Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any chance Lexus will have full stop adaptive cruise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 04:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
I think this feature is promised for only the GS hybrid since that is what it says in the video. Do you have other information?

My only guess is that full stop radar cruise is already available from Toyota in Asia and Europe since that is what a Toyota engineer said on CNN at 15:00 minute mark http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...iref=allsearch. Do you have other information?
it is already available in Europe and Asia... and I think them mentioning it for GS450h is due to the fact that GS250 is lower model in EU and might not get that option and in some countries GS250 will not be sold at all.

BTW, reason I am ressurecting this thread is because of the new improvements in the system they made:
http://www.news.de/auto/855299426/st...eitssysteme/1/

:-)

(use google translate if you already dont use Chrome that has it built in)
Old 04-23-12, 08:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if it cancels at 25mph or below, that means the car slows itself to 25 and then cruise just shuts off? that seems dicey because it seems to me like the driver might assume the car will continue to slow itself.
Originally Posted by Och
Or maybe Toyota just doesn't want to do business with brain dead drivers that want to rely on electronics to do the driving for them, and then blame the manufacturer when they get in an accident.

I actually applaud Toyota for not having dangerous features such as full stop cruise control, nav unlock, etc.
Just one more reason, IMO, to toss out these nanny-devices and simply have drivers pay attention. A moving vehcle is not the place for a driver to be using electric shavers, hair dryers, newspapers, make-up, texting, hand-held cell phones, Internet-access devices, overly-complex electronic controls, or trying to referee kids squabbling in the back.

Now, I'm not opposed to cruise-controls by any means. I sometimes use the one in my Outback (mostly on Interstates). But cruise-controls are a convenience at most (they come handy if you get leg-cramps, for example), and are not meant to do everything or substitute for driver-inattention.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-12 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-25-12, 06:25 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back on topic and away from the luddite rants.

Does anyone know if the GS450h will have full speed/stop radar cruise in the US?
Old 04-26-12, 05:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zmisst
Back on topic and away from the luddite rants.

Does anyone know if the GS450h will have full speed/stop radar cruise in the US?
I thought that the OP was a rant?
Old 04-27-12, 05:35 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Originally Posted by tex2670
The OP pointed out that Lexus was behind its peers in offering desirable technology -- full speed radar cruise.

After further investigation it appears that Lexus will offer full speed radar cruise, at least in the GS450h. But it isn't clear that it will offered in the US.

Does anyone know? Or have any useful information?
Old 04-27-12, 05:43 PM
zmisst
Rookie

Lexus will add this when anyone actually cares about it.

Can't you really say the same thing about the head up instrument display? I mean, isn't it truly much safer not to have to take your eyes off the road to view your speed? But--hardly any cars have added this feature. Why? Because people aren't demanding to have it in the cars -- like, say, the ability to check sports scores or stock prices (which I guaranty will be in more cars sooner than full stop radar guided cruise control). If it's offered as an option--how many people are checking the box for radar cruise at all? I wouldn't--I have used my cruise control twice in 5 years.

So--unless the govt mandates it, like they did with airbags, TPMS, etc., or consumers voice an opinion about it, Lexus will add it whenever they feel like it.
Do you understand what an option is? It means you don't have to buy it. Mercedes, Volkswagen and Checy and other car makers in between offer it as an option. If you don't want it, don't buy it. Lexus doens't even offer full speed radar cruise as an option -- at least in the US. Their peer (and worse) car makers do.
Old 04-27-12, 05:48 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Bingo.

Terrible thread and with his ****ty attitude why would anyone help?

Old 04-29-12, 04:16 AM
zmisst
Rookie

Yeah, terrible thread -- giving accurate specific information about Lexus new technology and discussing whether it will be available in the US or only in other countries and what that means compared to Lexus tech offerings compared to its competitors.

And how stupid to criticize Lexus US corporate for denying Lexus technology in the US and annoying the Lexus fanboys.

Instead, let's talk about how c00l the new F sport grill in matador red looks!