Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does anyone here own a Range Rover Sport or considered it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 08:30 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Does anyone here own a Range Rover Sport or considered it?

I am curious to see what people think of the Range Rover Sport. I personally think it is a magnificently beautiful sport utility vehicle. However, buying it seems to be a whole different story. The reliability ratings on Land Rovers is terrible according to consumer reports. The wost brand reliability BY FAR. Whats up with their reliability?

Also, hows the depreciation on these vehicles? I know luxury vehicles dive hugely in price when they are driven off the showroom floor but how does the Range Rover compare to Lexus and other sport utility vehicles? Can I pick up a used one in a couple years for a bargain or will the RR Sports hold their values like BMWs do?
Old 02-17-07, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

=Nauticalx;2430556]However, buying it seems to be a whole different story. The reliability ratings on Land Rovers is terrible according to consumer reports. The wost brand reliability BY FAR. Whats up with their reliability?
Land Rover, for the most part, and depending on specific, model, is pretty much tied with Mercedes as the worst overall nameplate for reliablity. However, the worst specific vehicle is probably the Infiniti QX56.

Also, hows the depreciation on these vehicles? I know luxury vehicles dive hugely in price when they are driven off the showroom floor but how does the Range Rover compare to Lexus and other sport utility vehicles? Can I pick up a used one in a couple years for a bargain or will the RR Sports hold their values like BMWs do?
I don't want to sound biased here, being that this a Lexus forum, even though this specific site is for general car chat, but I honestly believe, based on many things, that you would be better off in the long run with a Lexus SUV than with either a Land Rover or BMW SUV. Land Rover products and the BMW X3/X5 have all been far below average in reliability. BMW SUV's, in the American market, have traditionally been lower-depreciating then Land Rovers, but, IMO, that does not cancel out the headaches of owing them.....and while not all BMW dealerships act this way, many of them tend to be snobbish, aristocratic, and quite highly-priced in parts and service when the service is not free. Both the X3 and X5 have received a number of owner complaints, too, for the harshness of their on-pavement rides.....BMW has softened the suspensions a little in the latest models.
Granted, the Land Rovers and Range Rovers are quite attractive in some areas. They have comfortable, plush, interiors, richly done in the British tradition, ride and handle on-pavement very well for an off-road-capable machine, and of course, their off-road capabilities in the Third World are legendary. But their electronics, at times, can be a nightmare, and they suffer a lot of little but annoying things like fluid leaks, loose trim parts, and defective hardware.
For what a Range Rover costs, the Lexus LX470, IMO, would be a far better choice. It blows the Range Rover away in reliability, has an interior that is just as plush in some areas, rides and handles well on pavement, and is almost ( but not quite ) the equal of the Range Rover off-road. In addition, the LX470 is likely, in the American market, to depreciate less as well.

Now, of course, part of this is assuming you actually GO off-road in the first place. With the exception of those with Jeep Wranglers, most SUV owners actually DON'T....the average is only about 5% or so.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-07 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-17-07, 10:31 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I love them. If I was in the market for an SUV it would be on my list. That being said about reliability, a friend of mine has a Freelander that has been on twice annual visits to the dealer for work for years. Not great, but friends I know with Range Rovers have never had a problem. One is an 04 and the other is a late 90s. As long as its under warranty I would have no hesitation buying one.
Old 02-17-07, 10:52 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Problem is that IMO, the LX470 has nothing as far as the looks when compared to a Range Rover. The LX470 might be reliable but it has an antiquated design in production for numerous years. Given the RR Sport is so new (debuted in 2006) I wonder if it has already begun to follow Land Rover's reliability or proven to be more reliable than its sister vehicles. I checked on a Land Rover forum and theres mention of random warning lights that come on in the instrument cluster. Maybe that was the electronic problems you were mentioning?
Old 02-17-07, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
I checked on a Land Rover forum and theres mention of random warning lights that come on in the instrument cluster. Maybe that was the electronic problems you were mentioning?
That's part of it. Other problems are computer-related or with things like power windows, door locks, etc.....

Still, modern Land Rovers, even low-rated for reliability, have much better electronics than the notorious Lucas systems used years ago. They were a joke if ever there was one.
Old 02-17-07, 11:59 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And what about after the warranty is up?

Yes the LX has been in production for a while. How about the original range rover? They've been making that car for 30+ years and still can't get it right?
Old 02-17-07, 12:03 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the new lx570 coming up, I would just wait a little while...
Old 02-17-07, 12:23 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

When is the GX getting a makeover? As far as warranty, if I were to buy the RR Sport I would buy used (which is why I am particular interested in whether or not they drop in value steeply) and what I could do there is simply use the remainder of the factory warranty on a used one and purchase an extended warranty from Land Rover with the money I saved not buying new.
Old 02-17-07, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

When is the GX getting a makeover? As far as warranty, if I were to buy the RR Sport I would buy used (which is why I am particular interested in whether or not they drop in value steeply) and what I could do there is simply use the remainder of the factory warranty on a used one and purchase an extended warranty from Land Rover with the money I saved not buying new.
Here are a couple of web sites that may help you...Kelly Blue Book and NADA.
They can give you a pretty good idea of what used ones are worth...and how much their values drop.

http://www.kbb.com/

http://www.nadaguides.com/home.aspx?l=1&w=28&p=0&f=5000

Copy and paste these and save them in your "favorites" list. I use them quite often in helping others shop for new cars and getting trade-ins for their old ones. The two organizations don't agree completely on used-car values but are generally in the same ballpark.

The main difference between the two is that KB generally gives three figures for a specific vehicle in a specific condition....trade-in, private party, and retail. NADA generally just gives one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-07 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-17-07, 12:53 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know about the sport, but my co-worker has an 05 Range Rover HSE, and he constantly has to take it in for warranty repair. I love the Rage Rover Sport though.. I see so many in NYC and i just love the stance and the power. Shoot, I would get it and roll the dice
Old 02-17-07, 01:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I love the Rage Rover Sport though.. I see so many in NYC and i just love the stance and the power. Shoot, I would get it and roll the dice
It's not surprising that you see them in NYC. The condition of the streets there, like in D.C. and the Snow Belt states, pretty much dictates an off-road capable vehicle.
Old 02-17-07, 08:05 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I am curious to see what people think of the Range Rover Sport. I personally think it is a magnificently beautiful sport utility vehicle. However, buying it seems to be a whole different story. The reliability ratings on Land Rovers is terrible according to consumer reports. The wost brand reliability BY FAR. Whats up with their reliability?

I have a buddy in the business and he does alot of Range Rovers, its funny you ask this because the other day he was telling me that he has not seen the sport in such a long time he forgot what it looks like!! lol (its been in the shop that much).

I like the regular range (the bigger one) and he was basically telling me that they are great cars, excellent luxury appointments, good power, TERRIBLE reliability. I would tend to trust his judgement because he works with them on a day to day basis. (I've done wheels for a few and lowering modules, but we do way more MB, BMW, Lexus than Range)

I hope this helps somewhat.
Old 02-17-07, 08:11 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

yeah i would stay far away from them
if u are looking for a big hunky power crazy SUV, maybe try Cayenne Turbo or S?

or the Audi Q7 V12 TDI?
Old 02-17-07, 08:26 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UberNoob
yeah i would stay far away from them
if u are looking for a big hunky power crazy SUV, maybe try Cayenne Turbo or S?

or the Audi Q7 V12 TDI?
We just got a Cayenne Turbo S Project in 2 weeks ago. My guy that picked it up is pretty happy with it so far. Mods coming soon!
Old 02-18-07, 12:22 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove the Range Rover Sport a few months ago. One thing I remember the most from that test drive was the driverside door handle was a different color from the other 3 doors. Yes, I was told it was a factory error. That pretty much sums up its reliability.

Last edited by BrickHead; 02-18-07 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Does anyone here own a Range Rover Sport or considered it?