Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Lexus IS F (Revised)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 10:53 AM
LexFather

Cool 2011 Lexus IS F (Revised)

It is very encouraging to see Lexus continuously invest and update this car and I am not talking about the LEDs:P The 2010 IS F gained a mechanical LSD and for 2011 it gets a revised suspension and its own gauge cluster with the tach in the middle as well as other small differences.

I feel this deserves its own thread and is a testament to Lexus looking after enthusiasts.

Alacantra added to the inside of the seats

Namely, Lexus has tackled the ride and handling. We found the IS F to be something of a punishing ride off the track and lacking the utterly intuitive steering of the M3. The folks at Lexus apparently agreed and set their engineers at righting those wrongs. To that end, they've revised all the spring rates and shock settings as well as the rear bushings and camber angle, all in the name of improved ride comfort and responsiveness. They also set about tweaking the electric power steering system to improve steering feel and driver control.

Unfortunately, Lexus also caved to recent allegations of electronic gremlins and installed a brake override function on the IS F, likely putting an end to power-braking launches and other such shenanigans.

Topping things off, Lexus also did a little sprucing up inside the car and out. Outside, the 2011 IS F gets some trendy LED daytime running lights while the interior is treated to new gauges, a silver-trimmed steering wheel, "dark finish aluminum" trim and a "Sport" button relocated from the center stack to the steering wheel. Cars ordered with the black interior now get seats with leather bolsters and Alcantara inserts to better hold you in turns. The Terra Cotta interior is out, replaced with a new orange and black leather interior package.

Note the "Lexus" name has been dropped from the IS/GS/GX/LX. Emblem and model name only

Old 09-03-10, 11:07 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-03-10, 11:15 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I'll take your and +1 to that.
Old 09-03-10, 11:19 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+2, but I still think the front looks busy....
Old 09-03-10, 11:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The optional wheels look hardcore. I love them. The ISF is still a rare bird.
Old 09-03-10, 11:52 AM
madoka
Pole Position

Personally, I'm not that into the new gauges and the new wheels look a lot more unattractive to me. I do like the new center console color and the sport button being moved to the steering wheel is long overdo.

As for the ride being harsh. . . I always felt it was overstated. My Cayman S is WAY more harsh than my IS F, but you NEVER hear anything about that. Probably because you expect Lexus to be soft and comfortable and Porsche to be taunt. I think perception and expectation is playing a larger role than they care to admit.
Old 09-03-10, 11:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice suspension tuning and changes.
I took a test ride a year or so ago and the ride was brutal with the roads in my area.
Now I'm a big fan even though I'm not a quad exhaust fan.
Old 09-03-10, 11:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madoka
Personally, I'm not that into the new gauges and the new wheels look a lot more unattractive to me. I do like the new center console color and the sport button being moved to the steering wheel is long overdo.

As for the ride being harsh. . . I always felt it was overstated. My Cayman S is WAY more harsh than my IS F, but you NEVER hear anything about that. Probably because you expect Lexus to be soft and comfortable and Porsche to be taunt. I think perception and expectation is playing a larger role than they care to admit.
Agreed, Goes to this quote.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/au...s/22LEXUS.html

More than any luxury car maker, Lexus has been stereotyped, sometimes crudely, as the antiperformance brand, the epitome of masterfully built but soporific and soulless cars. Yet when Lexus does manage to create a car like the IS-F, a wildly fun-to-drive sport sedan, enthusiasts turn the argument around and question why any Lexus buyer would want one.
Having recently rode in a Cayman and IS F back to back on an autocross the Cayman is obviously harsher even with smaller wheels. Damn that thing handles though

Old 09-03-10, 12:02 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm liking these upgrades!
Old 09-03-10, 12:05 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

LSD was added in 2010 right?

When the IS-F came out, I know we all gasped at the boyish looks, but it has really grown on me. Looks better than the 250/350 now.

I wish they called it the F button instead of the sport button.
Old 09-03-10, 12:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the changes are worthwhile including the gauge cluster (Porsche-like), at least from what I'm reading and seeing here.
Old 09-03-10, 12:28 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMO, the changes are worthwhile including the gauge cluster (Porsche-like), at least from what I'm reading and seeing here.
Yes nice updates, I like these wheels. Now if only the rear spoiler & exhaust tips didn't look like a bolt-on from J.C. Whitney. Hmm I wonder where Lexus can find more integrated looking replacements...
Attached Thumbnails 2011 Lexus IS F (Revised)-dsc00586.jpg  
Old 09-03-10, 12:46 PM
jason60050
Driver

Absolutely Love it!!! Time to sell my GS and move into the 2011 IS-F!!!
Old 09-03-10, 01:20 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Great new 2011 IS commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqYJ...layer_embedded

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Yes nice updates, I like these wheels. Now if only the rear spoiler & exhaust tips didn't look like a bolt-on from J.C. Whitney. Hmm I wonder where Lexus can find more integrated looking replacements...
+1
This has been a problem with lexus for years. Straight back to my IS300 with the rear spoiler. Its just like this huge piece of plastic on top.

although bmw has the same problem with the 3 series.

versus something nice from MB, like on the C class
Old 09-03-10, 01:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Speaking of tacked-on and jacked-up, have you looked at the 3rd brake light on the IS-F, really no valid excuse for it, maybe they will fix it.

Quick Reply: 2011 Lexus IS F (Revised)