Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Warranty Supplement

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 04:58 AM
mmmrodge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Warranty Supplement

Does anyone have a copy of the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Warranty Supplement?

I had a minor accident and my insurance company is giving me the run around about aftermarket parts. Specifically a radiator and condenser. I am wondering if it will void my CPO warranty if they use aftermarket parts.

For example - the radiator fails, car overheats and engine blows. The cause is found that the aftermarket radiator failed causing my engine to blow. Lexus may refuse to repair engine due to aftermarket parts failure.

Anyone have any backup saying that it needs to be repaired with OEM parts?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-10, 06:01 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Aftermarket parts are unacceptable (IMO) for collision repair, and yes, they will void the warranty if it's related in any way to aftermarket parts. Most, if not all, insurance companies will guarantee to repair your car to "pre-collision" condition. Obviously, aftermarket parts will NOT return your car to pre-collision condition. Unfortunately, you signed a document stating that it was ok for your insurance company to use aftermarket parts. (all insurance companies have these documents.) So, you may not have a leg to stand on other than the guarantee from your insurance company. I would not let my insurance company install aftermarket parts on my car as I could prove to them that my car is not being repaired to pre-collision condition. If you're dealing with Geico, good luck.
Old 04-26-10, 09:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

agree, why aftermarket? only factory parts
Old 04-26-10, 12:21 PM
mmmrodge
Driver

Yeah its BS. Its Mass state law that they return it to pre-collision state. They say the new aftermarket parts are better than used OEM - I disagree. They say the aftermarket company is responsible for warrantying their parts. I looked at the warranty - for radiators lifetime warranty if the coolant is flushed every year (whos gonna pay for that?) and for the a/c condenser - for the warranty to be in effect you need to replace the compressor, drier and flush the lines. lol my ins company doesnt want to replace all of those parts.

so finally after arguing with the appraiser for 20 mins or so he said well have the collision center assess the quality of the parts, if he feels that they arent rugged enough or arent to the standard of OEM then I can do something. Basically saying order those parts, he will inspect them and say they arent good enough. We will see when the parts come in.

I rubbed him the wrong way when I said come on we are talking about a $50k car here and we are arguing over $500 - pocket change hahah. He was upset.
Old 04-26-10, 01:42 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

If, after negotiating with your insurance company, they still won't replace the parts with OEM, I would step up and pay the difference. That's how important it is to NOT have aftermarket parts on your car. Afterwords, I would drop your insurance company.
Old 04-28-10, 05:31 AM
mmmrodge
Driver

after aruguing for 30 mins with the appraiser, the aftermarket parts came in, they inspected them and found differences. OEM parts have been ordered!
Old 04-28-10, 08:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

after this, time to change insurance company
Old 04-28-10, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Some aftermarket parts are comparable to OEM...others aren't. It can be very difficult and complex to tell the difference or to know, in advance, which ones are and which aren't. Insurance companies sometimes encourage the use of aftermarket parts because they are usually cheaper.......auto manufacturers really make a killing on replacement parts.

Just how much of a killing, I remember, once, from a study that was made on a Chevrolet Impala....the car would cost some ten times as much from a conglomeration of individually-purchased parts than if it was bought in the conventional manner, off the assembly line. That may or may not apply to today's Lexus parts, but the general idea is clear.
Old 04-28-10, 05:49 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some aftermarket parts are comparable to OEM...others aren't. It can be very difficult and complex to tell the difference or to know, in advance, which ones are and which aren't. Insurance companies sometimes encourage the use of aftermarket parts because they are usually cheaper.......auto manufacturers really make a killing on replacement parts.
I don't agree at all. I've been in the business tool long and have seen up close and personal, the best aftermarket CAPA certified parts and they are absolute junk compared to OEM parts. There is no comparison. I've worked with CAPA parts and OEM parts and to say that some aftermarket parts are decent is incorrect. Anybody that works on these cars will tell you that. I've seen it a thousand times, the absolute garbage that insurance companies will put on a car. I've seen Geico put a Chinese import, $29.00 fender on a brand spanking new Camry. It didn't even fit but we had to ship it because Geico refused to pay for even a CAPA part. Customer wasn't too happy. Since our shop was a Geico ARX shop, we had to eat the new OEM part to make it right. It never seizes to amaze me what insurance companies get away with. I just wish the general public were more educated about it. Let's be honest, most times, when a customer picks up their car from a body shop, as long as the car is "un-crashed", they're happy.
No, Sir, there's no such thing as a decent aftermarket part.
Old 04-28-10, 09:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I don't agree at all. I've been in the business tool long and have seen up close and personal, the best aftermarket CAPA certified parts and they are absolute junk compared to OEM parts. There is no comparison. I've worked with CAPA parts and OEM parts and to say that some aftermarket parts are decent is incorrect. Anybody that works on these cars will tell you that. I've seen it a thousand times, the absolute garbage that insurance companies will put on a car. I've seen Geico put a Chinese import, $29.00 fender on a brand spanking new Camry. It didn't even fit but we had to ship it because Geico refused to pay for even a CAPA part. Customer wasn't too happy. Since our shop was a Geico ARX shop, we had to eat the new OEM part to make it right. It never seizes to amaze me what insurance companies get away with. I just wish the general public were more educated about it. Let's be honest, most times, when a customer picks up their car from a body shop, as long as the car is "un-crashed", they're happy.
No, Sir, there's no such thing as a decent aftermarket part.

Well, wouldn't you say that some (not all) OEM parts are "Aftermarket" in the sense that they originate from various sub-contractors and suppliers? That was one of the points that I was trying to make.

I've been in the business too long
Which particular buisness are you referring to? Body shop, insurance, or actual production/manufacture of parts?

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-28-10 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-29-10, 04:55 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Well, wouldn't you say that some (not all) OEM parts are "Aftermarket" in the sense that they originate from various sub-contractors and suppliers? That was one of the points that I was trying to make.
I was speaking in context to the original post, which was specifically speaking of aftermarket crash parts. Parts that are not authorized for use by the manufacturer. Even CAPA certified crash parts are not authorized for use by the manufacturer. It's not because the manufacturer wants you to purchase *their* part, it's because the quality of aftermarket parts is so poor that the car cannot be returned to original condition with the use of them. If you could work in a body shop for just one week, you would be in shock at how your car is repaired by your insurance company.
Which particular buisness are you referring to? Body shop, insurance, or actual production/manufacture of parts?
I've worked in the business for over 25 years, mostly at a dealer level. I've worked in Lexus certified repair facilities (body shop) working closely with insurance companies and coordinating parts for repair. My specialty has been in Toyota and Lexus parts. I've done everything possible in a dealership parts department. I work behind the scenes that most people don't see. There's one thing that most people don't understand and it's the fact that body shops don't repair cars, insurance companies do, and the reality of how they repair your car is astounding. I no longer do that aspect of parts because I couldn't sleep at night knowing what I know.