Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Conversion to dark side complete - 2013 BMW 535i

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 04:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

looks nice, congrats.
Old 12-12-12, 05:43 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NYlexus
I'll stick with the ultimate driving machine.

The 5 series is a nice car but this statement isn't true any more. The Audi A6 and Lexus 4GS has surpassed it in terms driving dynamics and handling. At least according to several recent reviews in motoring magazines and blogs.

It may still lead in terms of luxury and looks (all subjective IMO) but in terms of skidpad grip, slalom speed and several other objective measures of handling, it isn't the Ultimate Driving Machine anymore.

Still a great car (you can't go too far wrong with cars in this segment) but the Ultimate in handling or driving involvement it is not. More like the second or third-most Ultimate Driving Machine.

Not a BMW hater too since I really liked the new 3 series' handling and loved the upcoming 4 series concept design inside and out. Who knows, I may join you in the dark side later next year but it'll probably be the 4 series that does the trick. The 3/4 series is how a 5 series should handle. The current F10 5 series is just too ponderous for my tastes.

But hey different strokes for different folks. What matters in the end is that you enjoy your car.

Last edited by natnut; 12-12-12 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-12-12, 06:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The 535i is a very nice car.I almost went for one but the GS was a better lease or buy deal after the nickle and dime option situation of both the 5 Series and the A6.
A comparably equipped 535ix was around $8K more on the sticker.
Old 12-12-12, 06:34 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the new 5 series. Great choice. Lets see some more pictures of it.
Old 12-12-12, 06:57 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always been a Bimmer fan.. E30, E34, E36, E38 I've had the pleasures of owning or driving for years. Like all cars there are some type of quirks that you just live with or around lol.
Old 12-12-12, 07:01 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
The 5 series is a nice car but this statement isn't true any more. The Audi A6 and Lexus 4GS has surpassed it in terms driving dynamics and handling. At least according to several recent reviews in motoring magazines and blogs.

It may still lead in terms of luxury and looks (all subjective IMO) but in terms of skidpad grip, slalom speed and several other objective measures of handling, it isn't the Ultimate Driving Machine anymore.

Still a great car (you can't go too far wrong with cars in this segment) but the Ultimate in handling or driving involvement it is not. More like the second or third-most Ultimate Driving Machine.

Not a BMW hater too since I really liked the new 3 series' handling and loved the upcoming 4 series concept design inside and out. Who knows, I may join you in the dark side later next year but it'll probably be the 4 series that does the trick. The 3/4 series is how a 5 series should handle. The current F10 5 series is just too ponderous for my tastes.

But hey different strokes for different folks. What matters in the end is that you enjoy your car.
Don't think he was actually claiming it is the ultimate driving machine in its class nowadays...that was just a reference to the ad slogan they used for so many years.
Old 12-12-12, 08:03 AM
LexFather

Well it seems that my recent itch for a new car to replace my "ole betsy (Camry Commuter car) landed me on a BMW 535i

1/Bimmer/frontphoto.jpg[/IMG]
Great pick up congrats. I still say while the 5 isn't the sportiest in class anymore to me it is the most logical in class. It really is a great all around vehicle.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Don't think he was actually claiming it is the ultimate driving machine in its class nowadays...that was just a reference to the ad slogan they used for so many years.
And you needed to come in here to defend that? With cars like the new GS, LFA (which BMW has no answer to) the market is muddied and those clear lines are no longer clear anymore. And we as consumers are lucky to have such cars to be able to drive and own.

Old 12-12-12, 08:29 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The turbo 306 HP engine with various modes and paddle shifters is awesome. I grin when i switch to sports++ and with paddle shifts, impressive shifting speeds....

...I may come back to the LEX world after a comparable vehicle intices me but for now, I'll stick with the ultimate driving machine.

Congrats on the car, solid overall and really can't go wrong in this class right now... unless of course you get the Infiniti M or Acura RL.

You must still be lusting after the GS, as the GS is the one with 306 HP, the 535i is 300

And as for the title "Ultimate Driving Machine" most have found that title now belongs more to the GS350 F-Sport than the 5 series.
Old 12-12-12, 09:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
And you needed to come in here to defend that? With cars like the new GS, LFA (which BMW has no answer to) the market is muddied and those clear lines are no longer clear anymore. And we as consumers are lucky to have such cars to be able to drive and own.
You are hilarious. I don't think you understood my post. I was just saying I'm pretty sure the OP wasn't saying the car was actually best-in-class in driving dynamics, but rather just saying "ultimate driving machine" instead of BMW, which is a nod to the ad slogan, not necessarily reality.
Old 12-12-12, 10:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

congrats on your new car! msport, nice!!!
Old 12-12-12, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations. I hope you like the Carbon-Black color (especially in the summer) as much a few years down the road as you do today. But I don't think there's much doubt that, even if it dosn't have Camry-type reliability, you will enjoy driving this car a lot more than a run-of-the-mill Camry.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-12-12 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-12-12, 11:03 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the pickup! Beautiful car!
Old 12-12-12, 03:07 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been a fan of F10, M-sport or not. Can't get over the schnoz all the late model BMWs have.
Old 12-12-12, 03:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Great pick up congrats. I still say while the 5 isn't the sportiest in class anymore to me it is the most logical in class. It really is a great all around vehicle.

Pretty much their all the same now. It comes down to personal preference on design basically. Buyers of almost any class of car win nowadays
Old 12-12-12, 04:41 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Best looking car in the class.

may not be the best driving anymore, but for road and highway, it's more than sufficient.

Handling? people talk about it like they do donuts and slaloms all day long.

Quick Reply: Conversion to dark side complete - 2013 BMW 535i