Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Toyota Avalon revealed (pics pg.14)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 03:23 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The drift I get is the 2013 Avalon will look close to a Tesla Model S. Comparing the front of an Audi A7 the body of a Jaguar XJ close to a Model S. Though first pictures of the Model S had a little Maserati to it also. It would not surprise me in the least as Toyota and Tesla are together already on the Rav4 EV. There was rumors that Tesla might be serviced at Toyota dealers and another was Lexus would sell and service Tesla's.
Old 08-23-11, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandhopper
Aren't the Avalon and the GS on the same platform?
No. The Avalon, Camry, and Lexus ES share the same FWD platform. So do the Highlander and RX SUVs. The GS is a RWD platform that Toyota does not use, under their own nameplate, in the U.S.
Old 08-23-11, 07:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think predicting and expecting the new Avalon to look like a Tesla S, Audi A7, or Jaguar XJ is setting people up to be disappointed. I highly doubt Toyota is going to design a Avalon to be that aggressive, edgy, or good looking while the Lexus lineup is far more conservative and sedate. The buyers/market for Avalon's are not looking for some edgy stunning looking car, that could even drive regular buyers away. I am sure it will be a little more aggressive then the current one and may take some of the newer Camry cues but I am not expecting anything too different or a stunner.
Old 08-23-11, 10:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

DISAPPOINTMENT COMES IN TWO FORMS:

Looks like an A7 or XJ = "Toyota copied! Shame they compared themselves to it!!"

Doesn't look like it = "It doesn't look as good! Shame they compared themselves to it!!"
Old 08-23-11, 11:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Love the current Avalon (and it's taillights). It's a solid car that serves a good purpose. Many adults do not want to stand out, do not need to race around the next corner, and do not want their car to look dated in a year. They want modern, reliable, and fuss-free transportation. The Avalon fits this bill, and adds a dose of luxury to the table.
I worry about the new one coming, if it's going to have it's role changed so boldly. Also not a fan of the A7 saggy butt, but I do like the window line.
Old 08-23-11, 11:36 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Every year at our new car show the VERY FIRST CAR i head for is the Avalon, ok yes the ext. is kinda blah, but have you guys actually sat inside one? I wish my 2IS had the Avalon dash, the gauge cluster is to die for~ imo.
Old 08-24-11, 07:01 AM
weezer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have high hopes for the new Avalon. I've spoken to my friend at Toyota that I have known for several years, and they were allowed to see one picture of the front/grill area. He was very impressed, and stated it was a very agressive luxury look, with a large air opening. He heard rumors that it is going to be announced this November. Could this be an unexpected announcement at the LA auto show? I would actually think so... I don't think Toyota would have shown the new Avalon to ALL of the dealers, and still have it be 18-24 months away. This could really help the brand, even if it is nicer then "Any Lexus on the road today, other then the LFA" as people are touting. A Lexus buyer will still buy a Lexus, but this could keep a lot of people that have moved on from the Camry from jumping ship. I realy think the new Avalon will be a home run for Toyota, and I havent felt that way in many years.
Old 08-24-11, 07:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by weezer
I have high hopes for the new Avalon. I've spoken to my friend at Toyota that I have known for several years, and they were allowed to see one picture of the front/grill area. He was very impressed, and stated it was a very agressive luxury look, with a large air opening. He heard rumors that it is going to be announced this November. Could this be an unexpected announcement at the LA auto show? I would actually think so... I don't think Toyota would have shown the new Avalon to ALL of the dealers, and still have it be 18-24 months away. This could really help the brand, even if it is nicer then "Any Lexus on the road today, other then the LFA" as people are touting. A Lexus buyer will still buy a Lexus, but this could keep a lot of people that have moved on from the Camry from jumping ship. I realy think the new Avalon will be a home run for Toyota, and I havent felt that way in many years.
i will believe aggressive and good styling once i see it :-).

but bring it on.
Old 08-24-11, 08:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh
The drift I get is the 2013 Avalon will look close to a Tesla Model S.

thanks for the laugh.
Old 08-24-11, 11:09 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Since it came out, Toyota seems to know the market for the Avalon very well. I'd be suprised if the new model was anything radically different, especially given the conservative approach taken with the new Camry.
Old 08-24-11, 12:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Since it came out, Toyota seems to know the market for the Avalon very well. I'd be suprised if the new model was anything radically different, especially given the conservative approach taken with the new Camry.
if they do make it an A7 copy for instance, I dont see why would they call it Avalon?
Old 08-24-11, 12:39 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so are there any pics?

4 pages of talk and nothing really substantial?

(Or I didn't really read anything)
Old 08-24-11, 02:05 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
so are there any pics?
No pics.

All talk.

But since we're at it, here is a gorgeous pic of a Jaguar XJ.

Old 08-24-11, 02:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
No pics.

All talk.

But since we're at it, here is a gorgeous pic of a Jaguar XJ.

Beautiful! If i can get an Avalon that looks like this for around $35K I am ALL over it....
Old 08-24-11, 10:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Wasn't 2011 the first model year for the current facelift? If so, there's no way Toyota is going to release photos or a new model anytime before mid/end of 2012. The current model is too "new."

Quick Reply: 2013 Toyota Avalon revealed (pics pg.14)