Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any chance Lexus will have full stop adaptive cruise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 08:16 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...iref=allsearch

At 15 minute mark the Toyota engineer states that full speed adaptive cruise is available in Asia and Europe but not in the US where the cruise doesn't work below 20 mph. She incorrectly states that that is the market standard in the US.
Old 04-15-12, 09:23 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Default Lexus is finally bringing full speed dynamic cruise to the US in the GS 450h?

This video from Lexus Global suggests that they do have full stop radar cruise on the new GS hybrid:

But not clear if it will be in the US.

Will Lexus finally now catch up to what BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, Volkswagen, Infiniti, Subaru and even the Chevy Impala offer in the US?

The morons at US Lexus HQ have denied us the best from their superior engineering coworkers in Japan for too long.

Anyone who thinks full speed dynamic radar cruise is a bad thing -- don't buy it.

But I think the engineers in japan know what is better for my car than the paper pushers in Torrance California any day.
Old 04-15-12, 09:25 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by Och
Or maybe Toyota just doesn't want to do business with brain dead drivers that want to rely on electronics to do the driving for them, and then blame the manufacturer when they get in an accident.

I actually applaud Toyota for not having dangerous features such as full stop cruise control, nav unlock, etc.
I think the Lexus engineers in japan know what is better for my car than the brain dead paper pushers in Torrance California any day.
Old 04-15-12, 11:47 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

This is ridiculous. Why is Toyota the ONLY automaker afraid of litigation while all the other automakers enjoy having full-stop adaptive cruise control, HID on a full-sized LSUV, and fully operable navigation and entertainment system while driving for nearly a decade already? Come on Toyota, get your head out of the sand and look what all others have and you don't! They don't get sued and neither should you!
Old 04-16-12, 04:01 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

Seems to me that conventional cruise control is a lot more dangerous than full stop cruise control.
Old 04-16-12, 06:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
This is ridiculous. Why is Toyota the ONLY automaker afraid of litigation while all the other automakers enjoy having full-stop adaptive cruise control, HID on a full-sized LSUV, and fully operable navigation and entertainment system while driving for nearly a decade already? Come on Toyota, get your head out of the sand and look what all others have and you don't! They don't get sued and neither should you!
lol... do you guys live under the rock? Do you understand under how much litigation Toyota currently is?

this is funny. Every day you hear about progress on multiple class action lawsuits against Toyota and then you ask why are they afraid about litigation.
Old 04-16-12, 06:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
What does that have to do with showing any litigation issues have Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Porsche, Volkswagen, or Volvo had during the past years that they have been selling full stop adaptive cruise in the US?

If anything adaptive cruise and pre-collision would have prevented or lessened some of those accidents where people get their floor mats caught in the pedal or step on the wrong pedal. the ACC story is already debunked. Surprise -- the media got something wrong. no big deal. THey did it to audi much worse in the 80s.

Arguing with people who don't understand radar cruise isn't interesting.

Figuring out if I can buy a Lexus instead of an otherwise lesser Audi or a Volvo or BMW etc to get full stop radar cruise in the US is the topic of this thread.

Does anyone have any info on the apparent availability of the full stop radar cruise in the new GS hybrid?
i think i pretty much answered why.. now you can continue trying to pretend you dont understand whats going on thats fine.

i doubt GS will have full ACC, or any other Toyota vehicle, anytime soon.

p.s. there was big story in 2010 about Steve Wozniak thinking ACC is his car running out of control. He apologized month later when he realized his car has ACC that works on its own.
Old 04-16-12, 06:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Seems Honda caved in too.
My wife's '11 CR-V doesn't have the on the fly lockout but the '12's do.
Old 04-16-12, 08:38 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

People in the states drive distracted and are sue happy. Not a good combination at all
Old 04-16-12, 08:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus will add this when anyone actually cares about it.

Can't you really say the same thing about the head up instrument display? I mean, isn't it truly much safer not to have to take your eyes off the road to view your speed? But--hardly any cars have added this feature. Why? Because people aren't demanding to have it in the cars -- like, say, the ability to check sports scores or stock prices (which I guaranty will be in more cars sooner than full stop radar guided cruise control). If it's offered as an option--how many people are checking the box for radar cruise at all? I wouldn't--I have used my cruise control twice in 5 years.

So--unless the govt mandates it, like they did with airbags, TPMS, etc., or consumers voice an opinion about it, Lexus will add it whenever they feel like it.
Old 04-16-12, 06:32 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
People in the states drive distracted and are sue happy. Not a good combination at all
End of discussion.
Old 04-16-12, 08:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Hasn't this been discussed (to death) in another thread?? They don't have it. Who knows when they will. You'd have to ask people in the know at the big L. And they probably wouldn't say. Has it cost them sales? Again who knows. If it's an absolute deal breaker for a buyer, I guess they move on to something else that has it.
It it was. The rant was allowed there and allowed to continue in a new threat. Such are the times now.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if it cancels at 25mph or below, that means the car slows itself to 25 and then cruise just shuts off? that seems dicey because it seems to me like the driver might assume the car will continue to slow itself.
We have it in the HS. I actually like to know the computer disengages and expects me to ACTUALLY DRIVE the car . It still feels odd to sit and have the car slow itself and speed itself up based on the radar. Would a system to 0 work? Sure. Lexus doesn't seem to have it, no biggie. These systems are what a 3k option, most don't purchase it.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
At times Lexus and the mothership Toyota can be very slow at adopting new tech.

I would expect to see this type of feature debut on maybe the LS that Lexus is working on.
Toyota actually first with it. It is quite a talent to login here and find every thread to try to throw b.s on Lexus/Toyota on with lies and no resemblance to facts. Read below please, you are wrong again.

Originally Posted by spwolf
Toyota is first company to have full speed adaptive cruise control on the market, in the world. MB announced it sooner than Toyota but Toyota actually sold it before MB (Toyota Crown in Japan).

I believe this was in 2003 or 2004.

Reason it is not here in USA is litigation, nothing else. I mean CNN tried to raise a racket few weeks ago when they got testing sheet from this system from 2007, on pre-production vehicle never sold in USA and tried to present it as if that means that Toyota's have electronic problems.

So I really doubt you will find it in US anytime soon.

Originally Posted by zmisst
Luddites always protest technology they haven't used, don't understand and are afraid of -- it happened with seatbelts, airbags, third brake lights, headrests, power windows, regular cruise control, catalytic converters, keyless ignition, CDs, VCS, ABS, LKA, SH-AWD. HUD, PCS, CVT and of course hybrids.

If Toyota wants to cater to Luddites, then they should get in the shoe business since why do they want to business with those brain dead commuters that want to rely on internal combustion engines to do their walking for them!
Interesting. B/C Lexus/Toyota has debuted countless firsts. For example where the **** is the GM or competitions 552hp, V-10, Carbon Fiber exotic? Or maybe their V-8 hybrid? Or maybe their Atkinson cycle hybrid? How about their use of bamboo in vehicles? Or maybe their use of LEDs? How about their use of recyclable plastics? The LandCruiser/LX was the first car with HUD btw. etc etc.

I guess that doesn't matter. Nope the sole technology we should measure Lexus buy is a radar cruise that slows the car to 0 that maybe .5% of buyers purchase.

Brilliant.

Old 04-17-12, 04:26 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Interesting. B/C Lexus/Toyota has debuted countless firsts. For example where the **** is the GM or competitions 552hp, V-10, Carbon Fiber exotic? Or maybe their V-8 hybrid? Or maybe their Atkinson cycle hybrid? How about their use of bamboo in vehicles? Or maybe their use of LEDs? How about their use of recyclable plastics? The LandCruiser/LX was the first car with HUD btw. etc etc.

I guess that doesn't matter. Nope the sole technology we should measure Lexus buy is a radar cruise that slows the car to 0 that maybe .5% of buyers purchase.

Brilliant.
The issue is why Lexus US HQ in California doesn't offer full stop radar cruise in the US as toyota engineers in japan have already designed the technology as early as 2004 and as they already sell in Europe and Asia. I really have no idea who you are arguing against in the totally irrelevant rant above.

Many other lesser car manufacturers do now sell this technology in the US. and toyota sells it in other markets, but not in the US. That is a stupid marketing decision on the part of Lexus US HQ in California -- probably the result of listening to an overly risk averse company lawyer who doesn't understand technology.

note that criticizing this marketing decision by the Lexus US =/ "the sole technology we should measure Lexus buy is a radar cruise "
Old 04-17-12, 02:28 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this feature is promised for both GS250 and GS450h in EU when they get released mid summer.

My only guess is that it's still at development and testing phase.
Old 04-17-12, 02:50 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vladi
I think this feature is promised for both GS250 and GS450h in EU when they get released mid summer.

My only guess is that it's still at development and testing phase.
I think this feature is promised for only the GS hybrid since that is what it says in the video. Do you have other information?

My only guess is that full stop radar cruise is already available from Toyota in Asia and Europe since that is what a Toyota engineer said on CNN at 15:00 minute mark http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...iref=allsearch. Do you have other information?

Quick Reply: Any chance Lexus will have full stop adaptive cruise?