Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

lexus vs toyota paint

Old 09-16-08, 06:25 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I hear a lot of complaints about paint fading and no one mentions paint maintenance. Paint needs to be maintained just like the rest of your car.

You change your oil, but when was the last time you waxed the finish?

Toyota's Whites (Super White, Super White II) are excellent paints. But they have to be maintained. I had a Celica GT-S wearing this color and while it was 17 years old with original paint, it still shined like new. See pic.

You can't abandon the paint for 5 years and complain when the paint system starts to fail. That's like never changing your oil and crying when the engine siezes.

Some finishes are higher maintenance than others, this is true. Reds need special attention as they start to turn pink if you're not on it. (I'm tired of seeing pink Corollas and Matrixes on the road) Blacks need particular car washing techniques to keep the swirls from showing.

As for the paint differences, both Toyota and Lexus are good paints. The main difference I have seen is between Japanese and US-built models. Japan paints their cars better.

My MINI (built my BMW) has one of the poorest paint jobs I've seen in a while. It's soft, chips easy, is full of orange peel, and it gets swirl marks just by looking at it. Bird bombs etch into it permanently if the sun hits it.

They don't even completely paint the panels. If you open the door and peer into the jambs on the hinge side, you can see green primer.
Attached Thumbnails lexus vs toyota paint-shell.jpg  
Old 09-16-08, 02:20 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
Hand sanded alone means little without knowing how extensive the sanding went. Unless you have many many many people sanding the car at once, it takes forever to complete the job. Using a DA sander will result in a much faster and thorough job. But I guess they wanted to say it's 'hand' done for the sake of marketing . Then again, I dont have a real problem with that because some kind of sanding is better than no sanding at all. My buddy's 03 Toyota Corolla has the worse orange peel I have ever seen. You can run your hands over the lower part of the door and actually feel the orange peel.
Although it is a fact that the LS460 is wet sanded by hand, it is only done on vertical surfaces, twice, and on horizontal surfaces only when needed. All the work is done, believe it or not, by Japanese master craftsmen called "Takumi"? (sic). They are the highest skilled people that Lexus employs. Takumi are the best of the best in the automotive world and their experience is nothing short of 20 years in their expertise. Lexus employs very few of them.
Old 09-16-08, 09:13 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hav2spool
i like alot of scions paint colors. esecially the darkish charcoal grey it has almost like blueish flake looks SICK!
Lol if you guys are complaining about Lexus or Toyota paint, you should try Scion's paint hahaha If I looked at my tCs for too long the paint would chip!

Old 09-20-08, 10:37 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
yes, the LS is the only mass produced car for the people, which is still hand sanded.
The 2005 and up Acura RLs are also handsanded at the factory. You can definitely tell when looking at the paint finish because on the RL it is beautiful and virtually orange peel free and looks as smooth as glass. The new TSX had some noticeable orange peel and the TL had a little less then the TSX. The RLs I looked at, orange peel was pretty much non existent.

My GS430 has pretty bad orange peel on the rear lower areas past the rear wheel and on the sides of the trunk and actually has a noticeable drip mark in the paint at the rear end, quality control must have missed that. Higher end Mercedes and Audi have very smooth paint and have hard ceramic clear coats that are good at resisting chips and swirlmarks/light scratches but are very difficult to polish scratches/swirls out when the occur. Menzerna products are used to polish at Mercedes and other factories and I believe some Merc/Audi are also hand sanded at the factory.

One of the most disappointing paint jobs on a high end car I saw was a Bentley Continental GT coupe I saw in a parking lot after going to a auto show. The owner did not take good care of it as there were all kinds of scratches, scrapes, and touch up marks but when I was looking at it, the Bentley had horrible orange peel all over it, worse then pretty much any car I had ever seen. I love the Continental GT but for a car costing so much and with such a prestigious name it should have a much nicer paint job and finish.
Old 09-20-08, 10:55 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Toyota and Lexus use the same paint-I have painted both. Beyond that, I do not have definite proof if Lexus does anything different as they all have a lot of orange peel. Did not check the LS though. The SC has a pretty good finish, better than most out there.
While at BMW a while back I was amazed at how much orange peel was on the M3 and 5 series. It was considerable. The RL as stated above has a very good smooth finish.

Cannot comment on the durability as every car I have owned from German to US to Asian scratched fairly easily.
Old 10-26-08, 05:05 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Paint chemistry from one manufacturer to another is pretty similar, whether it Dupont, Sherwin-Williams or whoever. What is more important is "application", the condition of equipment used to apply it, and the vigilance and quality control of the team overseeing the whole process. So you can have a bad Lexus, MB, BMW, Jag or Audi paint job. There are so many tests before the paint hits the metal, that consistency would be the norm at that level, unless a gremlin in the line causes weird solvent to paint mix ratios, hence orange peel. I'm sure if you could ask their production line source, they would tell you they get it from reliable sources, as long as it conforms to Toyota/Lexus's specifications.

One thing though, Lexus applies two clear coats vs one for Toyota, unless someone can prove otherwise...

And... the LS is wet sanded between coats...

Last edited by Johnny; 10-26-08 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-26-08, 05:42 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing though, Lexus applies two clear coats vs one for Toyota
Not true at all
Old 10-26-08, 10:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by vipermann1
In terms of Paint Quality, both Lexus and MB paint's are shiny, and great color tone.

MB paint is much harder thus resists paint chips.
Lexus uses a much softer paint, so tends to chip more.
My 2002 LS430 had so many paint chips after nearly 1 year of ownership.

MY BMW looked nearly new from the front bumper and hood for nearly 3 years after purchase.

Thanks,
UZY
The germans use the BASF paint. best in the bussiness. I love my lexus but there is a reason that they germans can keep charging thousands more for their cars
Old 10-26-08, 10:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

the hood of my infiniti looked like a freakn stary night when I got rid of it after 5 years
Old 10-27-08, 02:02 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how come the japanese can't use basf paint too?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 10-27-08 at 07:25 AM. Reason: change inappropiate term
Old 10-27-08, 08:55 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The germans use the BASF paint. best in the bussiness. I love my lexus but there is a reason that they germans can keep charging thousands more for their cars
If using BASF paint results in the massive orange peel I saw on a M6 (yes, an effing M6!!) in my local BMW dealer then I am glad that Lexus isn't using the BASF paint...
Old 10-27-08, 09:14 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
If using BASF paint results in the massive orange peel I saw on a M6 (yes, an effing M6!!) in my local BMW dealer then I am glad that Lexus isn't using the BASF paint...
Would have to agree, while at a BMW dealer a few months back I looked at a few cars such as the 550, M3 , and M6. The orange peel was the first thing I noticed from 10' away. It was pretty rough and about the worse orange peel I have seen on a production car in years.

Take a look at the following thread on the M3 forum. Pics speak for themselves.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97930
Old 10-27-08, 12:36 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

the orange peel results from not sanding in between layers, no?
Old 10-27-08, 01:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

orange peel has more to do with the process than paint quality. I can spray on Dupont paint and make it look horrible, yet I can spray on generic paint and make it look better. The general rule for most things are: 20% product, 80% application.
Old 10-27-08, 03:04 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

i see the basf logo on show cars, and they all look nice