Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I really liked the new Explorer until...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 10:48 PM
LexFather

I don't find the new Explorer interior bad but like many vehicles, especially SUVs that rise steeply in price as the options/trim levels add up, well I do question the value and question the interiors when they are 40k plus with options. When we went car shopping for the wife I explained that we were shocked that Muranos, Acura's, Highlanders, etc etc were all 40k with average/okay interiors and it simply made additional sense to us to just buy a CPO Lexus. The sticker shock for some of these vehicles is well, shocking

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
typical American cars. They have such crappy interiors generally. I think the only modern American car that has a nice interior would be the CTS
I see. Blanket statements against American brands=okay.

What is American exactly? B/C the Tundra is built in Texas for the American market.
The BMW SUVs are all built in S.C.
Mercedes has a plant in Alabama.
Kia/Hyundai have plants in AL and GA.
Acura's TL is designed in Cali for America built in Ohio with the RDX, Accord.
Suburu's are made in Indiana. So are Hondas.
Nissan has plants in TN and MS.
Toyota has plants in KT and other states.
etc etc etc

A lot of these vehicles are not just made here but designed here, for here only/mainly. They are for all intents and purposes, American cars, they just are badged as an IMPORT. They seem to be pretty well built in most cases.Some cars built here by Japanese brands had pretty poor quality interiors. The 99-04 TL/Cl comes to mind and people beat up the Camry interior for being not so great.

Originally Posted by STIG
Like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_b4V6C4aM

If that were to happen to a Corolla, the whole world would go BANANA!

By the way, I had a Taurus rental with 15k miles on it. Everything is peeling off. I have been so impressed with new fords lately until I had one for rental. I honestly have never been in older Fords for a long time, but new Taurus do not have "waaaay better than" camry or accord interor.
lol

I mean people complained that the previous Tundra was bland inside and out. Toyota gives the Tundra some ***** inside and out and makes it different looking and people complain about that too.

I think both interiors are pretty close (F-150/Tundra) with the slight edge to the F-150. However I do find the Tundra interior more appealing and I actually like that wrap-around silver part for the driver, its very different. As Dave said its also appealing b/c a long time Toyota/Lexus owner can feel things out much quicker. That said I was pretty stunned by the F-150 interior when the last one debuted and bitkahuna brought it to a car show we held at the Autozone years ago. It was really stunning for a truck at the time.

Old 04-27-11, 11:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I think the real problem with some American interiors is they are retro-styled. This does little to justify a high price or pull a model up to it's modern peers.
I've always thought, when I see a retro interior in a modern car or SUV, it's a tell-tale sign the manufacturer had no idea what to do inside. IMO, it's a cheap and easy way out.
Old 04-27-11, 11:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
By the way, I had a Taurus rental with 15k miles on it. Everything is peeling off. I have been so impressed with new fords lately until I had one for rental.
who knows how that rental was treated for 15k.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I think the real problem with some American interiors is they are retro-styled. This does little to justify a high price or pull a model up to it's modern peers.
I've always thought, when I see a retro interior in a modern car or SUV, it's a tell-tale sign the manufacturer had no idea what to do inside. IMO, it's a cheap and easy way out.
don't know an suv with a retro interior, but cars like mustang and camaro certainly do and i really don't like either.
Old 04-27-11, 11:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
who knows how that rental was treated for 15k.

don't know an suv with a retro interior, but cars like mustang and camaro certainly do and i really don't like either.
Check this one...

http://lincoln-navigator.org/wp-cont...0-Interior.jpg

I had a Playmobile that had a similar "dash."
Old 04-27-11, 11:30 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
regardless of this one model comparison, to say all american interiors is bad is definitely not true, not even subjectively.
You guys and your "luxury" trucks.

Mine looks like this...nothing to get at all excited about.
Attached Thumbnails I really liked the new Explorer until...-f150-interior.jpg  
Old 04-28-11, 06:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check this one...

http://lincoln-navigator.org/wp-cont...0-Interior.jpg

I had a Playmobile that had a similar "dash."
Yep,there are those 4 needle 70's oil,temp etc gauges I posted about.Terrible on an expensive vehicle.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-28-11 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-28-11, 07:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
You guys and your "luxury" trucks.

Mine looks like this...nothing to get at all excited about.
ALL AMERICAN CAR INTERIORS SUCK

All of you should have gotten that glorious Nissan Titan, you know, the one with the worst interior of any truck since it debuted.

Old 04-28-11, 10:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Yep,there are those 4 needle 70's oil,temp etc gauges I posted about.Terrible on an expensive vehicle.
Why complain, though? Many vehicles don't give you oil-temp/oil-pressure/voltmeter, or, in some cases, even coolant-temperature gauges at all, but make do with idiot-lights. I'd rather have a set of dull-looking gauges, which at least give you some info about what is actually going on under the hood, than to simply rely on a bunch of red and blue-colored cheap light-bulbs.
Old 04-28-11, 10:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why complain, though? Many vehicles don't give you oil-temp/oil-pressure/voltmeter, or, in some cases, even coolant-temperature gauges at all, but make do with idiot-lights. I'd rather have a set of dull-looking gauges, which at least give you some info about what is actually going on under the hood, than to simply rely on a bunch of red and blue-colored cheap light-bulbs.

I love the gauges over idiot lights but not that 70's rectangular style gauge on any vehicle.Especially a $50+K vehicle.
Old 04-28-11, 11:48 AM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually LIKE the new Explorer's interior. I think it looks modern and fresh.
What I do not like is the Explorer's build quality.

After poking around, we learn the head-splitting rear squeak is because of a poorly fitted rear-tire aerodynamic deflector spat. Both rear tire spats eventually failed, and the trim piece flew off on the freeway.

Additionally, a front piece of bumper trim broke loose, and the MyFord Touch system shut down for about 60 seconds, taking away all climate, stereo, phone, and navigation controls before rebooting.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1KqSKwYqe
Old 04-28-11, 12:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Haitwun
I actually LIKE the new Explorer's interior. I think it looks modern and fresh.
What I do not like is the Explorer's build quality.
Note: The Explorer with the problems in the MT test was a pre-production sample.
Old 04-28-11, 01:06 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen them first hand, but the interiors of the new Chrysler 300, saddle color Grand Cherokee, and King Ranch edition of the the F150 all look pretty nice.
Old 04-28-11, 03:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Also don't care for the mini tachometer in the new Explorer. With the speedo so big and the tach so small, it looks like the cheap GM gauge clusters of the 80's when they weren't including tachometers. Also looks like a big eye staring back at you.
Old 04-28-11, 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Also don't care for the mini tachometer in the new Explorer. With the speedo so big and the tach so small, it looks like the cheap GM gauge clusters of the 80's when they weren't including tachometers. Also looks like a big eye staring back at you.
curious, what do you drive daily?
Old 04-28-11, 07:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Note: The Explorer with the problems in the MT test was a pre-production sample.
Good observation.....

Quick Reply: I really liked the new Explorer until...