Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comparison 335i Coupe VS Porsche Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 07:21 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comparison 335i Coupe VS Porsche Carrera

Both cars are equally match, performance wise. The Porsche mobilizes 325-horsepower from its 3.6-l Boxer 6-cylinder engine. The BMW, which weighs 103 kg more, produces 306-horsepower. 0-100 km/h takes place in 5.1 seconds for the Porsche, the BMW trails with an equally impressive 5.5 seconds. 0-200 km/h was measured as 18.2 seconds for the Porsche and 19.1 seconds for the BMW. Like we said, equally matched vehicles. Only during high-speed driving on the Autobahn does the BMW driver see the rear of the Porsche as it is limited to 250 km/h. The Porsche soldiers on until 285 km/h top speed.

The BMW engine has a nice sound to it. The magic behind the engine is the so-called "register charging", also called twin turbo. Both turbos are set to operate at different times. This and their small size ensure that fuel economy is acceptable and that turbo-lag is erradicated.

The 335i impresses with responsive and eager performance. We didn't detect any turbo-lag or any turbo screams. At every RPM, the 335i responds to every little input. The fuel economy is also more than acceptable: 9.5 L / 100 km in this class and for such a car are amazing. The 911 also offers impressive performance. The seats are a little harder and offer more side support though. The BMW feels like the sporty everyday clothes you wear, while the Porsche feels like a trainings / jogging unform. Turn the ignition **** and the Porsche comes to life with that classic growl. The instruments are classic. We found the intruments of the BMW a tad boring compared to the Porsche's.

At higher speeds, the Porsche engine becomes louder and louder, but the music we hear is addicting. The BMW does a better job at exterior sound isolation, but the traditional screaming engines are all part of the Porsche experience. Roadtest: both cars handle well, but the Porsche suspension always reminds you what roads you're driving o as the driver feels every bump. The BMW suspension is more adept at filtering out the unwanted road conditions. Compared to the raw nature of the Porsche, the BMW feels like a luxury ride.

A price question: the difference in price between these two cars is a whooping 34,723 Euro's. If you value comfort, space and overall practicality, the BMW is the car to get. Those looking for the sporty and emotional aspect as well as a car from a line of legends are best served with the Porsche 911 Carrera.

Even though the BMW 335i is more than up to the task of rivaling the Porsche, true sports car fans will always go for the Porsche. And that's well-deserved for the Porsche as it is the better sports car. Those looking for an overall package of sport and some luxury and better value will find their car in the BMW.
Old 12-18-06, 07:34 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice comparison.

34,723 Euro difference ... wow