Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Sienna or 2011 Odyssey?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 02:32 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

the ONLY acceptable excuse to buy the new odyssey over the sienna is the bigger 2nd row middle seat.

other than that

I'd rather get the '10 odyssey.

However, no purchase today but its most likely going to be the Sienna.
Old 12-28-10, 08:19 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've warmed up to the Odyssey's exterior look. Aside from the front end, the new Sienna looks rather anonymous to me. Going inside, the Sienna falls further behind with its hard plastics and the slightly out-of-place swooping wood trim line.

An MPV buyer probably does not place much priority on cornering abilities, so I won't make any comments there. The huge negative on the Odyssey is the price.
Old 12-29-10, 09:56 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by superchan7

An MPV buyer probably does not place much priority on cornering abilities, so I won't make any comments there. The huge negative on the Odyssey is the price.
I agree a minivan is no speed racer, but when you have a family full inside while taking a turn/on ramp, it's nice to know that if feels stable and confident.
You don't see all 7 passengers grabbing on to the arm rests

And when you're going up the mountain with twisty road, it's less nauseating.
Old 12-29-10, 11:57 AM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I agree a minivan is no speed racer, but when you have a family full inside while taking a turn/on ramp, it's nice to know that if feels stable and confident.
You don't see all 7 passengers grabbing on to the arm rests

And when you're going up the mountain with twisty road, it's less nauseating.
This is so true. Handling plays a role in my buying decision. I can't comment on the Sienna SE since I have not driven one, but as I said it is out of the running because you can't get a leather interior. Besides, the SE must be rare. I have yet to see one on the road or at a dealer.

The SE aside, the Odyssey is the better driver/handler in my view after driving them back-to-back. There's a video on youtube (the link won't post here) where you can clearly see the Odyssey beats the Sienna in evasive handling.

Buying cars is subjective, and everyone has their opinion. But after comparing the Honda and Toyota (and I typically like Toyotas better), I've come to the same conclusion as Automobile Magazine, which named the 2011 Odyssey an All-Star:

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...a_odyssey.html

"The minivan is as close as you can get to the perfect family vehicle, and the Honda Odyssey is as close as you can get to the perfect minivan."

If somebody prefers the Sienna, that's great, too. You can't go wrong either way, it just boils down to personal preference.
Old 12-29-10, 07:10 PM
KingsLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motor Trend has a good comparo this month on these two plus the Caravan. Sienna took first prize in case anyone was wondering.
Old 12-30-10, 06:29 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a 2006 Oddy in the family. Reliable vehicle but it has a very heavy steering. not what I would prefer to drive over an extended period of time.
Old 12-30-10, 06:35 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I actually went to see both the Sienna and Odyssey in person. The minivan is for my parents but I help with the decision making. They are in their 50's so no need for all of the technological goodies just something reliable with cargo carrying ability for their restaurant business. So after seeing the Odyssey in person, it turned out to be a real disappointment. The exterior was . It did not look good no matter the color. The front end was average while the rear looked awful. The interior was nice with a nice load of standard features, but the Odyssey was more expensive than the Sienna. The Odyssey's ride was firm and not as smooth as the Sienna. The Sienna in comparison looked better to me. Exterior goes to Sienna and interior goes to the Odyssey. The Honda dealer only had a few in stock because it was a new model. However, no purchase today but its most likely going to be the Sienna.
My viewpoint is that I would be looking at the exterior of my vehicle for 10 secs while I get into it, and then staring at the interior for the 30min ride.
I'd rather get a vehicle with better interior looks than exterior, given all else is the same.
Old 12-30-10, 11:09 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
My viewpoint is that I would be looking at the exterior of my vehicle for 10 secs while I get into it, and then staring at the interior for the 30min ride.
I'd rather get a vehicle with better interior looks than exterior, given all else is the same.
If you are more concerned about the interior you definitely want the Odyssey. Better design and better quality materials and fit and finish then the Sienna. Sienna interior is a disappointment and you can immediately tell the interior is where costs have been cut.
Old 12-30-10, 11:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
If you are more concerned about the interior you definitely want the Odyssey. Better design and better quality materials and fit and finish then the Sienna. Sienna interior is a disappointment and you can immediately tell the interior is where costs have been cut.
Better design, "to you". Qualty/fit and finish is negligible. People's biggest outcry seems to be the swoop of fake wood on the dash. You also lose space and gain wind noise in the Oddy and again, you have to load an Oddy up to 40k+ to get features on a base 26k Sienna.

Old 12-30-10, 08:20 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

I agree a minivan is no speed racer, but when you have a family full inside while taking a turn/on ramp, it's nice to know that if feels stable and confident. You don't see all 7 passengers grabbing on to the arm rests And when you're going up the mountain with twisty road, it's less nauseating.
If you're looking at an Odyssey Touring vs. Sienna XLE like I am, then you may want to reconsider your statement that the only excuse to get the Odyssey over the Sienna is the larger 2nd row middle seat

According to Edmunds:
"On suburban roads, the Odyssey remains the driver's minivan. The Sienna's ride is indeed softer, even floaty sometimes compared to the buttoned-down Odyssey...Moreover, the Honda's road manners will win the heart of any car-guy-turned-family-man. Forget crossovers. The 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite is the closest thing there is to an eight-passenger sport sedan."

http://www.insideline.com/honda/odys...l#pvm_carousel

Last edited by Lenscap2; 12-30-10 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-30-10, 08:52 PM
LexFather

And again, neither van is a bad van, both are very evenly matched and both are a good buy. That said lets not act like the Oddy is head and shoulders superior. Its not.

2 out of the 10 worst handling vehicles Motor Trend tested are Odyssey's

http://wot.motortrend.com/10-worst-h...#ixzz19bbzdvoy

No Sienna is mentioned. Other vans on the list;
VW Routan
Chrysler T&C
Dodge Grand Caravan

It is not some nimble 911, its a big, heavy huge van like Edmunds would have us believe. Again the Oddy might handle slightly better than the Sienna LE/XLE (which they tested in the comparo) but not the Sienna SE.

Here is what the same people said just last week about the Sienna SE.

http://www.insideline.com/toyota/sie...sienna-se.html

"This is how all Siennas should drive — maybe how all minivans should drive." That's what Chief Road Test Editor Chris Walton said after driving the 2011 Toyota Sienna SE. The SE model doesn't steer like other Toyotas, it doesn't ride like other Toyotas, and it certainly doesn't steer or ride anything like the outgoing generation of minivans. And that's a good thing.
Truly what marks out the Sienna SE from the herd of family minivans is its chassis tuning, taut steering, lack of body roll and near perfect suspension damping.

1st Place: Toyota Sienna SE
Brilliant (for a minivan) driving dynamics and intelligent second- and third-row packaging make for the smartest choice. The good looks don't hurt its case.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz19f57lC4S

Old 12-30-10, 08:59 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And again, neither van is a bad van, both are very evenly matched and both are a good buy. That said lets not act like the Oddy is head and shoulders superior. Its not.
Well said, I totally agree. I wouldn't consider any other minivan but these two.
Old 12-30-10, 09:14 PM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
If you're looking at an Odyssey Touring vs. Sienna XLE like I am, then you may want to reconsider your statement that the only excuse to get the Odyssey over the Sienna is the larger 2nd row middle seat
I already have an SE by the way-you'll have to put a gun to my head and even then for me to consider the oddy

Just to make sure that there's no confusion with my comment:
The odyssey has a regular size middle seat in the 2nd row while the sienna has a munchkin size.
Old 12-31-10, 11:47 AM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

I already have an SE by the way-you'll have to put a gun to my head and even then for me to consider the oddy
Ahh, I see I wish the SE offered leather, nav and rear DVD. If it did, I would strongly consider it. It's a great van.

By the way, I like your Yo Gabba Gabba sign off. I bet not many here know what that is (that's what kids will do to you).
Old 01-01-11, 08:39 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda is my pick, I own a 05 with 129k miles and I still love it.

The ride and driver feel is why I bought one.

My brother just purchased a new Sienna and loves it. I drove it and was impressed with the steering and 2nd row seat comfort.

I think Ody wins on resale value......to close to call.

Last edited by jimxo; 01-01-11 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Sienna or 2011 Odyssey?