Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This is the 2013 Ford Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-12, 09:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

my main dislike for Mondeo was the cabin... it was too big inside, too american... like if you were in F150.
Old 01-07-12, 10:25 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, id buy that, along with the sonata and new KIA. Boy is the market changing..
Old 01-07-12, 12:36 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I know this might be hard for people that just have a hard-on for crapping on the Camry but the Camry is light years ahead in most every other category but styling which is why they continue to chase and lose to the Camry.

Its absolutey amazing to me we should be talking about the Fusion and people want to bash yet again Camry styling. For the 10000000000000000th time, the Camry will never be some amazing looking Aston Martin. All the other cars that look more stylish sell far worse. Then who gives a crap if you have a more stylish car than a Camry, its the same class of car. You are doing it wrong.

Give it up.
No other cars can even touch the Camry's sales number, not even Honda Accord. Toyota knows how to build mainstream sedans!
Old 01-07-12, 02:43 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
my main dislike for Mondeo was the cabin... it was too big inside, too american... like if you were in F150.
weird - my cab driver in Oslo drives a Mondeo, and whenever I am in that car I find it to be pretty tight, and wish he would upgrade to an E-Class or Prius which feel more spacious.
Old 01-07-12, 03:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
weird - my cab driver in Oslo drives a Mondeo, and whenever I am in that car I find it to be pretty tight, and wish he would upgrade to an E-Class or Prius which feel more spacious.
never sat in the back... only in the drivers seat... european cars usually are cozy, feels like they wrap around you... Mondeo felt like i was in a truck, too much space in front.
Old 01-07-12, 03:58 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
never sat in the back... only in the drivers seat... european cars usually are cozy, feels like they wrap around you... Mondeo felt like i was in a truck, too much space in front.
I think you are just plain wrong on this one. I ride in the Mondeo in the front passenger seat at least 8 times a month, and it is nothing like a truck. It is a small narrow car. No different to the Toyota Avensis. The Prius feels more spacious (which is a good thing) because of its low sloping dash.

You probably sat in one once, after previously sitting in a fiesta or polo, and were struck by the space.

If the front of a Mondeo feels like a truck then the front of my GS must feel like a Freightliner cabin to you!
Old 01-08-12, 05:12 AM
modernx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Photos Leaked

Old 01-08-12, 07:52 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Holy crap that looks amazing. Is Ford an American company anymore? lol. Front end looks exactly like the concept shown last year. I think this is stunning.

Old 01-08-12, 07:59 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

That is a good looking car! I drove the current fusion, and I was way impressed. The car was built very well, very quiet, and lots of power. I really liked it. Good job Ford.
Old 01-08-12, 08:10 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Looking good. Ford continues to impress.

I am, however, surprised at Ford's use of Aston Martin's grill shape (starting with the Focus Electric). The shape is too recognizable as Aston Martin and that's what immediately comes to mind. I know Ford owned them up until 2007, but that doesn't translate into using their design ques.
Old 01-08-12, 08:16 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Looking good. Ford continues to impress.

I am, however, surprised at Ford's use of Aston Martin's grill shape (starting with the Focus Electric). The shape is too recognizable as Aston Martin and that's what immediately comes to mind. I know Ford owned them up until 2007, but that doesn't translate into using their design ques.
Agree. The grille is copying Aston Martin, and the hood lines are copying BMW. Wish they could be more original.
Old 01-08-12, 10:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I think you are just plain wrong on this one. I ride in the Mondeo in the front passenger seat at least 8 times a month, and it is nothing like a truck. It is a small narrow car. No different to the Toyota Avensis. The Prius feels more spacious (which is a good thing) because of its low sloping dash.

You probably sat in one once, after previously sitting in a fiesta or polo, and were struck by the space.

If the front of a Mondeo feels like a truck then the front of my GS must feel like a Freightliner cabin to you!
I am European. I drive European cars daily.
Ford Mondeo is largest car in its class. It is larger than Avensis - longer, wider, with a lot bigger wheelbase... Same goes for Passat. To get larger car in Europe, you would have to buy premium brand, like 5 series or bigger. No other car in its class is that big.

I would guess your GS460 has same interior as my old GS350 :-).

Of course you have different perspective since you are american... but for me, it was half size too big.
And on the same event, we drove 8 other cars from the class at the same time, I know what I am talking about.

"small narrow car" ... thats so funny. What do you think of our family mini vans? Most of them are smaller than Corolla. Do you wonder how we fit more than 2 people inside? :-)
Old 01-08-12, 10:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

loving that new fusion pic - hope it's accurate.
Old 01-08-12, 10:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
Design-wise the Camry is light years behind. Fortunately for Toyota, reliability and FE save it.
it's not light years behind, it's just bland and safe and not flashy, which is what its target market wants!

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
For the 10000000000000000th time, the Camry will never be some amazing looking Aston Martin. All the other cars that look more stylish sell far worse. Then who gives a crap if you have a more stylish car than a Camry, its the same class of car. You are doing it wrong.
Give it up.
well, there's different approaches. if you want to beat camry, you don't build a car just like a camry. you will lose. you have to differentiate. if you go too 'nuts' you lose big. but to BEAT the camry is just hard because of a giant loyal following. you can beat on product, price, and/or service, but you have to do it for years, consistently, chipping away, it won't happen quick. the sonata tried to glitzy design and has definitely sold well, probably mostly at accord's expense. the fusion sold well, again possibly at accord's expense and maybe camry's for a while, but it's old now (until this new one comes out).
Old 01-08-12, 11:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
loving that new fusion pic - hope it's accurate.
seems like official pics... as i said before, seems like they used their designers that did jags and AMs :-).

Quick Reply: This is the 2013 Ford Fusion