Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Sonata Official Thread (Pricing announced)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 03:43 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
What the heck is this going to cost anyways ? I know I can purchase a camty LE auto for 18k all day long plus TTL....i would not pay more for this even with better mpg / hp. It is still a hyundai
I don't understand this "it's still a Hyundai" viewpoint. This car clearly looks like it's going to be significantly better than a Camry, yet you still wouldn't buy it because it's wearing a Hyundai badge? Huh?

People used to say the same thing about Toyota way back before it became truly successful. "Well that Toyota looks pretty good but I'd never drive a ToyAuto over my Ford!"
Old 12-02-09, 03:43 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

does it really look like solara? i really can't tell.
Old 12-02-09, 03:48 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

We've seen some photos of the new Sonata from Korea since its introduction there recently, but when you see it in person, it is truly striking. The design language was described by product planning director Scott Margason as "Fluidic Sculpture."
friends in Korea told me it looks beautiful in person.(all hyundai haters by the way). i'll believe them when i see it, but i'm liking the design even from the picture.
Old 12-02-09, 03:54 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Who slapped the Hyundai logo on the CTS interior?

Is it just me or does the front end of the car looks like it just went through a collision? Oh wait.
Old 12-02-09, 04:01 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

23 and 35 on a 200hp engine is pretty impressive for a car this size....I dont think the world needs more 300hp v6 family sedans.....anyhow

What the heck is this going to cost anyways ? I know I can purchase a camty LE auto for 18k all day long plus TTL....i would not pay more for this even with better mpg / hp. It is still a hyundai

spec wise, current camry can't come close to this. new sonata gets more mileage with more HP and torque, and it's few hundred pound lighter.

hyundai finally came up with something that will compete with the next gen camry/accord.
Old 12-02-09, 04:04 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by primecut
Who slapped the Hyundai logo on the CTS interior?

Is it just me or does the front end of the car looks like it just went through a collision? Oh wait.
Old 12-02-09, 04:08 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Design is totally meh. Looks like the offspring of a cls and a last generation es/camry, but the engineering is pretty damned impressive. Are you paying attention Toyota? 200hp from a 2.4l giving 23/35mpg. Wake up.

Not to mention they ought to be lauded for a car that is actually lighter than it's predecessor.
Old 12-02-09, 04:09 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.hyundaimedialive.com/Hyun...Show/index.php
Old 12-02-09, 04:15 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Rear looks Volkswagen CC-inspired. Overall shape is very slippery and attractive, but how's the headroom inside?
Old 12-02-09, 04:15 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

repost, but here are korean TV commercials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3cwlrpUopw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlcn6...eature=related
Old 12-02-09, 04:16 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by superchan7
Rear looks Volkswagen CC-inspired. Overall shape is very slippery and attractive, but how's the headroom inside?

While most of the Sonata's competitors have been growing steadily from one generation to the next, Hyundai has decided that the current model is large enough. Overall dimensions of the new YF Sonata are virtually the same as that of the model it is replacing. The biggest difference is in overall length (where it is less than an inch longer) and the wheelbase, which has grown by 2.6 inches to 110 inches. In spite of that sloping greenhouse, the YF only loses 0.4 inches of rear headroom as compared to the current model. This was achieved through a combination of scooping out the rear headliner and lowering the seat cushion slightly. We sat in the back and although the seating position is marginally lower than before, it didn't strike us as uncomfortably so. We'll have to judge it in more detail at a later date.

it's roomier than camry.
Old 12-02-09, 04:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

engine is definetly nice... its very in-your-face american design, i hope they dont try to sell this in europe, it wont fly...
Old 12-02-09, 04:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

23 and 35 on a 200hp engine is pretty impressive for a car this size....I dont think the world needs more 300hp v6 family sedans.....anyhow

Hyundai has force of weak Won behind it... it dropped 37% compared to Yen in past 2 years... basically, it makes it 37% cheaper to export cars compared to japan. Meaning they can price it competitivly. And probably that Toyota will move more production to outside Japan to mitigate costs.
Old 12-02-09, 04:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

interior is quite interesting, lots of lines and korean design, it looks better than simplistic camry/accord, but at the same time look closer and lots of black plastics and even the steering wheel is only half leather. I wonder how it is actually sitting inside, pics dont give justice to anything. I also wonder if European version will get a lot more complicated interior...
Old 12-02-09, 05:33 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it looks amazing. The interior design and quality look a class better than Accord and Camry. There's still many, many people with the "it's just a Hyundai" attitude, but I think this is the car that will really make skeptics "think about it"

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Official Thread (Pricing announced)