Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

AMG power for hot Infinitis

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 07:54 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMG power for hot Infinitis

AMG power for hot Infinitis

Infiniti's hot models could carry ‘Powered by AMG’ badges as part of Nissan’s recent tie-up with the Daimler group, sources in Japan have suggested.

Nissan’s luxury arm is considering all options for the Infiniti Performance Line, from mere styling add-ons to full-blown hot models built on the main production line. But the latter option is said to be more in tune with the brand’s stated ambition to be recognised for its dynamics and performance.

One powerplant on the shortlist is Mercedes’ forthcoming turbocharged 3.5-litre V6. It would replace Nissan’s venerable 3.7-litre unit in Infiniti’s G range and could be tweaked to produce up to 400bhp.

Sources say the IPL version of the M, Infiniti’s 5-series rival, could end up using AMG’s 6.2-litre V8 — and be priced north of £60,000. That would allow the M IPL to undercut the E63 AMG but rival Jaguar’s XFR on price.

Source: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...aspx?AR=254415
Old 12-06-10, 07:57 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

interesting...
Old 12-06-10, 07:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just doesn't make any sense.
Old 12-06-10, 08:03 AM
LexFather

Lame. If I want AMG I will get a real Benz. They cannot taut Infniti as the "Japanese brand" with all this mulatto mixing. The M35 diesel already uses a truck engine from Renault. To me at this rate, just stop selling the brand if the HEART of the cars will not be from Japan.

Why not slap the GT-R mechanical s in a car of theirs? Slap the 5.6 in the G37. I rather they slap the JDM NIsmo parts on their own cars like they did the G37 IPL then go German or French.

Its odd they try to taut performance still when they don't out-perform the leaders and their own IPL head said they see no reason in selling true AMG/F/M/RS competitors.

There's no way in hell I would buy a GS if the heart of soul of the car was from another brand.

Old 12-06-10, 08:43 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Well, like anything else of this nature it sounds like a rumor and until there's something more substantial I'll treat it as hearsay. I think Nissan has more than enough performance resources to go their own way. Not to mention the completely dubious decision to launch the IPL line in the midst of such a consideration. This just doesn't sound credible to me at this point.
Old 12-06-10, 08:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nissan can/has built a car that can wipe the floor with any production AMG car ever made. Why would they need Mercedes' help?

I think it would be great for Nissan/Infiniti to put together a group that focused on the GTR, NISMO products, and M/F/AMG fighting Infiniti models. The technology and resources are all there, in-house.
Old 12-06-10, 09:14 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it interesting as well, possible competition to the F?
Old 12-06-10, 09:28 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lame. If I want AMG I will get a real Benz. They cannot taut Infniti as the "Japanese brand" with all this mulatto mixing. The M35 diesel already uses a truck engine from Renault. To me at this rate, just stop selling the brand if the HEART of the cars will not be from Japan.

Why not slap the GT-R mechanical s in a car of theirs? Slap the 5.6 in the G37. I rather they slap the JDM NIsmo parts on their own cars like they did the G37 IPL then go German or French.

Its odd they try to taut performance still when they don't out-perform the leaders and their own IPL head said they see no reason in selling true AMG/F/M/RS competitors.

There's no way in hell I would buy a GS if the heart of soul of the car was from another brand.
I sort of agree. I think they should use their own 5.6 and put it into the G to make a real F/M/AMG competitor. Also, an Infiniti Essence flagship coupe to compete with the LFA is something they can completely do, by using the GT-R underpinnings and by adding refinement and loaded luxury features. I don't really see why they have to be co-dependent on MB for anything or vice/versa.
Old 12-06-10, 09:41 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Just doesn't make any sense.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lame. If I want AMG I will get a real Benz.
Originally Posted by speedflex
Well, like anything else of this nature it sounds like a rumor and until there's something more substantial I'll treat it as hearsay.
These pretty much sum up my opinion/feelings on this article.
Old 12-06-10, 11:12 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If anything, please get Nismo on board. Having AMG parts on Infiniti doesn't make any sense.
Old 12-06-10, 11:34 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

what the... no more VQ37VHR ???
Old 12-06-10, 11:39 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silly idea. There are better alternatives
Old 12-06-10, 12:50 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That is strange. Infiniti has a v8 making 420hp now which is tops in class that could be stuffed in a hot G37 and many would be very happy about that even if they may have to make the v8 a little smaller to fit. I don't see why they need AMG powerplants in Infiniti's when their v8 already makes impressive numbers unless they are looking to switch to FI v8s.

Infiniti VQ v6 makes the most hp in class even though they are not the quickest, get pretty poor fuel economy, and are rough and thrashy when driven hard. Mercedes v6 are lowest in hp/performance in class by a good amount, doubt many Infiniti buyers want tuned Mercedes v6 over VQs in hotter Infiniti's unless the next generation of Mercedes v6 are going to be knockouts. I would say Infiniti buyers really want the GTR motor in their hot Infiniti's over AMG powerplants, we all know that engine can really perform in the GTR.
Old 12-06-10, 08:25 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

I doubt this will happen. The only reason this would happen is for Nissan/Infiniti to save on development costs. They don't need Mercedes engines since nissan/infiniti have great engines to work with.

If Infiniti did use Mercedes engines, most people would not know the difference and I'm sure most people wouldn't care.
Old 12-06-10, 09:21 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hold up, aren't they using mercedes engine in the G25? Where is that article i read? someone might remember.

Quick Reply: AMG power for hot Infinitis