Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any chance Lexus will have full stop adaptive cruise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 01:46 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any chance Lexus will have full stop adaptive cruise in the US?

When do you think Lexus will join most other car manufacturers in offering full stop adaptive cruise? Lexus current radar cruise only works down to about 25mph. Full stop radar/adaptive cruise works down to 0 and brings the car to a stop in stop and go traffic.

Does Lexus offer it in other countries?

The full stop radar cruise has been offered by BMW, Mercedes and Bentley for years, and now Audi, Volvo, Volkwagen, even Subaru and the Chevy Impala now have this technology.

Lexus should be embarrassed that the Chevy Impala matched BMW and Mercedes in offering this technology before Lexus did.

Below are some links to info on full stop radar cruise for those who have not used it (some of whom nevertheless will have firmly held opinions on technology they have never used.)

http://video.ultimatestreet.com/vide...l-presentation Volvo s60 road test

Audi demo with a nice german accent

Infiniti:

Subaru Eyesight

C&D editorial on adaptive cruise and other safety tech http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/...et-a-lot-safer

Lexus:

Last edited by zmisst; 04-15-12 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-15-12, 02:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Hasn't this been discussed (to death) in another thread?? They don't have it. Who knows when they will. You'd have to ask people in the know at the big L. And they probably wouldn't say. Has it cost them sales? Again who knows. If it's an absolute deal breaker for a buyer, I guess they move on to something else that has it.
Old 04-15-12, 02:11 PM
zmisst
Rookie

I should have known better than to trust the answer of a Lexus sales person on a technology question.

This video from Lexus Global suggests that they do have full stop radar cruise on the new GS:

any confirmation of actually existing in the US?

Of course actually being able to exchange money for a delivered product with the option is likely another challenge.
Old 04-15-12, 02:14 PM
rcf8000
Pole Position

The video says "hybrid only" for full stop functionality. That's odd.
Old 04-15-12, 02:33 PM
zmisst
Rookie

From the GS 350 owners manual: http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_04-05.pdf

Vehicle-to-vehicle distance control driving is automatically canceled in the following
situations:
●Actual vehicle speed falls below approximately 25 mph (40 km/h).
●VSC is activated.
●TRAC is activated for a period of time.
●When the VSC or TRAC system is turned off by pressing the VSC OFF switch.
●The sensor cannot operate correctly because it is covered in some way.
●The windshield wipers are operating at high speed (when the wipers are in AUTO
mode or the high speed wiper operation).
●When snow mode is set.
If vehicle-to-vehicle distance control driving is automatically canceled for any other
reason, there may be a malfunction in the system. Contact your Lexus dealer.
Old 04-15-12, 02:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

if it cancels at 25mph or below, that means the car slows itself to 25 and then cruise just shuts off? that seems dicey because it seems to me like the driver might assume the car will continue to slow itself.
Old 04-15-12, 03:19 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if it cancels at 25mph or below, that means the car slows itself to 25 and then cruise just shuts off? that seems dicey because it seems to me like the driver might assume the car will continue to slow itself.
This is how Lexus adaptive cruise has worked for years. It works fine. But full stop is much better.

Looks like Lexus might finally have it in the GS hybrid.
Old 04-15-12, 03:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

At times Lexus and the mothership Toyota can be very slow at adopting new tech.

I would expect to see this type of feature debut on maybe the LS that Lexus is working on.
Old 04-15-12, 03:28 PM
zmisst
Rookie

From the UK GS brochure http://www.digi-flips.com/digiflips/.../digi-pdf1.pdf

"All-speed Adaptive Cruise Control"
Old 04-15-12, 03:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
From the UK GS brochure http://www.digi-flips.com/digiflips/.../digi-pdf1.pdf

"All-speed Adaptive Cruise Control"
Toyota is first company to have full speed adaptive cruise control on the market, in the world. MB announced it sooner than Toyota but Toyota actually sold it before MB (Toyota Crown in Japan).

I believe this was in 2003 or 2004.

Reason it is not here in USA is litigation, nothing else. I mean CNN tried to raise a racket few weeks ago when they got testing sheet from this system from 2007, on pre-production vehicle never sold in USA and tried to present it as if that means that Toyota's have electronic problems.

So I really doubt you will find it in US anytime soon.
Old 04-15-12, 06:21 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
Reason it is not here in USA is litigation, nothing else.
What litigation issues have Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Porsche, Volkswagen, or Volvo had during the past years that they have been selling full stop adaptive cruise in the US?

I think the Lexus problem in the US is simply the utterly brain dead management in their US HQ.

That they had this car in 2004 proves the point: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...n-majesta.html

Last edited by zmisst; 04-15-12 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-15-12, 06:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What litigation issues have Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Porsche, Volkswagen, or Volvo had during the past years that they have been selling full stop adaptive cruise in the US?

I think the Lexus problem in the US is simply the utterly brain dead management in their US HQ.

That they had this car in 2004 proves the point: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...n-majesta.html

Or maybe Toyota just doesn't want to do business with brain dead drivers that want to rely on electronics to do the driving for them, and then blame the manufacturer when they get in an accident.

I actually applaud Toyota for not having dangerous features such as full stop cruise control, nav unlock, etc.
Old 04-15-12, 07:17 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by Och
Or maybe Toyota just doesn't want to do business with brain dead drivers that want to rely on electronics to do the driving for them, and then blame the manufacturer when they get in an accident.

I actually applaud Toyota for not having dangerous features such as full stop cruise control, nav unlock, etc.
Luddites always protest technology they haven't used, don't understand and are afraid of -- it happened with seatbelts, airbags, third brake lights, headrests, power windows, regular cruise control, catalytic converters, keyless ignition, CDs, VCS, ABS, LKA, SH-AWD. HUD, PCS, CVT and of course hybrids.

If Toyota wants to cater to Luddites, then they should get in the shoe business since why do they want to business with those brain dead commuters that want to rely on internal combustion engines to do their walking for them!
Old 04-15-12, 07:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

i dont know where have you been for past few years.... do you remember the stories about toyota and lexus going on their own? running wild, killing hundreds of people? Biggest recalls in the history, etc, etc.

CNN story was few weeks ago, about full ACC in Toyota, you can google it up.

Why are the media targeting Toyota? I dont know. But they do... so I am not sure what do you not understand.
Old 04-15-12, 07:50 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont know where have you been for past few years.... do you remember the stories about toyota and lexus going on their own? running wild, killing hundreds of people? Biggest recalls in the history, etc, etc.

CNN story was few weeks ago, about full ACC in Toyota, you can google it up.

Why are the media targeting Toyota? I dont know. But they do... so I am not sure what do you not understand.
What does that have to do with showing any litigation issues have Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Porsche, Volkswagen, or Volvo had during the past years that they have been selling full stop adaptive cruise in the US?

If anything adaptive cruise and pre-collision would have prevented or lessened some of those accidents where people get their floor mats caught in the pedal or step on the wrong pedal. the ACC story is already debunked. Surprise -- the media got something wrong. no big deal. THey did it to audi much worse in the 80s.

Arguing with people who don't understand radar cruise isn't interesting.

Figuring out if I can buy a Lexus instead of an otherwise lesser Audi or a Volvo or BMW etc to get full stop radar cruise in the US is the topic of this thread.

Does anyone have any info on the apparent availability of the full stop radar cruise in the new GS hybrid?

Last edited by zmisst; 04-15-12 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Any chance Lexus will have full stop adaptive cruise?