Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Lincoln MKT

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2010 Lincoln MKT

By non-CL request, a Review of the 2010 Lincoln MKT.

http://www.lincoln.com/mkt/home.asp

In a Nutshell: Frumpy-looking, but versatile, reasonably well-finished, and competent.

I received a special request from a non-CL member (one of my ex co-workers), for a Lincoln MKT review, as he is seriously interested in one. I will share my findings here with any CL members who might (?) be interested in it as well.....though the vehicle doesn't seem to have attracted much CL attention. There HAS been a considerable amount of CL interest, however, in Ford's new Ecoboost engine, though. Since EcoBoost-equipped MKTs are readily available on dealer lots (unlike the Taurus SHO and Flex EcoBoost models, which are special-order only), I reviewed a standard-engine MKT and then check-tested an Ecoboost model to compare the two engines and wheel/tire packages for ride/handling (there were significant differences, as I'll get into later).

The all-new MKT, market-wise and size-size, fits in between Lincoln's smaller MKX and the larger Navigator. The smaller MKX is taken from the Ford Edge SUV platform, and generally retains the basic exterior styling of the Edge (the same platform is also used for the Mazda CX-7 SUV). The larger Navigator, like the previous Navigator, is taken from the full-sized Ford F-series pickup truck platform. The Navigator, like the rival Cadillac Escalade, has always been popular with pro athletes, entertainers, and Rap singers, and both vehicles have become status symbols with the show-off Bling Crowd.

So, in between, size-wise, fits the MKT, which is loosely taken from the shoe-box-square Ford Flex platform, but, unlike the smaller MKX, differs radically in body style from the shoe-box-square Flex styling. Lincoln stylists obviously wanted to make much more of a distinction between the MKT/Flex than was the case with the smaller Edge/MKX. I'll go into the details of the MKT's styling more below.

For 2010, two versions of the MKT are offered......MKT and MKT Ecoboost. The base version comes with a Duratec 3.7L V6 of 268 HP, and a choice of FWD or AWD. Ecoboost versions come with the 3.5L twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 with 355 HP, and standard AWD (both engines, curiously, get the same EPA milege, and both, according to the Lincoln people, can run on either regular or premium, with only a slight power loss with regular). Both versions use the same 6-speed paddle-shift automatic (which I wasn't terribly impressed with). Base models get 19" wheels/tires, with 20" as an option......Ecoboost models get the 20s.

For the main review, I chose a silver, AWD, base 3.7L with black leather interior and nice walnut trim. Since 3.5L EcoBoost models were readily available at this dealership, I decided, while the chance was available, to test-drive one of those as well, to gauge the difference between the two and see if it was worth the extra money for the EcoBoost package. Base MKT FWD models start at 44K, AWD models at 46K, and base EcoBoost models around 49K. My base-model review car listed at just under 53K; my check-tested EcoBoost model over 58K, so Ecoboost models with options can get pricey. Of course, even the base model, starting over 46k, is not cheap either....you're not talking econobox prices here.

So......what do these two vehicles actually give you for your hard-earned money?

Read on.

Model Reviewed: 2010 Lincoln MKT AWD

Base Price: $46,195 (Ecoboost, )

Options:

Rapid Spec Package: $4000

All-Weather Floor Mats: $75

Class III Towing Package: $595

Adaptive Collision-Warning Cruise Control: $1295

Destination/Freight: $795 (reasonable for a luxury car)

List Price as Reviewed: $52,955

Drivetrain: AWD, 3.7L Duratec V6 engine, 268 HP @ 6250 RPM, Torque, 267 Ft-lbs. @ 4250 RPM,
6-speed automatic Sport-Shift transmission with paddle-shifters.

Ecoboost: 3.5L, twin-turbo V6, 355 HP @ 5700 RPM, Torque, 350 ft-lbs. @ 3500 RPM

EPA Mileage Rating: 16 City, 22 Highway / Ecoboost: 16 City, 22 Highway

Exterior Color: Ingot Silver Metallic

Interior: Charcoal Black Leather/Walnut-Swirl Wood Trim.

PLUSSES:

Strong Ecoboost twin-turbo V6....but weight and transmission hampers performance.

Both standard V6 and Ecoboost engines run on either regular or premium fuel.
(at least that's what the Lincoln people said)

Ecoboost gets same EPA mileage as the less-powerful standard V6.

Nice fore-aft transmission shifter with no zig-zags.

Relatively good wind noise/road noise control.

Generally good ride comfort with 19" wheels/tires.

Relatively good steering response with optional 20" wheels/tires.

Solid body sheet metal.

Good underhood layout for a luxury car.

Some nice paint-color choices.

Well-done exterior mirrors.

Nice, but not superb stereo sound quality.

Relatively simple stereo/climate buttons/*****.

Relatively nice seat leather.

Several interior leather/wood/metallic trim choices.

Nice, attractive, well-finished primary gauges.

Nice interior trim and fit/finish.

Clever, versatile third-row seat folding.

Roomy cargo area with 2nd and 3rd-row seats folded.

Several different entry-systems possible.

6/70 Powertrain and 4/50 Bumper-to-Bumper LIncoln warranties better than on other Ford products.

MINUSES:

Heavy vehicle weight/drag blunts performance.

6-speed automatic not well-integrated with either engine.

Some exhaust noise with both engines.....more with Ecoboost.

Relatively poor steering response with standard 19" wheels/tires.

Ride comfort drops with optional 20" wheels/tires.

Cheap, flimsy-feeling, flat-black paddle-shifters.

Brake pedal too high above the gas pedal.

Quirky-looking (IMO), egg-crate/tooth-brace grille.

Frumpy-looking (IMO) rear-end.

Peep-hole vision out the rear window (but the rear-camera helps).

Standard paint jobs OK but not quite luxury-car grade.

Extra-cost for Candy Red and White Platinum paint jobs.

No standard splash guards to protect lower-body panels.

No body-side moulding to protect from parking-lot dings.

Front seat comfort OK, but lacks side support.

Firm, rather uncomforable rear seat.

Dash surfaces too hard for a luxury car.

Hard-to-pull cargo cover-shade.

Huge rear lift-hatch requires a lot of space to clear.

Temporary spare tire.

Brand-new model introduction....no previous reliability record.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the Lincoln MKT, one is immediately struck by the fact that this does not look like any other Lincoln.....or Ford/Mercury product. Though the basic platform, as I stated above, comes from the squarish Ford Flex, there is almost nothing in the MKT's exterior to remind you of that. While it is not the ugliest vehicle I've seen, I can't honestly say that I am a fan of the MKT's styling. The big, smiley, chrome split-grille, with the Lincoln star-logo in the middle, has the classic Lincoln egg-crate/waterfall design, but somehow, in the MKT, it ends up looking like a grinning teeny-bopper showing off a new set of tooth-braces. The frumpy (IMO) rear end looks something like that of a Chrysler PT Cruiser, but, of course, larger, and has a full-width red-tailight assembly across the whole hatch width. The sheet metal on the doors, hood, and hatch is generally heavy and solid, though the doors don't seem to close with much of a solid "thunk". There are no body-side moldings to help prevent parking-lot dings (an increasingly cost-cutting tendency among automakers); nor are there any standard splash-guards to help protect the lower-body paint. You could probably order splash guards, however, as a dealer-instaled accessory (or just buy a cheap aftermarket set), and standard black lower-body cladding does help protect the paint to some extent.

The twin outside mirrors, overall, are probably the best I've seen on a Ford product in a long time, with none of the usual Ford flimsiness in the plastic housings or difficulty of manual snap/swivel locking into place. The mirrors were well-shaped, large enough to get a good field of vision, and the quality of the plastic housings and ease of swivel/lock were comparable to the some of best of Japanese models. The paint job was OK, but not quite up to luxury-car standards, lacking a little in both gloss and, on the darker colors, freedom from orange-peel. The color choice, as usual, was a little on the dull side, but there are (IMO) two nice colors....White Platinum Metallic and Candy Red Garnet, which, unfortunately, cost extra, Euro-style. The entire roof, which included sunroof housing/panels, was given a darkish gray/black color which contrasted with most of the body colors (why they gave it a blackcolor, I don't know, as black is notorious for holding heat). The MKT (and a number of Lincolns) have several different door-entry systems. You can use the touch-pad buttons on the door frame, a regular key, the remote unlock, or, with the electronic fob in your presence, just sweep your hand over the pad-buttons.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the rather solid-feeling hood, and, of course, two nice gas struts hold it up for you. There is a nice underhood insulation pad for engine quietness (it generally works, but there is exhaust noise...more on that later). The basic underhood layout with both engines is pretty good, although the extra turbo components of the EcoBoost take up more of the available space. Both engine blocks fit in adequately, with some room to spare. Though you have the ubiquitous plastic engine cover (there's no getting around that with luxury cars), there is space around the edges of the engine block to reach things, and the battery is nicely exposed, without a cover, and easy to reach. The dipsticks, reservoirs, and filler caps are generally accessable.

INTERIOR:

The MKT's interior, as expected, looks nothing like that of the Flex, whose platform it was taken from. Nor is it anything like that of its brothers MKX, MKZ, and Navigator, which all have the square/rectangle-based traditional Lincoln apparance inside. The MKT's interior seems to be an attempt to integrate a semi-sport, high-tech, and traditional look all at once, though the nice traditional wood paneling and chrome trim does let you know, to some extent, that you are in a Lincoln.

The stereo sound quality is nice, but not up in the Lexus Mark-Levinson class by any means. I played something a little different today...instead of the usual Heavy Metal/hard rock, some funky stuff by the King of Soul, the late James Brown (I've got his Greatest Hits CD). The stereo and climate-control buttons, even with the NAV in my test car, were all simple, easy to see and use, and and could be operated with a minimum of fuss or distraction from the road. Kudos to Lincoln, here, for putting a control system in a luxury car that is both easy to use and effective, with no awkward joy-sticks, dash-controllers, I-Drive videos, or STAR-WARS-Type devices. I wish all of today's luxury cars could be like this. The seat leather was fairly nice, but a little grainy, and the front seats, though fairly comfortable, lacked some side-support. The firm rear seat cushions were not very comfortable for a luxury vehicle, but not bad considering their versatility and need to fold down for added cargo space. Headroom and legroom, in general, was OK both front and rear for tall people. The primary gauges, in attractive chrome-trimmed circular tunnels, were generally clear and easy to read. Most of the interior hardware was well-done and of reasonably good quality. The wood and chrome trim was well-done and had good fit/finish...two different wood colors, a woven-metallic pattern, and three different leather colors are available. The dash-surface is a little plain and hard-feeling for a luxury vehicle, but most of the other surfaces, and the insides of the door panels, were appropriate for the class. The steering wheel has nice matching wood trim, but I didn't care for the four-spoke shape...I generally prefer the three-spoke. The leather stiching on the sides and bottom of the wheel was generally comfortable to hold, without uncomfortable bumps. The only thing I really didn't like inside were the cheap, flimsy, flat-black plastic paddle-shifters on the steering column...they felt like they were about to fall off. Those, BTW, are the same cheap paddles that Ford puts on the new Taurus, so they seem to come out of the Ford parts-bin. Ford needs to toss those dime-store paddles and put on some better ones......and they are often needed, because the automatic transmission does not seem well-integrated with the engine in full-auto mode (more on that below). Also, the turn-signal stalk, on the left side of the steering column, is mounted a little high for quick finger-tip access, but not enough, IMO, for a complaint.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The cargo area had some surprises, both good and bad. The huge, frumpy-shaped hatch-lid, with a power-assist, needs a lot of room to swing back and up out of the way. Once up, the cargo area itself is pretty well-finished in a nice grade of black carpeting on the floor and part of the walls. The down-slope of the hatch/rear roofline impacts a little on the cargo area space efficiency (it is not as square and efficient as in the Ford Flex). But there is still plenty of luggage room with the third-row seats folded.....even more, of course, with the second-seats folded as well. The third-row seats, like those of many SUVs this size, are better-served for children or small adults than for big guys like me, but these third-row seats have some clever mechanisms/hinges built into the hardware that allow them to fold forward, backwards, or flat for a choice of several different configurations. A cargo pull-shade is provided to hide things in the trunk from prying eyes, but the third-row seat-belts have to be clipped out of the way for it, and the
hardware/roll-spring mechanism for it is so stiff that you have to be Hulk Hogan to pull it back and fit the tabs into the locking wall-slots for it. I was able to do it without too many problems, but it could be a real handful for a person with weak arms/hands/shoulders or arthritis. Under the floor, of course, was the ubiquitous temporary-spare tire, which, as usual, I complained about in a vehicle of this price. In this case, though, the spare tire turned out to be the subject of an interesting converation I had with the Lincoln salespeople. They claim that the reason you see so many temporary spares today, instead of real spares, is that it is actually a Federal requirement for new vehicles built and sold on American soil, and has been since 1980. Also, according to them, back then (1980), foreign-badged vehicles, even if built and sold in America, were not covered by this rule. Now, legally, they can offer a real spare only if not built in an American plant (except for purpose-built off-road vehicles). This is the first time I've ever heard of a rule like that, so I'm going to take it with a grain of salt, especially from auto-salespeople, who are notorious for bull-s***ing. But, they just might (?) have a point.....I noticed that the 2010 Lexus ES350 I recently reviewed had a real spare, but it was a $205 option, not standard.

ON THE ROAD:

Both V6s are started up with a engine START/STOP button and the ignition fob in the vicinity. Both idle smoothly and quietly, but have some exhaust noise as you accelerate...the EcoBoost has noticeably more noise out the tailpipe. The standard V6 has adequate power for normal driving, but the vehicles's weight takes its toll on performance....you don't get much of a shove in the back. The EcoBoost, of course, adds a considerable amount of both HP and torque, and the difference is noticeable. The EcoBoost's twin-turbo system also helps to minimalize turbo lag....the power comes on pretty quickly. But, still, the car's weight makes itself noticeable, even to some extent, with the EcoBoost.

And it's not just necessarily the weight. The 6-speed Sport-shift automatic, despite the flexibility of the 6 gears, does not seem well-integrated with the engine's power curves. Even in full-auto mode, upshifts in the lower gears seem delayed more than necessary, producing more RPM but little more acceleration. Going to manual Sport-Shift mode and using the paddles, of course, stops that behavior, but then, of course, you have those cheap, flimsy, awkward-operating paddles to contend with. Lincoln needs to do some fine-tuning with the drivetrain. But the shift lever itself was well-done, had a straight fore-aft motion with no annoying zig-zags, felt smooth and slick, and had the added benefit of not having to jerk it sideways and bump it to get into the manual-shift mode....just pull it straight back into "M".

The road manners are determined, to a noticeable extent, by which model you have. The base model, with 19" tires, showed slightly better ride comfort, but slower, more sluggish steering response and slightly more body roll. The EcoBoost model, with the 20" tires, had noticeably better, quicker steering response and less body roll, but was also noticeably firmer and noisier over bumps. Wind noise was well-controlled in both versions, and road noise was generally well-controlled, but, of course, slightly higher with the 20" tires. The brakes were generally smooth, even, and effective, without a lot of pedal sponginess, but I didn't care for the placement of the brake pedal.....noticeably higher than the gas pedal. As with a number of vehicles, it causes my big size-15 circus-clown shoes to catch the underside of the pedal if I'm not careful lifting my foot off the gas. The standard power-adjustable pedals (with memory feature) allow you to change their distance from the seat, but only both at once....you cannot adjust one in relation to the other. Lincoln says that they do that (keep the brake pedal higher) to keep some drivers from hitting both the gas and brake at the same time, and causing unintended-acceleration. I won't comment on that...perhaps it is better for some people, but not for my big shoes.

THE VERDICT:

The MKT seems to be best-suited for those who like the Ford Flex (whose platform, as I said earlier, it is derived from), and are willing to spend more for a plusher interior, more equipment, sleeker styling, slightly less cargo-space efficiency due to the styling, and, of course, the panache of the Lincoln nameplate. I personally find both the front and rear-end styling to be awkward, but that, of course, is a subjective matter.

The basic design is generally well-done. Interior fit/finish is well-done, though the paint job could be a little better. The control-layout design is generally excellent...much better then most other luxury cars. Underhood access also is quite good for a luxury car. The 3rd-row seat-fold design is quite clever, and will help meet a variety of passenger/cargo needs.

But some quirks need to be addressed. The shift-paddle quality is a joke. The engine/transmission co-ordination, with both engines, needs some fine-tuning. The WWF-grade cargo pull-shade needs a little easier action.....and a better way around the third-row seat belts. A little lower brake pedal, please, for big shoes. And do we really need to pay extra for nice paint colors?

There is also the question of the standard model vs. the EcoBoost, and if the EcoBoost's added price is justified. I'll leave some of that, of course, up to the individual buyer, but I myself would take the standard model, despite its lower power level and more-sluggish steering. It not only saves several thousand dollars, but also offers slight, but noticeably better ride comfort.....an important issue in my book. I'm not enough of an aggressive driver to need the EcoBoost's power very often, though it must be noted, as I said above, that the vehicle's weight and unresponsive transmission blunts some performance from both engines. Reliability, of course, is also an unknown factor, as this is a brand-new model design. First-year reliability for the Ford Flex, the basic MKT platform, has been average, according to Consumer Reports....but the MKT is more complex, with more equipment.

And...for those who don't need a third-row seat or the MKT's large interior, though, I'd recommend taking a look at the smaller MKX. I personally find its styling to be less-quirky, its plush, well-finished interior more basic-Lincoln-like, and, of course, its price lower. But a possible glitch with the MKX is the worse-than-average reliability record of the AWD models. FWD models are much better....above average, according to Consumer Reports.

As always, Happy Shopping.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-19-09 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-19-09, 09:48 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this car is interesting, but I just can't get over how ugly the rear end is with the big tail lights that span across the entire hatch.

I applaud Lincoln for trying something different.

Great review as usual mmarshall.
Old 12-19-09, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
I think this car is interesting, but I just can't get over how ugly the rear end is with the big tail lights that span across the entire hatch.

I applaud Lincoln for trying something different.

Great review as usual mmarshall.
Thanks. I agree with you that the rear end is frumpy-looking. It also cuts into more cargo space than the square rear-end styling of th Ford Flex.
Old 12-19-09, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This, folks, will probably be my last review of the calender year. There are blizzard conditions here in D.C. (maybe up to 2 feet), and it will take several days to clean up. I've also got some stuff to take care of for the holidays, of course.

Come January, I'll probably start reviewing again, though the D.C. Auto show, which takes several days, comes up at the end of the month. Some of you, I know, will probably be going to the Detroit show in early January....I usually wait and go to D.C.

I do have plans, however, to review the new Ford Fiesta when it debuts next year.....I have a specific request for that.
Old 12-19-09, 04:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

one look at the pics (barf), and i decided tl;dr... thanks for the review anyway! i do see you said it's based on the flex, which i think is better looking.
Old 12-19-09, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
one look at the pics (barf), and i decided tl;dr... thanks for the review anyway! i do see you said it's based on the flex, which i think is better looking.
tl;dr? I don't quite follow you.

I had not planned on reviewing the MKT, but an old colleague of mine that I used to work with called me up and wanted my take on it. I had not seen one close-up, or driven one, before, as it is an all-new design just being introduced, so, I thought why not? The Lincoln rep I met was not only super-nice (he went out of his way to let me drive both versions long enough to get a reasonable take on them), but was also quite car-saavy (He would fit right in here on CAR CHAT). If my colleague decides on an MKT (or any other Lincoln-Mercury product), I will DEFINITELY refer him to this guy....he deserves to get the sale, even though I'm not convinced about his stories on the spare-tire regulation or brake-pedal height.

Styling, of course, is subjective, though I have to agree with you that the Flex is probably less-quirky in the looks department.....and the Flex's square rear end giver better cargo-space efficiency as well. But the MKT has a far plusher interior, and, in general, is a little more pleasant to sit and ride in, though the 20-inch tires do impede more on ride comfort than the 19s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-19-09 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-19-09, 04:50 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too Long; Didn't Read
Old 12-19-09, 07:41 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no no no and no
Old 12-19-09, 07:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lims407
no no no and no
Well, it is certainly not the vehicle for everyone.
Old 12-19-09, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shyguy16
Too Long; Didn't Read
About average in length for one of my reviews. I don't do quickies.
Old 12-19-09, 08:50 PM
LexFather

Nice review Mike. It seems you felt it was competent but not really leading here. We still disagree on the ECOBoost

Old 12-19-09, 09:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice review Mike.
Thanks.

It seems you felt it was competent but not really leading here. We still disagree on the ECOBoost
Yes, I know that some would prefer the EcoBoost model....I made that clear. I'm just not sure that, from my own point of view, it would be the better choice...the standard model rides better, costs less, has cheaper tires to replace, and has somewhat less exhaust/road noise. The heavy weight and unresponsive transmission of this vehicle also impacts the performance of both engines somewhat....but, of course, the EcoBoost is still noticeably stronger. The EcoBoost model DOES have better handling, but one does not normally buy this type of vehicle for sporty response (well, there's always the BMW X5)
Old 12-19-09, 09:25 PM
B Dot
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Interior-very nice
Exterior-not so much
Old 12-21-09, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by B Dot
Interior-very nice
Exterior-not so much
The all-black interior with walnut trim in my test car, IMO, was not as nice as the available two-tone interiors and lighter-tone woods.

Old 12-21-09, 09:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As usual nice review,Mike.
Not a fan of the vehicle at all.
When you get into the $50+K numbers,they're are better vehicles,IMO.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Lincoln MKT