Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Conversion to dark side complete - 2013 BMW 535i

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 05:41 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^Thats kind of how all BMW drivers talked BEFORE the 5 series was no longer rated the best driving car
Old 12-12-12, 07:32 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
Best looking car in the class.

may not be the best driving anymore, but for road and highway, it's more than sufficient.

Handling? people talk about it like they do donuts and slaloms all day long.

Well. For years, that was what BMW fans used to justify the less then stellar reliability of the 5 series : that it was the best driver's car in its segment and that excused all other failings.

So live by the sword.....

Besides, I didn't need a slalom course to tell me that the 5 series I drove was grossly overweight when I negotiated a corner and nowhere as lithe and agile as the GS and A6 I test drove. A simple road course would have told you which car was more tossable, light on its feet, gave better driver feedback and gave better driver involvement. (Hint : it wasn't the 5 series).

Last edited by natnut; 12-12-12 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 07:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Well. For years, that was what BMW fans used to justify the less then stellar reliability of the 5 series : that it was the best driver's car it its segment and that excused all other failings.

So live by the sword.....

Besides, I didn't need a slalom course to tell me that the 5 series I drove was grossly overweight when I negotiated a corner and nowhere as lithe and agile as the GS and A6 I test drove. A simple road course would have told you which car was more tossable, light on its feet, gave better driver feedback and gave better driver involvement. (Hint : it wasn't the 5 series).
it is customary to congrats the guy on the car, it is done deal, cant do anything about it :-).
Old 12-12-12, 08:30 PM
andrew7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Its beautiful inside and out!!! Go add some M stuff to it =)
Old 12-12-12, 09:03 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy.

I kinda was expecting the thread to go different ways due to its content

Some quick notes:

- "dark side" and "ultimate driving machine" is tounge and cheek humor. I honestly don't even have the time to be a car "fanboy" like I was once for lex

-I drove the 4GS, and as much BMW is heavy, I seem to have no issues with taking sharp turns and curves in it. It feels tight and stuck to the ground something I haven't felt in a car like this in a long time,

- completely agree with "great choices" for all comment. Great cars out there. pick the one you like.

-Bottom line. Car buying is so much based upon your own likeness, opinion and feeling. I didn't feel the 4GS, but did for the 5. It might be opposite for others. That is what makes all of us different and car enthusiasts.

-thanks so much for the nice comments. I have a thick skin and I'm not returning this car since someones opinion is different from my opinion. All good

-will post pix after the rain here in SoCal and hopefully with it tinted.

Last edited by NYlexus; 12-12-12 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 09:35 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Thats what i like to hear, main thing is you enjoy it. You paid for it, so you obviously thought the car was worth it.
Old 12-14-12, 10:22 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 439 Likes on 362 Posts

I love the new 5 series. Congrats on the purchase.