Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

mmarshall - I believe

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 07:10 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ff_
Absolutely not true. Like I mentioned further up the thread, I drove my 330i (RWD) through several MN winters, where ice and deep snow are a very common occurance. It handled the conditions better than any FWD car (w/ all season tires) that I ever owned.
We have to agree to disagree then. My friend who also has a 330i
and ALWAYS puts snow tires on gets stuck at least 2 times a year...
Not to mention the times when he has to give up going around hilly
unplowed roads because his car won't go up that hill.

Some people with RWD cars make a mess out of winter traffic
around here. Why? Because they think they possess some special
physics defying skill that makes them great, legendary, historical
drivers

AWD+winter tires in conjunction with careful driving is the best
choice for winter driving.
Old 02-28-07, 08:28 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
AWD+winter tires in conjunction with careful driving is the best choice for winter driving.
We agree on this point
Old 02-28-07, 10:54 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Incendiary
OP?

I thought it was a bad idea to drive in others' tracks for fear that they'd have turned into ice?
OP = other people. You have to watch your car as well as other cars that may wander in your path. The other day I was on a major side road guy in front of me was going about 20 mph and all the sudden he gives it too much gas and he is completely sideways on the road. I was a good way back but had to come to a complete stop lucy there was no one passing in the other direction when he lost it.

About the tracks, this was thick slush and semi trucks were leaving good solid ground, while the other lanes were 3" of slush.

Last edited by rai; 02-28-07 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-28-07, 12:19 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by marshmallo
We have to agree to disagree then. My friend who also has a 330i
and ALWAYS puts snow tires on gets stuck at least 2 times a year...
Not to mention the times when he has to give up going around hilly
unplowed roads because his car won't go up that hill.

Some people with RWD cars make a mess out of winter traffic
around here. Why? Because they think they possess some special
physics defying skill that makes them great, legendary, historical
drivers

AWD+winter tires in conjunction with careful driving is the best
choice for winter driving.
I would argue that your friend needs new snow tires. I recently had a 328i loaner (with all seasons) and it was terrible in the snow. My 550 with Dunlop M3s is far superior and I've never had an issue driving up the hill by our house. The 328i had no chance.

I agree nothing beats AWD and the if you add in snows, you have an incredible machine. However, I'm torn by the fact that 99% of the time you just don't need AWD. Worse you burden the car with additional weight worse fuel economy. So if I have a choice, I'm probably going RWD (say Caddy STS) and putting snows on.
Old 02-28-07, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I agree nothing beats AWD and the if you add in snows, you have an incredible machine. However, I'm torn by the fact that 99% of the time you just don't need AWD. .
Depends on where you live, of course. Here in the D.C. area we live in a borderline region between normally severe and mild-winter areas.....the amount of snow and ice we get here in this area varies tremendously from one year to the next. AWD is good when you do need it, though you are correct that much of the time you don't.

And Incendiary, the guy who started the thread, now lives in PA, a more-severe winter region than D.C.
Old 03-01-07, 02:40 AM
siamiam
Driver

Originally Posted by thetopdog
Does he post on any forums? I would really like to speak with him and get a few tips
im not sure if he gets online, the next time i see him ill ask. i always see him and a Camaro SS going the other direction from me
Old 03-01-07, 06:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I agree nothing beats AWD and the if you add in snows, you have an incredible machine. However, I'm torn by the fact that 99% of the time you just don't need AWD. Worse you burden the car with additional weight worse fuel economy. So if I have a choice, I'm probably going RWD (say Caddy STS) and putting snows on.
I'm not the only one after all that thinks AWD is a tad overkill.
Old 03-01-07, 02:12 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
A few thoughts come to mind:

1) Are your snow tires becoming worn out? Bridgestone, for instance, only uses the multi-cell compound in the top 50% (I believe it's 50) of the tread depth. Once you wear beyond that, not only do you have less tread available, but you're also down to normal tire compound, which isn't as effective as the multi-cell.
2) Your traction/stability control might need re-calibration. The '03 ZHP I had needed it during its first winter. Was fishtailing more than normal after a fresh snowfall. Dealer reprogrammed it, and everything was fine again. They'll do this under warranty.

Absolutely not true. Like I mentioned further up the thread, I drove my 330i (RWD) through several MN winters, where ice and deep snow are a very common occurance. It handled the conditions better than any FWD car (w/ all season tires) that I ever owned.
Interesting about reprogramming the traction control... More fishtailing than normal was the only way you could tell something was wrong?

My tires are Dunlop WinterSport M3s and they appear to have almost all of their tread depth still intact...

To be honest, the only problem I had with the BMW was fishtailing while going uphill in some snow/slush/ice. I wouldn't have thought much of it if the early 90's minivan behind me hadn't zoomed past me after I turned off onto a side street. The other issues I had were with different vehicles. I guess my experiences this winter have given me a newfound respect for AWD would be my ultimate conclusion. To say that I will only own AWD and 4WD cars from now on would be overkill.
Old 03-01-07, 03:31 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Interesting about reprogramming the traction control... More fishtailing than normal was the only way you could tell something was wrong?

My tires are Dunlop WinterSport M3s and they appear to have almost all of their tread depth still intact...

To be honest, the only problem I had with the BMW was fishtailing while going uphill in some snow/slush/ice. I wouldn't have thought much of it if the early 90's minivan behind me hadn't zoomed past me after I turned off onto a side street. The other issues I had were with different vehicles. I guess my experiences this winter have given me a newfound respect for AWD would be my ultimate conclusion. To say that I will only own AWD and 4WD cars from now on would be overkill.
Well that minivan might have had AWD - or possibly a kid in the car that had to go potty

As MMarshall pointed out, you do live in a AWD area or at least a Blizzak WS-50 area
Old 03-01-07, 05:32 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rai
OP = other people.
OP = Original Poster

Hope you haven't gotten too many conversations out of context