Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next gen M3 to get TT I6 motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 03:15 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
That's why I wrote it. I like the m3 but for 70k no way. BMW needs to lower the pricing
Have you driven one?
Old 03-24-10, 05:55 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Have you driven one?
Driven one or not, I don't think it's too unreasonable to assign 70k as simply too high a cost for a compromised daily driver (and it's easy to get up to 70k on the M3 - I remember when it first showed up on the configurator, optioning it out similarly to my F easily got it past 70k while still lacking some features on my F). The bottom line is that the M3 is still an entry level lux car, just like the F is still an IS - and it takes a lot of performance to convince even serious enthusiasts that an entry-level sedan is worth 50k+. Frankly I think the F is already borderline at 60k, although of course I got mine at a significant discount from MSRP. 70k would just be ridiculous.
Old 03-24-10, 06:49 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
Driven one or not, I don't think it's too unreasonable to assign 70k as simply too high a cost for a compromised daily driver (and it's easy to get up to 70k on the M3 - I remember when it first showed up on the configurator, optioning it out similarly to my F easily got it past 70k while still lacking some features on my F). The bottom line is that the M3 is still an entry level lux car, just like the F is still an IS - and it takes a lot of performance to convince even serious enthusiasts that an entry-level sedan is worth 50k+. Frankly I think the F is already borderline at 60k, although of course I got mine at a significant discount from MSRP. 70k would just be ridiculous.
I agree with you. 70k isnt too reasonable but I don't really see anything in that 70k range that can compare with M3. But that's purely my opinion.
Old 04-07-10, 12:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

got this from another bmw forum. as mentioned, it's mostly about emission (same thing for f10 m5 with the tt v8). sux, but you gotta do what you gotta do i guess

i definitely hope they keep at least the same kind of hp number (and probably more low end tq), and most importantly take out some weight.

also very interesting that they might be going with a tt v6 instead of i6!!

acing increasingly strict emissions regulations in Europe and stringent fuel economy standards in North America, BMW confirmed late yesterday that its next-generation M3 will be powered by a turbocharged six-cylinder engine rather than the V8 currently under the high-performance 3-Series’ hood. BMW’s M Group boss also hinted that the next-generation 1-Series will indeed offer an E30 M3-inspired M variant.

According to Motor Trend, BMW’s M Group CEO, Ludwig Willisch, told a media roundtable that the next-generation M3, due in about 2013, will be forced to move to a high-power turbocharged six-cylinder. The M3, initially offered with a four-cylinder in its first iteration, was powered by a high-performance six-cylinder motor for its second and third generations, but the current M3 is powered by a 4.0-liter V8 based on the M5’s V10.
Willisch wouldn’t confirm if it will be a single or twin-turbo powerplant powering the next M3, but he did say that the engine will not be based on the 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline-six currently used in the 335i. BMW is apparently considering a V6, according to Willisch, who said that the V-configuration would yield a more compact engine that could be butted up against the firewall. He also indicated that the next-generation M3 might not be more powerful than the current, 414-horsepower car. The next-generation M3 will shed some weight and gain a more flexible powertrain.
Willisch also confirmed our earlier report that the next-generation 1-Series will offer a high-performance, M-designed model. Though it isn’t expected to be called M1, the 1-Series M will, at least in BMW’s eyes, reincarnate the first-generation “E30″ M3 offered in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Expect power to hover in the 300-horsepower range thanks to a turbocharged four-cylinder.
It’s expected that the M5 will also move down to a high-power six-cylinder or a V8.
Old 04-07-10, 07:38 AM
LexFather

Well yall might need to keep those M3 V-8s....classic coupes with a V-8= WIN WIN WIN!!

Old 04-07-10, 08:23 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well yall might need to keep those M3 V-8s....classic coupes with a V-8= WIN WIN WIN!!
oh you know I am.
Old 04-07-10, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
hey mike, want to take over my car after my lease?