Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Is Lexus So Inconsistent Across their Models?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 05:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
They are also aware of the Lexus trolls too They are well aware of concerns posted by people from forums to focus groups to emails giving feedback.There could be 500, 000 fanbois here Lexus is a product of the Kaizen Philosophy of "Continuous Improvement". It is ingrained in Toyota and of course Lexus. Even before internet forums Lexus was improving their products. The competition is too fierce for them to ever just rely on fanbois. Internally, Lexus is their own biggest critic which is partly why they move slowly compared to the Germans. They are super safe/critical of each move they make.

Lexus has inconsistencies but has never rested on laurels and depended on fanbois to buy average and sub-par products and justify things with high sales. Far from it. The majority of the time the vehicles are significant improvements each generation and sell well because they are outstanding products.

I think its fair to mention some inconsistencies like how maybe the ES has a optional panamaric roof and the GS does not. Its fair to say that the ESh does not offer LEDs when even the CTh does. Its fair to say the LS f-sport has fog lamps and the GS F-sport does not. Its even fair to say the LFA exists and the RX does lol.

It is being critical and not well thought out to say the new LS has keyless entry and a 2004 RX does not. Almost a 10 year gap. its not fair to say Lexus does not innovate and nit-pick items and not mention their innovations.
Great points Mike but you have to admit some never see negatives and no vehicle line is perfect.There's fanbois and trolls on every forum.
Maybe it doesn't mean much to a auto manufacturer but I believe they do read forums.
If you would see my vehicle purchase history here in the last 6-7 years you would see I'm a big Toyota/Lexus fan but I don't like every model and will state something I don't like about a model.
BTW,I don't consider you a Lexus fanboi.A big time Honda/Acura hater,yes but no Lexus fanboi.
Old 08-15-12, 05:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Great points Mike but you have to admit some never see negatives and no vehicle line is perfect.There's fanbois and trolls on every forum.
Maybe it doesn't mean much to a auto manufacturer but I believe they do read forums.
If you would see my vehicle purchase history here in the last 6-7 years you would see I'm a big Toyota/Lexus fan but I don't like every model and will state something I don't like about a model.
BTW,I don't consider you a Lexus fanboi.A big time Honda/Acura hater,yes but no Lexus fanboi.
hahahaha fair

Old 08-15-12, 08:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
off topic but i think they were first with MagneRide using Magnetorheological fluid. i think the new xts feature of a buzzer in the seat to warn of an object behind is unique (and great). although not a cadillac, i also LOVE Chevy Corvette's variable numbering on their speedo (up in 10's to about 80 then up in 20's from there - makes a lot of sense).
Wasn't aware the Corvette was a Cadillac . So we have one first.
i said it isn't a cadillac, and not sure why you ignored the other two, but hey... whatever.

If you see I agree Lexus is inconsistent but again they are in a HUGE transitionary period.
i think most here agree that complete consistency just isn't going to happen in any brand, that all brands are constantly in transition and practice continuous improvement too.
Old 08-20-12, 05:12 PM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you are new , welcome to CL Ron. Great observation and a sad one way to many of us have posted about and nothing has changed. Things are worse .
Thanks, Sicklex. Yes, I'm a newbie and so far I am enjoying the forum. Very friendly group and for the most part intelligent and informed.
Old 08-20-12, 05:24 PM
NCRon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus is not consistent because it is the profits and costs of the cars they are most concerned about.

Lexus does not always debut with the latest and greatest technology on some of the products they make, Lexus also does not always add the newest technology as they sometimes wait until the cost has come down significantly before they add it.

On the flipside, take a look at Cadillac and the stuff they debut with and then look at the reliabilty of some of their products.

Generally Lexus waits until they do a full redesign before they add some things, but lately they have been getting better at adding features before the next gen.

One thing I do like about Lexus, is that they usually get certains features right when they do add them.
I don't understand why Lexus should be "consistent." Folks who own an ES model aren't the same as those who owne the RX and owners of the LS are different from either of them. So it makes sense to tailor features to each segment of the customer base. I wonder how much Lexus owners move from one model to another. If they tend to stick to one (which satisfied customers tend to do) they won't notice any variations from model to model. So it seems to me that Lexus would be wiser to concentrate on perfecting each of its models for each of their respective customer bases rather than try to blur the differences. The main thing they need to keep doing is listening to their customers, as they seem to do more often than not.
Old 08-21-12, 10:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by NCRon
I don't understand why Lexus should be "consistent." Folks who own an ES model aren't the same as those who owne the RX and owners of the LS are different from either of them. So it makes sense to tailor features to each segment of the customer base. I wonder how much Lexus owners move from one model to another. If they tend to stick to one (which satisfied customers tend to do) they won't notice any variations from model to model. So it seems to me that Lexus would be wiser to concentrate on perfecting each of its models for each of their respective customer bases rather than try to blur the differences. The main thing they need to keep doing is listening to their customers, as they seem to do more often than not.
I think the original message was referring to features across the line which sometimes don't male sense. Lexus and Toyota have historically been slower to add items to a model as the vehicle ages.

For example, the 2010 SC430 did not have push button start while a 2007 load Camry would have it.
Old 08-21-12, 10:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I think the original message was referring to features across the line which sometimes don't male sense. Lexus and Toyota have historically been slower to add items to a model as the vehicle ages.

For example, the 2010 SC430 did not have push button start while a 2007 load Camry would have it.
thats pretty simple - SC430 was introduced decade ago... and they add major features only with major model change.
Old 08-21-12, 11:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats pretty simple - SC430 was introduced decade ago... and they add major features only with major model change.
i think they are trying to change that with the 2013 ls
Old 08-21-12, 12:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
And that is where Lexus struggles because they don't update as fast as some of the competition and that is what the original post is addressing.
Old 08-21-12, 12:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

but i don't really think lexus is any less consistent than any other brand.
Old 08-21-12, 01:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

And that is where Lexus struggles because they don't update as fast as some of the competition and that is what the original post is addressing.
but i think the sc430 is an extreme example. looking at the mb sl for example, it went from 03 to 11 with pretty similar components too. granted it has more changes than the sc430 for sure, but it's also double the price

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but i don't really think lexus is any less consistent than any other brand.
agreed. i see inconsistency in other brands too. although i do see most brands are working on that lately. lexus, audi, mb, bmw, all their exteriors and interiors become more coherent as of late
Old 08-21-12, 02:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
but i think the sc430 is an extreme example. looking at the mb sl for example, it went from 03 to 11 with pretty similar components too. granted it has more changes than the sc430 for sure, but it's also double the price

agreed. i see inconsistency in other brands too. although i do see most brands are working on that lately. lexus, audi, mb, bmw, all their exteriors and interiors become more coherent as of late
The SC430 is sort of an extreme example, I not sure but the SC never got aux port or USB input but it sure did get LED brake light upgrades.

An example along the Toyota line is how does a fully loaded, top line Sequoia get blind spot monitors but a flagship LX570 does not get them.
Old 08-21-12, 05:53 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

my original post is not talking about options per se, they are just part of the larger problem. Its the fact that even things as simple as design is not consistent because lexus values cost savings more than consistency.

If you look at the turn signal stalk across the C class and the S class, they will have the same function -- the 3 turn signal click.

Now that the GS has it, the new ES still lacks this function.
Old 08-21-12, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RXSF
my original post is not talking about options per se, they are just part of the larger problem. Its the fact that even things as simple as design is not consistent because lexus values cost savings more than consistency.

If you look at the turn signal stalk across the C class and the S class, they will have the same function -- the 3 turn signal click.

Now that the GS has it, the new ES still lacks this function.
well at least we know that must be one expensive option
Old 08-22-12, 05:14 AM
LexFather

Don't feed it....

Quick Reply: Why Is Lexus So Inconsistent Across their Models?