey (06-06-19)
Old 06-06-19, 03:12 PM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dribble
I was discussing this with a friend of mine and wanted to know the group's thoughts.

I personally think Lexus should not have gone with the F Sport for lesser vehicle packages. To truly differentiate the F as being the performance division of Lexus, they should not use the F unless it is a true F car. I see non Lexus enthusiasts get confused with F Sport and F.

F should be the true sport models. The F sport should be GT or just Sport. Thoughts? Does this bug you guys? It waters down the F to me.......
I do think it causes some confusion, which is why I feel like it was a bit of a mis-step for Lexus. Ultimately though, I know the difference between my car and any F-Sport model, and it has literally zero impact on how much I enjoy my RC-F.
Old 06-07-19, 06:56 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Definitely bothers me that regular RC-F owners even exist, it should only be reserved for the track edition owners....

at least you guys have a v8 too
Old 06-11-19, 10:24 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
Definitely bothers me that regular RC-F owners even exist, it should only be reserved for the track edition owners....

at least you guys have a v8 too
You trust your dealership enough to let them pick up and deliver your car? Had enough fast sport cars, (and some expensive), in the past where the odometer went up 20 miles or more just for an dealership oil change. And I still check my oil fill, since for 1/2 of my RCF oil changes, they have been dealership overfilled by a wide margin.
Old 06-11-19, 10:58 AM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dribble
You are right - it just bugs me a bit. I laughed because when some people I know saw the picture of the RCF, they said yeah my dad has that car. I responded with "Oh, that’s awesome"......the problem is many people see the F and assume they are all the same. The girl's dad didn't have an RCF - he had an F Sport.
I had the same thing happen with a friend of mine this past Friday. He saw my car on my monitor background and said, "I had this car last year...I just sold it and bought an accord." I said, you had an "F" and he said yeah. So his commute was similar to mine so I said- but the gas mileage sucked, huh? He goes, nah...it gave me like 25 or so miles to the gallon...I said, oh, you mean you had an F-Sport? He said, it's the same thing, right? -_- Believe it or not, this is common. He really didn't know the difference until we went for a ride up the block real quick....and I mean, REAL QUICK lol.

Regardless tho, I love driving mine and could care less what others think. I get satisfaction frm whippin up on all the fools in their M this and AMG that...but not as much as I do when I run a charger Scat what? SRT who?
Dribble (06-12-19)

Quick Reply: F Sport vs F