Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Sienna or 2011 Odyssey?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-10, 07:02 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamar411
Nice list and i agree w/ most of it. What did you think of the Sienna's price?
With list price, I think the Sienna XLE with nav/rear DVD is about $2,000 less than the Odyssey Touring (roughly $39,500 vs. $41,500). I haven't negotiated any deal yet to see what discounts are offered because, like I said, I won't be buying one for another nine months. Even if the Odyssey is more it is worth it to me, though.
Old 12-25-10, 07:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
5. We actually like the look of the Odyssey in person... it is much more car-like in its stance whereas the Sienna is more like a traditional van.
"Lenscap" might be on?

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Without hesitation, I would choose the Odyssey. Much better to driver overall. I'm amazed at how car like it drives. If you want the more engaging vehicle, then the Odyssey is the better choice. The Sienna seems quite boring in comparison.
Seems reviews feel the Sienna SE is the better driving car actually. The Sienna can be had in LE, SE and has optional AWD. The Oddy is one way with either a 5 or 6 speed depending on trim level.

Not sure how the Sienna is boring when Honda clearly is marketing/advertising/styling in a more masculine and aggressive fashion after the Sienna.

Old 12-25-10, 08:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I cant believe a minivan thread is 3 pages long.
Old 12-25-10, 08:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och

Old 12-26-10, 01:18 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a fact that many of us have kids and need a vehicle to haul bodies and luggages... minivans do the best job among all the 7~8 seaters.

If it's my money and I can't wait to see the upcoming Nissan Quest, I will take the cheapest V6 Sienna. Why? A loaded Sienna costs $44K but comes with the same cheap interior from the <$30K Sienna... This is a deal breaker for me. As for the Odyssey, I only like the interior... a black Odyssey will be my pick...
Old 12-26-10, 05:38 AM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flipside909
There are many advantages to the Sienna that the Odyssey doesn't have, mainly a great warranty.

Toyota = 3 yr/36k Bumper to Bumper and 5 yr/60k Powertrain
Honda = 3 yr/36k Bumper to Bumper & Powertrain
I think you're mistaken. I have the 2011 Odyssey brochure right here and it says the Odyssey has a 3yr/36k warranty and 5yr/60k powertrain warranty, too.
Old 12-26-10, 05:42 AM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Gas mileage: The Odyssey

And gas is getting pretty high.
Besides being rated 1mpg better than the Sienna, I believe the Odyssey Touring is made to run on regular gas, while the Sienna requires premium.
Old 12-26-10, 06:20 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The ONLY redeeming thing about the new Odyssey, perhaps the greatest commercial ever made for average crap... song alone makes me want to throw some Marshall stacks in the Sienna and head out to soccer practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYQ-jRHeCW0
Old 12-26-10, 06:22 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
... while the Sienna requires premium.
That would be news...
Old 12-26-10, 06:36 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I actually went to see both the Sienna and Odyssey in person. The minivan is for my parents but I help with the decision making. They are in their 50's so no need for all of the technological goodies just something reliable with cargo carrying ability for their restaurant business. So after seeing the Odyssey in person, it turned out to be a real disappointment. The exterior was . It did not look good no matter the color. The front end was average while the rear looked awful. The interior was nice with a nice load of standard features, but the Odyssey was more expensive than the Sienna. The Odyssey's ride was firm and not as smooth as the Sienna. The Sienna in comparison looked better to me. Exterior goes to Sienna and interior goes to the Odyssey. The Honda dealer only had a few in stock because it was a new model. However, no purchase today but its most likely going to be the Sienna.

Last edited by LexusMan77; 12-26-10 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-26-10, 06:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I actually went to see both the Sienna and Odyssey in person. The minivan is for my parents but I help with the decision making. They are in their 50's so no need for all of the technological goodies just something reliable with cargo carrying ability for their restaurant business. So after seeing the Odyssey in person, it turned out to be a real disappointment. The exterior was . It did not look good no matter the color. The front end was average while the rear looked awful. The interior was nice with a nice load of standard features, but the Odyssey was more expensive than the Sienna. The Odyssey's ride was firm and not as smooth as the Sienna. The Sienna in comparison looked better to me. Exterior goes to Sienna and interior goes to the Odyssey. The Honda dealer only had a few in stock because it was a new model. However, no purchase today but its most likely going to be the Sienna.
Great job gang, we saved more eyes and lives.

Old 12-26-10, 10:08 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, I prefer to drive the Odyssey. It does feel more carlike to me and hence an easier drive. It somehow seems more maneuverable.

Of course the Sienna is better looking overall. I don't think I'll ever like the tracks on the side of the Odyssey and the offset rear windows - it's a shame because the rest of the vehicle is pretty good looking, far better than other Honda products. The front end is nice and the stance is good. But since it's a van, appearance is low on my list of priorities.

I haven't driven a 4 cylinder Sienna. But if you can live without all the gadgets, that may be the ticket...

In any case, I think it's a very close call between the two. You can't go wrong either way. I'd probably choose a Toyota vehicle in every other class between the two manufacturers (current production vehicles, of course).
Old 12-27-10, 06:28 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Sienna is a good choice..............very smooth ride. On side note, why don't you get a older model since mainly use for business. Anyway, keep us posted.
Old 12-28-10, 10:40 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

just saw a purple odyssey. not my cup of tea.
Old 12-28-10, 11:07 AM
LexFather

http://www.insideline.com/toyota/sie...sienna-se.html

"This is how all Siennas should drive — maybe how all minivans should drive." That's what Chief Road Test Editor Chris Walton said after driving the 2011 Toyota Sienna SE.

Quick Reply: 2011 Sienna or 2011 Odyssey?