Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This is the 2013 Ford Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-12, 12:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

New pics look terrific. But I wonder how much we'd be liking this car if Ford didn't rip the Aston grille.
Old 01-08-12, 12:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
New pics look terrific. But I wonder how much we'd be liking this car if Ford didn't rip the Aston grille.
Ford still owns a tiny stake of AM, so not surprised. The Mondeo and Focus seemed to be a precursor to this, but the new EVOS concept (pictured earlier in the thread) is the new face of Ford Design Language
Old 01-08-12, 01:11 PM
stick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car looks great. I'd like to see the 3.5L Ecoboost in it!
Old 01-08-12, 01:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
seems like official pics... as i said before, seems like they used their designers that did jags and AMs :-).
great, good for them, use what you got.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
i wonder how much wed' like the new style 'spindle' grill if lexus didn't rip darth vadar's mask.
Old 01-08-12, 08:36 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
seems like official pics... as i said before, seems like they used their designers that did jags and AMs :-).
The design director at Jaguar and the design director for Ford NA are brothers; Ian and Moray Callum.
Old 01-08-12, 09:08 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/09/2...mpg/#continued

Looks very very impressive!!
Old 01-08-12, 09:09 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Seems like Ford really did their homework on this one. Great fuel efficiency, nice new features, tighter panel gaps etc all topped off with an eye catching design. Gunning for that number 1 spot. Good job.

Fusion Hybrid also features an all-new 2.0-liter Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder gasoline engine, significantly downsized from the previous 2.5-liter unit while maintaining performance standards. This innovative powertrain is anticipated to deliver best-in-class fuel economy of 47 mpg in city driving and 44 mpg on the highway.

Fusion Hybrid fuel economy stands to outperform the 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid by 4 mpg city and 5 mpg highway and the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid by 12 mpg and 4 mpg, respectively.

The 1.6-liter EcoBoost is expected to deliver best-in-class four-cylinder non-hybrid fuel efficiency of 26 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway. The 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine – paired with a paddle-shifted six-speed SelectShift Automatic™ transmission, available 19-inch wheels and tires and all-wheel drive with the ability to send additional torque to the rear – is the Fusion performance option.

Topping the fuel-efficiency ladder is the Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid, aiming to be the most fuel-efficient midsize car in the world. Arriving this fall, Fusion Energi is anticipated to deliver more than 100 MPGe, a mile per gallon equivalency metric for electrified vehicles. This is 8 MPGe more than the Chevrolet Volt and 13 MPGe more than the projected efficiency of the Toyota Prius plug-in hybrid model.

The next-generation Fusion 1.6-liter is the first automatic-transmission Ford product offered with an automatic start-stop system. It shuts off engine power smoothly when the car is stopped and seamlessly restarts as the driver releases the brake pedal, helping Fusion to reduce fuel consumption and emissions by approximately 3.5 percent.

Old 01-08-12, 09:21 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this car is pretty damn impressive!!
Old 01-08-12, 09:25 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This kills the new Camry. Great, modern looks, excellent interior and superb powertrains, all from a domestic automaker.
Old 01-08-12, 09:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
This kills the new Camry. Great, modern looks, excellent interior and superb powertrains, all from a domestic automaker.

but camry defenders will now come in and say how good looking cars can't sell, they must be bland and dull to be successful.

having said that, it's still unlikely this will outsell the camry - the car for people who hate cars.
Old 01-08-12, 10:15 PM
LexFather

Its amazing to me we can't focus and chat about the Fusion and its huge improvement, instead having to read the usual Camry insults and jabs mixed with Lexus ones here.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's not light years behind, it's just bland and safe and not flashy, which is what its target market wants!

well, there's different approaches. if you want to beat camry, you don't build a car just like a camry. you will lose. you have to differentiate. if you go too 'nuts' you lose big. but to BEAT the camry is just hard because of a giant loyal following. you can beat on product, price, and/or service, but you have to do it for years, consistently, chipping away, it won't happen quick. the sonata tried to glitzy design and has definitely sold well, probably mostly at accord's expense. the fusion sold well, again possibly at accord's expense and maybe camry's for a while, but it's old now (until this new one comes out).
Sounds like when the competition can't beat a Lexus/Toyota, we make excuses. Now its "different approach". When the LS doesn't do well "oh it just isn't that good".

great, good for them, use what you got.

i wonder how much wed' like the new style 'spindle' grill if lexus didn't rip darth vadar's mask.
More Lexus jabs.

Do you specialize in overreacting?

This seems fantastic on paper, the hybrid is VERY impressive.

And its American in name. The Camry is more America, [B]the Fusion is made in Mexico. Did you know that? So who really is the domestic?

The Fusion is manufactured at Ford's Hermosillo Stamping & Assembly plant in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico, where the similar and now discontinued Mercury Milan and the Lincoln MKZ are also built.[

but camry defenders will now come in and say how good looking cars can't sell, they must be bland and dull to be successful.

having said that, it's still unlikely this will outsell the camry - the car for people who hate cars.
And Camry/Lexus/Toyota detractors will make every attempt to insult and jab the Camry/Lexus on a Lexus forum in a thread about the FUSION. Where is the comment "omg too much silver plastic" like in the LX 570?

We are to be discussing the Ford FUSION here.

Sorry, if you think people that hate cars hate the CAmry, well then the whole segment hates cars.

Shame.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-08-12 at 10:20 PM.

Old 01-08-12, 10:42 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its amazing to me we can't focus and chat about the Fusion and its huge improvement, instead having to read the usual Camry insults and jabs mixed with Lexus ones here.

Sounds like when the competition can't beat a Lexus/Toyota, we make excuses. Now its "different approach". When the LS doesn't do well "oh it just isn't that good".

More Lexus jabs.

Do you specialize in overreacting?

This seems fantastic on paper, the hybrid is VERY impressive.

And its American in name. The Camry is more America, [B]the Fusion is made in Mexico. Did you know that? So who really is the domestic?

And Camry/Lexus/Toyota detractors will make every attempt to insult and jab the Camry/Lexus on a Lexus forum in a thread about the FUSION. Where is the comment "omg too much silver plastic" like in the LX 570?

We are to be discussing the Ford FUSION here.

Sorry, if you think people that hate cars hate the CAmry, well then the whole segment hates cars.

Shame.
Camry is the Fusion's competition, a discussion of how it compares to the new Fusion is more than relevant. Being built in Mexico is a big drawback, I'd prefer they build the Fusion in America (or Canada ). Aside from that, inside, outside and under the hood I see little reason to choose a Camry over this, unless you have to have a V6.

Looking forward to first drive reviews, but as it stands kudos to Ford for delivering a great product
Old 01-08-12, 10:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Fantastic redesign for Ford and the Ford line-up. Interior and exterior are first rate.
Old 01-08-12, 10:55 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

wow love that front design, but i can't help feeling that the front doesn't match up with the rest of the car, must be because of that AM grille, i keep expecting to see some aggressive body lines and styling to follow.
Old 01-08-12, 10:58 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Camry is the Fusion's competition, a discussion of how it compares to the new Fusion is more than relevant. Being built in Mexico is a big drawback, I'd prefer they build the Fusion in America (or Canada ). Aside from that, inside, outside and under the hood I see little reason to choose a Camry over this, unless you have to have a V6.

Looking forward to first drive reviews, but as it stands kudos to Ford for delivering a great product
I can appreciate Ford's efforts here without bringing up the Camry or anything else. Ford continues to show they are focused and have it together. We should commend them for improving from the past Fusion. This vehicle looks very impressive so far.

It "killing" the Camry and "the Camry sucks" is just the usual, played, old, tired Toyota/Camry bashing that happens all over the internet and Toyota laughs all the way to the bank. The Camry is not a bad car at all, it just isn't as stylish as others, its main drawback to detractors. Clearly CONSUMERS, you know, those that actually purchase vehicles in this class, feel the styling is okay and other merits outshine the CAMRY KILLING COMPETITION" since the 6/7 year old Camry beat the crap out of all these new competitors this year and the new Camry is selling even better. I don't want to hear the "oh just b/c it sells doesn't mean its good" argument b/c then that means the E class/5 series must have that argument used against them. The cars are popular for a reason, they remain seen as the STANDARD by consumers, not the INTERNETZ.

Quick Reply: This is the 2013 Ford Fusion