Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why so much hate for the SC 430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 10:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why so much hate for the SC 430?

When the SC 430 was originally shown on the auto show circuit in 2001 the automotive press and enthusiasts alike were frothing at the mouth and demanded that Lexus make the production model as close to the concept as possible...and that is exactly what we got. We can complain all day long about how it drives like a boat or is underpowered, but I really want to know why there is so much hate for the design of this car? Once hailed as a styling masterpiece and now trashed like it's garbage. What gives?

The SC was really one of the first cars to pioneer the sloping, curvaceous rear end that has now been mimicked in some form by the Solara, Pontiac G6, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Nissan 350Z, and you could even argue that the shape is similar to the SLK and plenty of others. None of those cars are charged with the criticism that the SC is, and truthfully if you blur some of the profiles and details they look quite similar in profile or at some angles and details.

The 2002-2005 models do now look a bit dated but the changes that they made at the refresh really update the car with a very elegant and unique look, IMO. I love the newer headlights, LED taillights, wheels, and the updated interior color palette. Yes, it is a bit short on performance, but for those seeking a comfortable, luxurious and smooth top down cruiser, the SC is still really the car to beat. I would also venture to say that even to this day, I still think it has one of the most beautifully crafted interiors on the market considering it's age. Also, it boasts the best interior color palette of any Lexus, EVER. Camel (best leather color IMO), Saddle at one point, Black, Ecru, and a host of beautiful woods as well.

This color combination is, IMO, probably one of the richest and most elegant in the entire industry.

So...can someone shed some light on this? Why is the SC430 so hated, even amongst Lexus enthusiasts?
Old 01-23-09, 10:41 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but I never like the look of the SC430. I like it's previous coupe look alot more.
Old 01-23-09, 10:57 AM
LexFather

A lot of it is
1. People are morons
2. Its a huge jump in execution from the first gen. It targets different buyers seemingly
3. The world got very horny (and clearly unethical and full of monkey crap looking at the recession we are in) and GTs and "soft" cars became uncool and giant 500hp cars and giant brakes and the Nurburgring and Top Gear became the standard for excellence so cars like the SC 430 stand NO CHANCE on the internet.
4. Lexus has barely updated the thing. In comparison the SL by Mercedes has been updated 3 times now and with so many options it would take 5 years to figure out what you want in your car (that is a good thing, more options the better).

Bottom line the SC 430 embodies all that is good with Lexus and bad with Lexus. Its pretty much one of the finest built vehicles at any price with good power and polorizing looks which some love with great luxury. On the other side it has polorizing looks with outdated power and older features and is not a car you want to drive at the track.

Like the ES, the SC is the car that gets beat up on the internet for being great at what it is and not great at what people want it to be. That is why people are morons b/c they don't base their opinions on what the car was meant for. Instead they base it on what they hate about Lexus and why it isn't a Porsche 911.

That said even I am not a huge fan of it unless its black and lowered with a kit and bigger wheels. Those OEM wheels from 02-05 DID NOT help with internet image

Old 01-23-09, 10:59 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

so, the question was 'why' not 'do you or don't you'

& for the record I like the 430, I just would prefer it to handle better, but the design of the car is by me. Thing I would change? The headlights, I think they look too suprised, & I don't want a suprised looking car ... looks better w. eye-lids IMO.
Old 01-23-09, 11:01 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

when I first saw that interior, I creamed my pants. I wanted to hump it. i still love the interior, but i got tired of the exterior. it became more feminine and elderly every year. I guess the design didn't age too well.
Old 01-23-09, 11:06 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I don't love the SC or hate it. I'm just ambivalent. It's a car that doesn't matter. While it has typical Lexus excellence it has just about nothing else to recommend it. Unlike the original SC it lacks both sex-appeal and driving character. Stacked up against competitors like the Mercedes SL550 or even the Bangle-butt BMW 650 convertible it looks and seems positively homely. I can understand why it doesn't sell. It just doesn't stand out in any way.

Sorry 1SICKLEX. I guess this is one of those times when we'll have to disagree.
Old 01-23-09, 11:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
I don't love the SC or hate it. I'm just ambivalent. It's a car that doesn't matter. While it has typical Lexus excellence it has just about nothing else to recommend it. Unlike the original SC it lacks both sex-appeal and driving character. Stacked up against competitors like the Mercedes SL550 or even the Bangle-butt BMW 650 convertible it looks and seems positively homely. I can understand why it doesn't sell. It just doesn't stand out in any way.

Sorry 1SICKLEX. I guess this is one of those times when we'll have to disagree.
Actually I don't really disagree. I'm indifferent as well to it. I totally respect it as a GT, its superb in that manner. Outside of that the appeal is very small for me personally.

I would love the IS-F team to work on the next SC

Old 01-23-09, 11:18 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the rarest lexus in Dubai, and not interesting.
Old 01-23-09, 11:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedflex
I agree, this is not a car that I would buy and I've owned many convertibles.

It's always difficult to make an attractive 4 seater convertible with a retractable hard roof, since the roof and related mechanism is so big and bulky.
Old 01-23-09, 11:22 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I don't hate the SC. I like it has a world class interior and nice ride, is reliable etc.

Its just that it is time to see the SC go.
Old 01-23-09, 11:23 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The current SC430 can be best described as vanilla ice cream without the sprinkles.. Here in NYC, there are more Sc430's on the road than years past possibly due to the affordabilty of the model in the used car market.. Most are now being driven by non professional 20 somethings styling and profiling while still living home with mom..
Old 01-23-09, 11:23 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's a massive departure form the first gen...the car itself is pretty, but I don't think it lived up to its predecessor
Old 01-23-09, 11:36 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take any ES over the current SC. I find that the styling of the ES's so far > the SC430 =X
Old 01-23-09, 11:48 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe if they left in the sc300 TT, it would be a different story.

people get tired of looking at a car after a few years.

As "ugly" as this car may be...... it's still better looking than the chimera IS-c.

the SC is a car that looks better with mods

I would take the SC over any ES. the ES just has fcked up proportions. Look at this bug eyed monster-

Old 01-23-09, 11:48 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Its not a bad looking car.They need to change the body style already..

Quick Reply: Why so much hate for the SC 430?