Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I really liked the new Explorer until...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 05:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I really liked the new Explorer until...

I saw the interior at the NY show.
The Explorer exterior looked great but the interior quality was the pits for a $48K vehicle.Terrible.The center console was looked awful cheap along with the center dash area.

Also peeped the $50K Lincoln MKS.The interior was a joke.Ugly wood trim and two accordion type door compartment on the console.Something you would see on a econo car.Awful for a $50K vehicle.Wood doors would have been the better choice.
The Navigator had what looked like water temp,gas,amp.oil needle gauges that looked like a '60's-70's vehicle.

Ford has to do a better job with their expensive vehicle interiors.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-27-11 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 06:46 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I know what you saying. I don't know why interiors are sooo sooo difficult for manufacturers to get it right.
The use of cheap materials and poor design decisions seems to prevail even after years of many reporters, magazines and enthusiasts clearly identifying the major FAIL in their new designs.

Case in point, why in these modern times the beloved Corvette suffers from, "it's getting better but not quite what you'd expect from America's permier sports car" Why is it generations of models that's getting better?!? Ah mean, when is it going to at least get on par with the competition??

How could Ford focus soo much on exterior design and fail to execute the same design excitement for the interior?
Old 04-27-11, 06:58 AM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

American cars have the worst interiors of all cars...besides the expensive autos you mentioned look at the interior of a Corvette or even Viper = **** for price...
Old 04-27-11, 09:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by IStoSC
American cars have the worst interiors of all cars...
that's a pretty ridiculously sweeping statement. while more true a couple of decades ago, many 'american' cars now have world class interiors.

i think the cadillac cts interior is excellent. chevy cruze interior, excllent. for taurus interior, really really nice (waaaay better than an accord or camry!). a ford f-150 interior is better than a toyota tundra interior.

and many 'japanese' interiors have gone in the toilet in recent years, notably, the honda civic (may be good materials, but it's hideous), the :eek: yaris abomination, and even the prius interior seems incredibly cheap although i guess that's mainly to be light for fuel economy.
Old 04-27-11, 10:02 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree about the new Explorer...was underwhelmed when I sat in it. The seating position also made it feel like I was sitting in the middle of the car, not the drivers side
Old 04-27-11, 10:50 AM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's a pretty ridiculously sweeping statement. while more true a couple of decades ago, many 'american' cars now have world class interiors.

i think the cadillac cts interior is excellent. chevy cruze interior, excllent. for taurus interior, really really nice (waaaay better than an accord or camry!). a ford f-150 interior is better than a toyota tundra interior.

and many 'japanese' interiors have gone in the toilet in recent years, notably, the honda civic (may be good materials, but it's hideous), the :eek: yaris abomination, and even the prius interior seems incredibly cheap although i guess that's mainly to be light for fuel economy.
Fair statement perhaps in very recent times they've started to up their game...but their only appealing cars (another sweeping statement such as the vette have world-*** interiors)...the only American cars I've driven lately and have been very dissatisfied with interior quality all happen to be Jeep (liberty) and Dodge (charger) and the amount of rubber and plastic just made me sad...
Old 04-27-11, 10:51 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Went to the NY autoshow yeasterday, I notice the exterior of the ford fusion, focus are nice until I actually sit and touch the interior. They put leather in one place and then cheap plastic next to it.......It seem like they just randomly put some leather on it to make it look nice at the "first glance".
Old 04-27-11, 11:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sweeping statements aside, the new Explorer at 4900 pounds is pretty hefty considering the BOF vehicle it replaced was only 75-150 pounds heavier depending on configuration/options/engines.

I felt the new Explorer interior was about what I expected in this class of SUV.
Old 04-27-11, 12:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

typical American cars. They have such crappy interiors generally. I think the only modern American car that has a nice interior would be the CTS
Old 04-27-11, 04:02 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel like the interior on my new Grand Cherokee is stunning. Many people have echoed the comments when they first ride in my car. It's much nicer than the 4Runner I was considering.

Materials felt much nicer than the Explorer
Old 04-27-11, 08:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
typical American cars. They have such crappy interiors generally.
you're entitled to your opinion of course, but i think it's out of date. not only has the interior of 'typical american cars' improved immensely, the interiors of non-american cars has in general gotten worse.

so how's this? MOST interiors from ALL brands are pretty crappy.
Old 04-27-11, 08:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

. a ford f-150 interior is better than a toyota tundra interior.
That's a pretty ridiculously sweeping statement. You're entitled to your opinion of course but i think it's out of date.

And seriously, that's what it is (opinion, from both of us) and what other members are posting about too. I looked at the F150 and didn't care for the interior. The Tundra is certainly no Lexus but I personally preferred it over than all the domestic options I considered (all makes). I think in many cases people prefer what they've "grown up with".... I know moving from a Toyota to a Lexus felt right because of all the control placement, etc for me back when I bought my first GS in 1999.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-27-11 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-27-11, 09:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

this is about the best pic i can find of a 2011 tundra interior. a friend has one too so i know it pretty well. my complaint is the giant swath of silver painted plastic in front of the driver.

but maybe it is pretty debatable... the ford interior is 'busier', and kind of more 'trucky'...

regardless of this one model comparison, to say all american interiors is bad is definitely not true, not even subjectively.
Old 04-27-11, 09:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The new Explorer interior is a nice step up from last gen.
Old 04-27-11, 10:39 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chevy cruze interior, excllent. for taurus interior, really really nice (waaaay better than an accord or camry!)
Like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_b4V6C4aM

If that were to happen to a Corolla, the whole world would go BANANA!

By the way, I had a Taurus rental with 15k miles on it. Everything is peeling off. I have been so impressed with new fords lately until I had one for rental. I honestly have never been in older Fords for a long time, but new Taurus do not have "waaaay better than" camry or accord interor.

Quick Reply: I really liked the new Explorer until...