Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best engine oil!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 01:57 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too many variables, you need to get a large sample of people together to send in UOA to Blackstone to draw any conslusions.

The 350Z club did it and found what oil worked best in their engines. Hint, warm climate drivers would be best buying Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30, racing drivers should get a different one.

Without doing oil analysis on the specific engine you won't be able to find the "best" oil. The best oil for me is whatever is best for spirited daily driving, long drain intervals, and inexpensive which turned out to be PP. A racer, a force induction modder, and a short drain interval guy would choose a different one. Castrol GTX is good cheap conventonal oil the outperforms many "better" oils if you are a cheapskate.

Just avoid Mobil 1, its a rip off since they changed the forumla a few years back, before that it was my favorite oil, now its just overpriced for what you get.

Last edited by toy4two; 11-27-07 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 09:10 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm happy with either Mobil 1 10W-30 or Chevron 10W-30 in my car. Don't dismiss Chevron oil - it's very good stuff for the price and most big rigs like Kenworth, Peterbuilt, Freightliner and Sterling factory-fill with Chevron Delo or Mobil Delvac.
Old 11-28-07, 11:54 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

I heard Eneos is good. #1 used oil in Japan. JDM FTW!!
http://news.hspn.com/articles/886/1/...ket/Page1.html

Old 04-27-09, 06:52 AM
LexFather

Thought I would bump this. I've used Castrol for years but have tried recently Mobil 1 and Pennzoil and then back to Castrol. I've used regular, blend and synthetic and never have I had any engine issues related to oil.

I just changed the oil in the new vehicle and tried Royal Purple for the first time. I guess to me once you change the oil and don't let it breakdown where its beyond filthy you will be okay.

Funny but the RP was on sale and was around $45 for the 6 quarts I needed. Clearly regular Castrol would run me about $15 or so.

Old 04-27-09, 07:05 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I LOVE threads like this, cuz it isn't even a contest... Amsoil hands down, and no, I don't sell it. Research numbers over 15 years, no other oil breaks down slower or protects better. Have run in my last 12 cars, NEVER an engine issue related to oil, 125K on a Celica, 18K of which was with a cracked engine block, 60K on a hard-driven 4-Runner, 55K on the Sienna, Mustang GT, BMW 330i, etc. AND always an improvement in mileage. Ran it in my RX-8, rotary engine, no seal issues at all. Royal Purple would be my second choice.

Some modders in ATL ran a Cobra and modified Mustang GT for 10K miles and compared Castrol, Mobile 1 and Pennzoil... Amsoil won the test with 1/4 the breakdown, lab-tested.

ONLY oil I will ever use... period
Old 04-27-09, 07:25 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

not sure if i'm a fan of royal purple after reading this:

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...mW6PM,b1M25KBS
Old 04-27-09, 07:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe Lexus recommends Mobil 1 or Toyota motor oil for its newer models i.e. IS350, F, et.al Why not stick with that?

I stick with factory recommended Toyota 5w30 dino oil for my Rav4 and the crankcase remains clean between changes..
Old 04-27-09, 07:46 AM
leedogg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I LOVE threads like this, cuz it isn't even a contest... Amsoil hands down, and no, I don't sell it. Research numbers over 15 years, no other oil breaks down slower or protects better. Have run in my last 12 cars, NEVER an engine issue related to oil, 125K on a Celica, 18K of which was with a cracked engine block, 60K on a hard-driven 4-Runner, 55K on the Sienna, Mustang GT, BMW 330i, etc. AND always an improvement in mileage. Ran it in my RX-8, rotary engine, no seal issues at all. Royal Purple would be my second choice.

Some modders in ATL ran a Cobra and modified Mustang GT for 10K miles and compared Castrol, Mobile 1 and Pennzoil... Amsoil won the test with 1/4 the breakdown, lab-tested.

I agree with this, I only use amsoil oil + filter.

If you want to see actual test results on some oils you can read up on a comparison here:

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Although I wish they had included amsoil in their study...
Old 04-27-09, 08:02 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rdgdawg

I've been very happy with my Amsoil ATF fluid.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I believe Lexus recommends Mobil 1 or Toyota motor oil for its newer models i.e. IS350, F, et.al Why not stick with that?

I stick with factory recommended Toyota 5w30 dino oil for my Rav4 and the crankcase remains clean between changes..
Yes, b/c people only stick to the owners manual. This entire thread is about following the owners manual.

Old 04-27-09, 08:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

The original person who started this post was in Hong Kong, and I know across the world certain oils might not be found. That's why I recommended Liqui Moly (Lubro Moly) in the U.S., as a possibility since it has a wide following outside the U.S. Amsoil is an excellent oil, but is very difficult to find outside of North America. It was non-existent in Mexico. Even German Castrol, the Castrol 0W30 differs across countries in its chemical makeup, but as long as I can continue to obtain it, I will use it in my RX300.
Old 04-27-09, 08:46 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Yes, b/c people only stick to the owners manual. This entire thread is about following the owners manual.
You are missing the point with my post but then again your thread is pretty vague. "Best engine oil" in which regard?? Leaves thread for not having knowledge on the subject...
Old 04-27-09, 10:01 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline SynPower 5W-30.
Old 04-27-09, 01:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As far as following the Owner's Manual goes, with a fairly new engine, it's usually the best way to go, especially for valid warranty coverage. But, as an engine ages, wears, and wider tolerances open up between the rings and cylinder walls, valve stems, bearing clearance, etc.....oil consumption can go up if the same thinner-weight oils are used as in newer engines. That is why high-mileage oil is formulated, which is usually of a higher viscosity than the thin stuff most manufacturers want in new engines. The higher-mileage oil is thicker, has a higher viscosity, will help seal up the wider tolerances in worn engines, and lessen (but not prevent) oil use. Likewise, it will delay, though of course not prevent, the inevitable time for an engine rebuild/overhaul. The thicker, high-mileage oil, though, may give lower fuel economy and harder starting in cold weather because of the drag it puts on the engine and starter whan cold.
Old 07-17-09, 09:37 PM
LexFather

Has anyone noticed the great deals on Oil at Wal-Mart, Advance and other stores?

Is Group III/IV/V on the bottle?

I'm confused about Mobil1. Is it a true synthetic or a base III with additives?

Last edited by LexFather; 07-17-09 at 10:02 PM.

Old 08-05-09, 05:19 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default I stumbled into this deal last week...

I was browsing Amazon for Pennzoil Platinum oil and saw that I could buy Pennzoil Platinum 100% synthetic for $3.99. Well since this stuff usually sells for over $6 a quart, I jumped on it. That's $3.99 for a case of 6 quarts, mind you. They had four cases in stock and I bought them all. They arrived today. I wound up getting 24 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum for $16. I also got free super-saver shipping. I see that the lowest price for this oil on Amazon today is $6.49 a quart. I don't know if this was a clearance or just a case of mis-pricing but I'm one happy shopper. I'm set for oil for a year

Quick Reply: Best engine oil!?