Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

July 2009 Auto Sales

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 05:03 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
Rumor has it that the current generation ES will be the last that shares a platform with the Camry. If that's true, then exactly which platform would it share? Most likely that of the GS.
Actually that move totally make sense to me...

ES: move to RWD, it'll be Lexus' conventional midsize luxury sedan and focus on luxury, like what the E-class is to MB.

GS: Will become a niche model and very likely will be a 4-door coupe, a direct competitor to the CLS

IS: Will grow in size to pave the way for the upcoming compact sedan/hatch, the current IS is already the smallest in its segment so becoming bigger shouldn't create any drama...

HS: Stay as the hybrid-only model, it is Lexus' Prius, simple as that. Just because Camry has a hybrid model I don't see that hurting Prius' sales so even if with the IS getting a hybrid I don't see it become a big impact on the HS. The HS will ride its "green" status all the way to the bank for Lexus just like Prius did for Toyota.
Old 08-03-09, 05:06 PM
LexFather

What year are we in? It does not change the fact that the GS' sales is being cannibalized by the ES. It's because of how Lexus has organized their sedan line up (which is going to become even more confusing with the HS, and if the next IS gets a hybrid and grows larger, it'll be worse). The ES is larger yet cheaper, and I have seen it in person, the confusion people get when cross shopping between the two.

Rumor has it that the current generation ES will be the last that shares a platform with the Camry. If that's true, then exactly which platform would it share? Most likely that of the GS. The GS' position is already hard to define in the line up with the two sharing separate platforms, imagine how hard it'll be to justify the GS if they share the same platform.

The GS is in an awkward position. I don't know why you're even arguing with me. It's the one thing I love about Lexus and one of my favorite cars in the world. I'm not insulting Lexus, I'm disappointed in them for not allowing the GS to shine.
Most of us here agree the 3GS is not the homerun the 2GS was. The IS is sportier and the ES is larger. However the GS still has its place in the lineup and its not going anywhere. The IS is actually based off the GS now FYI, the first gen IS had its own platform.
The ES will more than likely continue to share platforms with the Camry as teh new RX does and it will continue to get more refined with a hybrid/AWD probably coming next go round.
The GS fights the 5/E etc. It drives like a bigger IS not anything like the ES. The ES has its core buyers who want something like a LS but more affordable.

Your hypothesis is just that, a hypothesis. It has merit as we have discussed how the ES may take some GS sales away. However I feel the COMPETITION has stepped up against the 3GS whereas with the 2GS it was really just the 5/E/GS. Today we have those cars and now the very good A6, XF, M35/45, MKZ, S80, RL.

I do know having driven both extensively they are nothing alike. The new GS will grow in size and hopefully be a hit like the 2GS was.

Amazingly the 2006 GS outsold any year of the 98-05 GS.

I agree that hopefully the GS "shines" more than this model next go round.

GS-F anyone?

Old 08-03-09, 05:08 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the GS is getting butt raped. slowest selling next to the RL.
it's an afterthought in the midsize lux category, which is a shame because i find it one of the best looking ones, next to the m45.
Old 08-03-09, 05:19 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

it is really surprising why the GS is a sales flop. IMO, it is gorgeous, better looking than the ES even. But it just doesnt have the roominess of the ES, and i guess the dash is looking a bit dated now.
Old 08-03-09, 06:25 PM
LexFather

July 2009 Top 10

* Ford F-Series: 36,327
* Toyota Camry: 33,974
* Honda Civic: 30,037
* Honda Accord: 29,774
* Toyota Corolla: 29,593
* Chevy Silverado: 27,617
* Ford Focus: 21,830
* Ford Escape: 20,241
* Nissan Altima: 19,252
* Toyota Prius: 19,173

Old 08-03-09, 08:58 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OMGWTFBBQ!!

Kia outsold Lexus !

lexus ES going to RWD?? don't count on it. That would increase cost and make it less competitive. That would also mean they'd need to make an AWD for snow areas.
That's just too much trouble.
Not to mention, the front wheels would be high like a monster truck. You know Lexus AWD's always have the front wheels 1 foot higher than the back...
Old 08-03-09, 09:53 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
OMGWTFBBQ!!

Kia outsold Lexus !
OMFG!!!

Lexus RX outsold the entire Audi brand!

So what's your point?
Old 08-03-09, 10:16 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpowerLN
OMFG!!!

Lexus RX outsold the entire Audi brand!

So what's your point?
Exactly! Kia is not in the same class as Lexus, BMW or Mercedes Benz and Lexus outsold BMW and MB for the month of July. OMFG Kia and Toyota are in the same class and Toyota butt raped Kia bigtime...
Old 08-04-09, 12:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
July 2009 Top 10

* Ford F-Series: 36,327
* Toyota Camry: 33,974
* Honda Civic: 30,037
* Honda Accord: 29,774
* Toyota Corolla: 29,593
* Chevy Silverado: 27,617
* Ford Focus: 21,830
* Ford Escape: 20,241
* Nissan Altima: 19,252
* Toyota Prius: 19,173
Totalling those:

Toyota: 82740
Ford: 78398
Honda: 59811
Chevy: 27617
Nissan: 19252

If Ford can get the Fusion above, say the Altima (quite possible I'd say) then Ford will be winning this race.
Old 08-04-09, 12:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
However I feel the COMPETITION has stepped up against the 3GS whereas with the 2GS it was really just the 5/E/GS. Today we have those cars and now the very good A6, XF, M35/45, MKZ, S80, RL.
you keep leaving out the genesis sedan, which i believe has CLOBBERED GS sales. it's an attractive, refined and roomy sedan with V6 and V8 options. yes it's still a hyundai, but it's been consistently at around 2k sales a month. putting subjective looks aside, what really does a 3GS have over a genesis?
Old 08-04-09, 04:28 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink Es350

I would not be surprised if the ES350 eventually went RWD or @ least optional AWD mostly bc of the normal increase in HP that vehicles go thru over the years. Sooner or later, I imagine that it will have too much for a FWD set up ... then again, I think that Toyota makes some car in Australia(?) that sends like 320hp to the front tires.

On the flip side, the whole CAFE thing may affect all of this but I would imagine that it would limit the power/FWD of the Avalon/Camry more so than the ES350. I do believe that ES350 should remain a luxury oriented FWD model just to keep variety in the Lexus lineup.

As for the Kia comment, I assume that dunnojack was joking & it was just a parody of another poster on this board so I would not take it seriously.
Old 08-04-09, 06:53 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

What year are we in? It does not change the fact that the GS' sales is being cannibalized by the ES. It's because of how Lexus has organized their sedan line up (which is going to become even more confusing with the HS, and if the next IS gets a hybrid and grows larger, it'll be worse). The ES is larger yet cheaper, and I have seen it in person, the confusion people get when cross shopping between the two.

Rumor has it that the current generation ES will be the last that shares a platform with the Camry. If that's true, then exactly which platform would it share? Most likely that of the GS. The GS' position is already hard to define in the line up with the two sharing separate platforms, imagine how hard it'll be to justify the GS if they share the same platform.

The GS is in an awkward position. I don't know why you're even arguing with me. It's the one thing I love about Lexus and one of my favorite cars in the world. I'm not insulting Lexus, I'm disappointed in them for not allowing the GS to shine.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you 100%, and have seen it happen time and time again.

In a nutshell: ES is bigger than the GS, offers 90% of the same features, still has the circle L on the front, and the two don't drive all that different until you push them to the limit. All of this combined with the price advantage of the ES = GS gets trampled.

It will interesting to see how Lexus positions the 4GS in relation to the ES, and now HS. They will have to come up with something good, and vastly different.
Old 08-04-09, 07:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

quick math:

Lexus popular models (ES IS RX) accounted for 88% of sales in july.

4393 ES
4029 IS
7811 RX
16233 / 18517

in contrast, Mercedes popular models (C, E, M) accounted for 72%.

4450 C
5556 E
1674 M
11680 / 16228
Old 08-04-09, 07:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

everyone: please stop the curse abbreviations and sexual analogies. they're not necessary.
Old 08-04-09, 07:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
quick math:

Lexus popular models (ES IS RX) accounted for 88% of sales in july.

4393 ES
4029 IS
7811 RX
16233 / 18517

in contrast, Mercedes popular models (C, E, M) accounted for 72%.

4450 C
5556 E
1674 M
11680 / 16228
I think that's mainly becauce Mercedes have significificantly more "unpopular", i.e., niche models that are low volume.
Lexus should have a greater variety of models, and Mercedes could do with a couple less maybe ...

Quick Reply: July 2009 Auto Sales