Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why so much hate for the SC 430?

Old 01-23-09, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I'll tell you why IMO in two words.... PIE PLATES

The SC430 wheels when they first came out are IMO one of the ugliest wheels Lexus ever used. Even when the inserts to make a faux five-spoke came out three or four years later, they were weak. I think they dragged down every enthusiast's opinion of this vehicle, and there were really no other OEM options offered.
Not only that, Dave, but the big "pie plate" center section you speak of probably doesn't allow much air to flow past it, either, to cool the brake rotors.

It would be interesting, compared with other Lexus products, to see now long the average SC rotor goes before significant warping occurs and it is either replaced or put on the lathe to shave off the runout.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-23-09 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 03:19 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too, everytime I am about to buy the SC430, I changed my mind the last second...
3 times, I got 01 LS430 UL, GS400, and 04 LS430 UL instead.
Old 01-23-09, 03:19 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being an SC430 owner, obviously I don't "hate" on it... but at least I can tell you why it appealled to me (us).
It's a 3rd car for us, with the sole intent of cruising. In comfort. Our previous cruising toy was a Harley Ultra Classic, a very comfortable cruising motorcycle. I don't think the SC430 is a practical everyday vehicle.
I've had Vettes and Camaro's, so the need for pure muscle has been satisfied, and I had my number of breakdowns/blown this or that, so I was concerned with RELIABILITY. I do wish it had more power, but it will blow the doors off of most every thing on the road, and that's good enough for me. I am disappointed about the lack of aftermarket goodies for the engine, should i want to goose it up a bit. I've been down that road before, and trust me, when you think you have the baddest car, bike, or boat, there's somebody out there with something badder.
For our use, the car is the right size, although when you first get in it, it seems small. If you drove up in a Crown Vic, it would seem really small. Once you've driven it alot, and taken a few trips in it, you appreciate the comfort, particularly when you get standard tires on it. You won't find a sexier, more luxurious interior.
Speaking of tires, 100% agree the pie plates are butt ugly. I have chrome G spiders on mine. That is the only mod that is obvious from the outside, unless you know a stock exhaust tip from an aftermarket one.
Like everything else in life, taste plays a dominant role, and this car's design is polarizing. It gets looks at stoplights and comments at gas stations. The cars exterior design is curvaceous and flowing, definately not sharp lines, but that doesn't threaten my masculinity.
For your money, though, when $25k can buy you a 5 or 6 year old hardtop convertible that happens to be the flagship of one of the best car manufacturers in the world, I think you're crazy to buy anything else!
Old 01-23-09, 03:22 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with 1sick.

also i liked the rims before.

those were the most unique stock rims
Old 01-23-09, 03:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's that pie plate on the wheel covering up?
Old 01-23-09, 06:23 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

because this looks so much better

and so does this

Old 01-23-09, 06:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have to admit I have always disliked the wheels. It ruined the car for me from the very first time I saw the car. I ant believe that lexus kept the ****ty design for as long as they did. If you see the worked SC;s with the nice wheels it makes the stock SC look like crap
Attached Thumbnails Why so much hate for the SC 430?-sc430concord21blkbru2500pix.jpg  
Old 01-23-09, 06:55 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Saying the pie plate wheels is what makes the SC430 a failure is like saying this wheel makes the W215 Mercedes CL600 the most ugly car in the world. It's not as if other Lexus wheels don't work on the SC430.

Seriously, most of the people who give the SC430 their harshest criticism don't even own one. Let alone being able to appreciate this car for what/whom its design is intended to please.

Since I have both the SC400 and SC430, I'll provide some of the feedbacks I've received about my cars.

1. No one I have met or know in real life has commented the SC430 as an ugly car. As a matter of fact, most of them wanted to check it out, drive it around and were surprised that this car can be had for less than $25k nowadays.

2. It's been consistent that people I know in real life see my SC400 as an old, beater car and the SC430 as a shiny new (even though it's 5 years old) Lexus. Many of these people actually thought that my SC400 is an old Acura.

3. I've taken 500+ mile long business trips plenty of times in both of my SCs. In terms of comfort the SC430 trumps the SC400, period. The ride comfort of the SC430 is very close to my CL500.

4. Stack up a Mercedes CLS500, S500 or CL500 and run it against the SC430 and see what happens. If being faster than any of these Mercedes is still considered slow to some of you, then I rest my case.

I also own a Mercedes myself and frankly, I don't care how good it looks because I am tired of having to look at it from the dealership service bay glass than having it being looked at by others on the road.

For all I know, many of you can bash on the SC430 all you want. The truth is there are just as many out there who really appreciate this car for what it is.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Why so much hate for the SC 430?-65236k1.jpg  
Old 01-23-09, 07:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

No offense Jon, but that MB wheel is like 10x better than the mismatch two-tone SC430 pie plate. I bet if you put up a poll it'd be at least 10 to 1 in favor of MB wheel even on a Lexus forum.

I like the SC430 now after studying them for some time and seeing them modified, but if you asked me in person in 2002 I'd have told you I thought it had some serious flaws.

My main point (that I either didn't make clearly or you missed) is that the sunken pie plates initially ruined the car for me and I think for many others. Sure you can put other wheels on it but Lexus did not.

The other attributes of the SC430 (interior design, top-notch quality and comfort) are what keeps me considering it as a fun toy car. But with different wheels immediately
Old 01-23-09, 07:16 PM
LexusLove3
Driver School Candidate

IMO i like it, but i would change up the rims.
Old 01-23-09, 08:15 PM
LexFather

No offense Jon, but that MB wheel is like 10x better than the mismatch two-tone SC430 pie plate. I bet if you put up a poll it'd be at least 10 to 1 in favor of MB wheel even on a Lexus forum.

I like the SC430 now after studying them for some time and seeing them modified, but if you asked me in person in 2002 I'd have told you I thought it had some serious flaws.

My main point (that I either didn't make clearly or you missed) is that the sunken pie plates initially ruined the car for me and I think for many others. Sure you can put other wheels on it but Lexus did not.

The other attributes of the SC430 (interior design, top-notch quality and comfort) are what keeps me considering it as a fun toy car. But with different wheels immediately

Yeah, what I posted too. It was like looking at a new model making waves in the industry and you look down and she has feet like Yao Ming.

Not cool

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
because this looks so much better

and so does this

Dave stop drinking. Why on earth are you posting pics of the SL 63 and the CLK 63 black series? Those are nowhere near SC competitiors

Old 01-23-09, 08:38 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

No offense taken Dave,

But seriously, that 17' MB wheel is a piece of crap for the CL600 no matter what angle you look at it, I'd rather have the pie plate.

Regarding to your thoughts about the pie plate wheels, the same rationale can be applied to the SC430's outward appearance as well. As much as there are people who hate the pie plates, there are people out there who have no problem with it as well. Just look at the SC430s you see on the roads, I am very confident to say that more than 50% of them still have pie plate wheels on their SC430.

Jon

Old 01-23-09, 09:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

what i like about the sc430:
- very attractive and elegant front interior, probably the best wood treatment in ANY lexus
- innovative electric top when it came out
- smooth and quiet if you don't have run flats

what i don't like about the sc430:
- shape looks awkward from outside from some angles
- (agree with Dave) wheel designs have been HIDEOUS, PLUS bad wheel fitment
- a car with a 'back seat' this useless should at least be fast and sporty
- poor handling (rolls like a ship)
- poor performance (too heavy and tranny too lazy)

for me on balance it just isn't compelling enough.

sure some modded ones look good, but still a pretty big compromise.

i'd rather have an SLK350 for less money, an SL550 for more money, or a 335i coupe for similar money.
Old 01-23-09, 09:41 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody would like to comment on why the sc430 is so heavy? Is it because of the hardtop? Every time I drive the sc430, it feels like a titanic (no joke) accelerating.
Old 01-23-09, 09:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by clickart
Anybody would like to comment on why the sc430 is so heavy? Is it because of the hardtop? Every time I drive the sc430, it feels like a titanic (no joke) accelerating.
the hardtop is definitely an issue, that's an easy 300-400lb maybe? forgot

i don't feel the sc430 being heavy though, a lot of times depends on how you drive. i had the gs400 and also drove the gs430. they felt about same heavy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why so much hate for the SC 430?