Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Conversion to dark side complete - 2013 BMW 535i

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-12, 08:23 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion to dark side complete - 2013 BMW 535i

Well it seems that my recent itch for a new car to replace my "ole betsy (Camry Commuter car) landed me on a BMW 535i

It all started with the Benz GL last yr for the wife and now after weeks of soul searching, tough decision making and flip-flopping, my heart/mind set on the 5.

Yes, i checked out the 4GS. Great car and congrats to the CL members who have it but IMHO I was never able to get over the FRONT part of the car. Interior, engine, tech was 1st class but the shape never grew on me. The 5 did as more and more i saw it. I found it to be proportioned, beefy and had a street presence. Yes, I have heard controversy about its rear but I love it. Its "impactful" with LED lights.

Anyways, I got the M SPORT (very M'd out including the breathtaking steering wheel and body kit, 19" M wheels), Premium, NAV (Traffic+SAT, btw iDrive rocks) and Driver assistance pkg with cameras all over the place just to name a few options. Love this car's stance.

The turbo 306 HP engine with various modes and paddle shifters is awesome. I grin when i switch to sports++ and with paddle shifts, impressive shifting speeds.

The color? I have never been impressed with a color of a car especially after deciding to NEVER buy a dark color (bought a Grey GS, grey Camry and White BENZ after a BLK GS).

Its called Carbon Black metallic and it is amazing. Darkish, blueish, blackish and just nice.

I may come back to the LEX world after a comparable vehicle intices me but for now, I'll stick with the ultimate driving machine.

I just got it and will post pix later but here's is one from this morning. (the pix don't do it justice)

Last edited by NYlexus; 12-11-12 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 08:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Congrats. 5-Series is a nice car. Heavy, but nice
Old 12-11-12, 08:33 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Congrats. 5-Series is a nice car. Heavy, but nice
Agreed on the heavy part. But oddly, I liked that part compared to other cars I drove. Not sure if its age or something but I just liked it presence on the road. And when I want it to go fast and on turns, this car (i know, NOT A M5) works just so right.
Old 12-11-12, 09:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Ugh the F10 is beautiful. Surprised you didn't hold out for the facelift coming next-year. Enjoy the ride!
Old 12-11-12, 09:09 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Ugh the F10 is beautiful. Surprised you didn't hold out for the facelift coming next-year. Enjoy the ride!
Thx...totally knew about the facelift. *cough* should be fine since this car is going back in 3 yrs.
Old 12-11-12, 09:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

very nice! congrats. if only lexus knew how to do wheel fitment on the gs.
Old 12-11-12, 09:20 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Very nice, these things drive really well, they are gigantic compared to the old ones, i didn't realize it until i had one for a week. The last time i truly loved a 5 series was the 2003 model, those were great looking cars.
Old 12-11-12, 09:31 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats enjoy it well, I think it's a fantastic car. Your going to love it.
Old 12-11-12, 10:01 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NYlexus
Thx...totally knew about the facelift. *cough* should be fine since this car is going back in 3 yrs.
BMW under a lease, that's heaven right there. I really do like the way the f10 looks compared to the last gen
Old 12-11-12, 10:23 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by edgeucated
BMW under a lease, that's heaven right there. I really do like the way the f10 looks compared to the last gen
First actual leased car. Needed to try it after buying cars all the time including the GL last year.
I see the pros and cons and best pro is open options later. Also even option of keeping this if hard to let go, If this hard crush and love sticks until then.
Old 12-11-12, 11:09 PM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new Bimmer! The new 5 Series is definitely a great car, very good looking too! Can't wait to see more pictures of it!
Old 12-11-12, 11:19 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the new car! It looks gorgeous. I'm sure it drives like a beauty too Enjoy it!
Old 12-11-12, 11:24 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Beautiful looking car. I wouldn't hesitate getting one if I were in the market for a mid-size luxury car.
Old 12-11-12, 11:26 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Also I wouldn't really call it the "dark side"

CL's car chat is unique in that a lot of people here have a wide variety of cars from non-Lexus brands (BMW, Mercedes, Buick, Hyundai, Acura, etc.) it's not just Lexus.

Brand loyalty never really meant anything to me, personally. I always keep all options on the table at all times, and I go with the one that feels right.

You made the right choice.
Old 12-12-12, 04:04 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats! M-Sport is totally the way to go on the F10. The ones without it look too plain jane and boring to me. Very sexy car, enjoy!

Quick Reply: Conversion to dark side complete - 2013 BMW 535i