Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

E90/92 M3 priced (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-08, 02:22 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E90/92 M3 priced (merged threads)

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - January 13, 2008... During its press conference today at the 2008 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, BMW announced the pricing for the highly anticipated 2008 M3 Coupe and M3 Sedan. When the vehicles go on sale in March, the Coupe will be priced at $57,275 and the Sedan at $54,575. Sharing the high-revving 414-horsepower V8 and balanced chassis designed to be "faster than its engine," this March, BMW M GmbH will offer the most powerful, best performing series production M3s to the North American market.
The all-new 2008 M3 Coupe and M3 Sedan-the fourth generation of compact sport vehicles which set the standard in minimizing any compromises between race-inspired performance and luxury and convenience-feature the first V8 in a series-production BMW M3. They also feature driver-adjustable settings for crucial dynamic controls encompassing engine response, steering, damping and stability (with an available steering-wheel-mounted "MDrive" button to store the preferences) and a sumptuous interior which can be optimized to the driver's desires including the comprehensive entertainment/navigation system operated through BMW's latest iDrive controller.

Additionally, the 2008 M3 Coupe is the first production vehicle in its segment with a carbon fiber reinforced roof. The material shares the same safety properties as steel, but is four times lighter. Weighing around 11 lbs. less than a standard steel roof and approximately 44 lbs. less than a steel roof incorporating a moonroof, the carbon fiber reinforced roof provides significant weight saving at the highest point of the car-lowering the car's center of gravity-to increase agility and responsiveness while limiting dive and roll in turns.

Racing provided the reason for the original M3's 1986 creation as the company had to produce road-going homologation versions of its 3 Series Coupe to enter the motorsports version in the German Touring Car Championship. The original M3's popularity provided the impetus to continue developing the M3, making it both a better performer and more inviting road car. The M3 has continued to evolve along with the underlying 3 Series, the company's most popular, upon which it is based.

In 1987 North Americans received their first taste of the high-rpm, naturally aspirated 2.3-liter four-cylinder M3 Coupe's 192-hp and thus was born a legend on this side of the Atlantic. The next generation arrived in 1995 with a 3.0-liter (and later, 3.2-liter) 240-hp inline-six powerplant. In 1997 the first M3 Sedan joined the family and the first M3 Convertible followed shortly thereafter. The most-recent version, available from 2001-2006 as either a coupe or convertible, again was offered with six-cylinder power, this time providing 333 hp from its 3.2 liters. This vehicle was BMW's first use of SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox) for the U.S. market.
link : http://www.press.bmw.com/pressclub/us02.nsf

E90 M3 is cheaper than IS-F. I hate to say it, but it doesn't look good for Lexus.

Last edited by STIG; 01-13-08 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-13-08, 02:25 PM
JessePS

Interesting how the Coupe more then the Sedan lol

I have a feeling Lexus will revise the price now before it hits showroom floors, so they can have an even larger impact.
Old 01-13-08, 02:29 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JessePS
Interesting how the Coupe more then the Sedan lol

I have a feeling Lexus will revise the price now before it hits showroom floors, so they can have an even larger impact.
IS-F will go close to invoice after a while. I am sure the invoice for IS-F is about 8K difference from the MSRP.

When I said IS-F is priced too high, people jumped all over me.

M3 is priced fair, not cheap. (I still think paying over 50k for entry car with big motor is pretty crazy)
Old 01-13-08, 02:33 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Default E90/92 M3 priced

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - January 13, 2008... During its press conference today at the 2008 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, BMW announced the pricing for the highly anticipated 2008 M3 Coupe and M3 Sedan. When the vehicles go on sale in March, the Coupe will be priced at $57,275 and the Sedan at $54,575. Sharing the high-revving 414-horsepower V8 and balanced chassis designed to be "faster than its engine," this March, BMW M GmbH will offer the most powerful, best performing series production M3s to the North American market.
The all-new 2008 M3 Coupe and M3 Sedan-the fourth generation of compact sport vehicles which set the standard in minimizing any compromises between race-inspired performance and luxury and convenience-feature the first V8 in a series-production BMW M3. They also feature driver-adjustable settings for crucial dynamic controls encompassing engine response, steering, damping and stability (with an available steering-wheel-mounted "MDrive" button to store the preferences) and a sumptuous interior which can be optimized to the driver's desires including the comprehensive entertainment/navigation system operated through BMW's latest iDrive controller.

Additionally, the 2008 M3 Coupe is the first production vehicle in its segment with a carbon fiber reinforced roof. The material shares the same safety properties as steel, but is four times lighter. Weighing around 11 lbs. less than a standard steel roof and approximately 44 lbs. less than a steel roof incorporating a moonroof, the carbon fiber reinforced roof provides significant weight saving at the highest point of the car-lowering the car's center of gravity-to increase agility and responsiveness while limiting dive and roll in turns.

Racing provided the reason for the original M3's 1986 creation as the company had to produce road-going homologation versions of its 3 Series Coupe to enter the motorsports version in the German Touring Car Championship. The original M3's popularity provided the impetus to continue developing the M3, making it both a better performer and more inviting road car. The M3 has continued to evolve along with the underlying 3 Series, the company's most popular, upon which it is based.

In 1987 North Americans received their first taste of the high-rpm, naturally aspirated 2.3-liter four-cylinder M3 Coupe's 192-hp and thus was born a legend on this side of the Atlantic. The next generation arrived in 1995 with a 3.0-liter (and later, 3.2-liter) 240-hp inline-six powerplant. In 1997 the first M3 Sedan joined the family and the first M3 Convertible followed shortly thereafter. The most-recent version, available from 2001-2006 as either a coupe or convertible, again was offered with six-cylinder power, this time providing 333 hp from its 3.2 liters. This vehicle was BMW's first use of SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox) for the U.S. market.
What do you all think about M3 pricing compare to IS-F? I also crossed post it on the car chat forum.
Old 01-13-08, 02:37 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Bigger engine, more torque, better slalom speed - all for $1500 more, and that's only the performance side of the equation. Seems better than fair, actually. With the glowing reviews this car is getting, Lexus doesn't need to undercut BMW to keep demand high.

Originally Posted by STIG
M3 is priced fair, not cheap. (I still think paying over 50k for entry car with big motor is pretty crazy)
I paid more than $55k for my C43, and that was a car that came out 10 years ago. I thought that was a great deal then. The bottom line is that $50k+ entry-level performance models are the norm; it's the price of high performance sedans and to be honest, entry-level luxury is the only place this side of exotic-priced supercars (like the LF-A or R8) that the low weight overhead of a smaller vehicle makes performance sensible.

Either way, the evolution of technology since the early Benz C-class overperformers makes both cars seem like a steal. Even the M3 with less literage produces 100+ hp more than my old car, and has almost the same torque to boot. I'm excited that both cars are being offered at a price point that's affordable to virtually any car enthusiast.

Last edited by gengar; 01-13-08 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-13-08, 02:51 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

It was originally projected at what... $65K-$70K?
Old 01-13-08, 03:06 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper408
It was originally projected at what... $65K-$70K?
I was definitely thinking 60-65k.
Old 01-13-08, 03:20 PM
miky702
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STIG
IS-F will go close to invoice after a while. I am sure the invoice for IS-F is about 8K difference from the MSRP.

When I said IS-F is priced too high, people jumped all over me.

I agree and unless the IS-f is indeed a very limited edition model, I don't see how it can meet its sales target without heavy discount later on.

Simply put, if the more expensive 335i sells better than the IS350, I don't see how the more expensive IS-f can reverse that trend.
Old 01-13-08, 03:23 PM
JessePS

One thing. Lexus is only for the select few anyways.

People still don't give them a time of day.
Old 01-13-08, 03:48 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Price is on the mark... I predicted 55k. Just a few grand more than the outgoing $49k E46 M3. The M3 will continue to dominate this segment. 6 speed, incredible chassis, engineering, and a v8 that screams like a banshee, just the whole package. Two down http://youtube.com/watch?v=hhPW9wcizzA one to go
Old 01-13-08, 04:17 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Why is the bmw coupe always more expensive than the sedan?
Old 01-13-08, 04:19 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

low blow from BMW.

However,
-how well is the base bmw equipped?
-how much more is their gas guzzler tax?
Old 01-13-08, 04:28 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

isnt tat true for most cars? the coupe looks better and for a lack of a better word, is more sexy. therefore, they can price it more. lol
Old 01-13-08, 04:34 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ThoLe
for one the Coupe has a CF roof while the sedan does not. That's not cheap.

Also the coupe may have more content (I believe that is the case with the 335i coupe more standard features than the sedan).

I said in the post of the ISF that it would be interesting to see if BMW would be significantly more and many people had estimated $60K to $65K base for the M3.

I think this is a huge win for the BMW v Lexus.

Don't get me wrong I love either the M3 or the ISF but if they are priced just about the same, I may lean more towards the Bimmer. Hard to say why, but I do love high-rpm engines as I currently drive a S2000, I don't mind that it's lower on TQ.

I would like to sample the ISF with it's 8-speed superfast autobox. So far the M3 does not have a autobox which I think could be a deciding factor for some while others may rather have the 6-MT you can only get in the M3.

Great times to be in the market (IMO)

Just FWIW I have the latest issue of R&T in which they estimated the base price of the coupe to be $65K with options (est $70K) now with the actual price take $8K off that estimate so what's not to like about that?

But the point is the M3 tested:

0-60 4.1sec
0-100 9.4sec
1/4 mile 12.5sec@114.8mph

the IFS tested in R&T (not too bad)
0-60 4.4sec
0-100 10.2sec
1/4 mile 12.8sec@113.3 mph

the latest 436hp Corvette tested in R&T had
0-60 4.3sec
0-100 9.5sec
1/4 mile 12.6sec@115.7mph

In other words the M3 is fairly quick
Old 01-13-08, 04:43 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumb move from Lexus! They will sell only because they're not trying to sell a bunch of them. Plus, the best thing about the Lexus IS-F over the BMW M3 was the interior! But, since exterior looks, performance & PRICE are my main concerns....I'm going German!

I got my luxury LS...when it comes to performance, the BASE model will do!

Quick Reply: E90/92 M3 priced (merged threads)